Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Zucker firing candy hearts at the Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Schultz is right-handed and should clearly play through the end of this year (but be let go in the offseason).

It comes down to JJ or Riiks as 3LD for the playoffs this year.

For next year, unless we move JJ's $3.3M we may have to roll with Ruh as 3RD which...gross.
JJ-Schultz it is then for this year.

I like Riikola but I don't think he's better than JJ or Petts. And he doesn't balance a pair with Schultz or Marino as well as they each do.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Not really. Lose Schultz. Move out Bjugstad. We good.

I’d also be really hurt to move Murray as he is about to hit the age for prime goaltending.

Plus there is an expansion so if Jars and Murray are as good as we think we can easily lose one in a year regardless of contract.
You sure that's enough? I haven't run the numbers but we got a lot of RFAs to feed. In a perfect world sure keep both.

Zucker adds the Schultz money back. MM and TJ combined will raise their cap by roughly 5.5-6.5M

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
TJ should fire his agent if 2M is his range. He has a legit chance at leading the league in categories, all star game, and potential Vezina votes...3.5M is a good thought.

MM will be between 6.5-7.5M..

Hard to pay for both and not lose a real good player.

Thank you for bringing a non-Fantasyland take about the cost of Murray and Jarry next year.

The amount of wishful thinking on Murray's salary for next year, 1 year away from UFA, is comical. If he stays good the rest of this year he's getting $7M+ next year.

Reactions: Flying Dego

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
You sure that's enough? I haven't run the numbers but we got a lot of RFAs to feed. In a perfect world sure keep both.

Zucker adds the Schultz money back. MM and TJ combined will raise their cap by roughly 5.5-6.5M

Simon, McCann and Kahun should combine for something like $8-9M. MM/TJ would be $10M. I guess if you move Bjugs for nothing you're right on the number...but you still don't have a 3RD.

Reactions: Flying Dego

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Thank you for bringing a non-Fantasyland take about the cost of Murray and Jarry next year.

The amount of wishful thinking on Murray's salary for next year, 1 year away from UFA, is comical. If he stays good the rest of this year he's getting $7M+ next year.

If both play really well I can guess 10.5M is easily cleared for both contracts...no thanks.

MM is great. I don't want to pay him that much. Simply put I feel it hurts our team more than helps. Pay the cheaper guy that is killing it and stock up the team. Team defense and depth wins cups.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Translation: I will puke.

But ZAR is vomit is an undeniable truth.
giphy.gif

In my nhl ea game, I don't even trade him. I hate him so much I demote him to the ahl and bench him there.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Only shot that beat Jarry tonight-- and he faced some great ones-- was a deflection.

Quite the fortuitous goaltending 'problem' developing for the Pens . . . for this year and the summer.

Only HF posters would consider having two great goaltenders a problem. I hope they share the load so Murray doesn't get a big contract. I know Jarry won't get a big contract no matter what. Murray only got $3.5 million after winning two Cups so I don't see this as a problem. I still believe we keep both until the expansion draft and then decide who to protect. That way we lose a goalie and not someone like Kahun. Keep the great depth unless we are offered something really good which usually isn't the case for goaltenders.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
People do realize the reason Riikola looks good is because of confirmation bias. He is playing ten minutes so you don’t notice him and all he has to do is move the puck a lil bit. And people go OOOOOO.

Also, LOL at someone saying Riikola has # 1 D in him.

I find it hilarious a forum that literally buries Kris Letang every other game thinks Jusso is anything special.

That's me.

I meant first pairing d man potential - whether or not that makes a difference of #1 d or #2 isn't really the point.

Who knows. He definitely isn't there now, but he most certainly has the potential. If he cared to put in the work and got the opportunity. Gogo got that opportunity and where'd he end up? First d unit.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I just look at the high danger chances Rust hasn't finished in the last few, and as noted earlier, he was putting home 1 in 2 or 3 of those a month ago. Him going cold and having no real option on the other side is tough combo, but, as I've said, I think JR sorts things out in the top 6 a little more, and that has a trickle down effect on the bottom 6.

Kahun is skating and will be back soon. I see him on that line when he gets back. Kahun-Malkin-Rust

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's me.

I meant first pairing d man potential - whether or not that makes a difference of #1 d or #2 isn't really the point.

Who knows. He definitely isn't there now, but he most certainly has the potential. If he cared to put in the work and got the opportunity. Gogo got that opportunity and where'd he end up? First d unit.

Gogo is a decent enough comparison for Riikola’s skill set, but Gogo put up 20 in 40 in his rookie season.

That’s more than Riikola has put up in his NHL career.

The issue with Jusso is he has a skill set of an offensive D, but doesn’t produce and his defensive decisions aren’t good enough to use him as a two way d.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I personally like Riikola but I heard something from Sully today that really caught my attention. He said "Pets is not a guy who just fires it off the glass and out and we need that vision on our defense." And I think that's what he hates about Riikola. Riiko is a simple player. I like his skillset. But I think Sully does not.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
JJ-Schultz it is then for this year.

I like Riikola but I don't think he's better than JJ or Petts. And he doesn't balance a pair with Schultz or Marino as well as they each do.
I actually liked how Riikola looked with Letang. I don't think he's better than JJ or Petts defensively, but offensively I think he is, I think he's more physical than Petts, but not more than JJ.

Which is to be expected given Riikola's experience so far, but there are so many good things there to want to play him, but you know what, lack of logic dictates, he should be out there with Geno's line..JJ I mean.

Also, Schultz is such crap since he has been back, I actually would rather see Trotman in over him.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I personally like Riikola but I heard something from Sully today that really caught my attention. He said "Pets is not a guy who just fires it off the glass and out and we need that vision on our defense." And I think that's what he hates about Riikola. Riiko is a simple player. I like his skillset. But I think Sully does not.

I agree with Sully.

Except JJ is far worse at what he is describing. Firing picks to nowhere.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So then is ZAR a complex player like Pettersson?

lol

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Is Riikola guilty of doing that to the point it's a problem? I personally don't think he does it any more than anyone else. Just a game or two ago he took hit after hit to keep from turning the puck over since nothing was there. I think you yourself even mentioned it.

From what I get (when I glue my eyes to him to see how he's doing) I notice him do that if the F core can't get open or the line is wiped out tired or repeated failed attempts at breaking out. And that would be good vision - alleviating pressure.

Last Riikola post because I'm not this die hard Riikola guy. My entire point is he's under valued and I think your right, Sully is not fond of him. If it really is for his 'vision' I think that is a bull shit cop out from MS.
Oh... I don't think Sully would pair him up with tang either if his vision was an issue.

I'm stubborn in that I think they just don't play him a lot so his value won't shoot up because he is a great depth guy. If plays a lot and does well he's gone... one less (cheap) depth guy.

Reactions: ChaosAgent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad