Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Sens play a perfect clean game while being routed by the Pens 5-2

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You know, this isn't Olli Maatta type rookie impact either. Maatta was insulated on a third pairing, with a better partner. Marino is a whole different animal. What a godsend. As I've been saying for 6 weeks, Marino's emergence and Geno's revitalization has opened up an opportunity that I don't think anyone could've foreseen three months ago (and which the hockey gods keep trying to kill off, but I digress).

Eh, I reckoned this was kinda a possibility three months ago. But I'm a deluded optimist.

I also think that the injuries are the hockey gods doing us a favour (right now at least). I think it's produced the adversity this team needed to really take that final step and come together. Now it's just about maintaining it, fine tuning it, and hopefully being fit come the post-season.

I never saw Marino coming though. I think we might have stumbled on Letang Mk 2.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Chris Cuthbert on TSN put it really nicely, Sully knows how to coach superstars, he knows not to keep them on the bench, when it is damn obvious that Geno wanted to get back out there. He was standing whole 2 minutes of PK, last 45 seconds he was standing by the door waiting to jump out. He was going to go on the ice no matter what. Sully wasnt going to get in his way, simple as that.
Well, then that was a stupid decision nonetheless. Again not worth the potential downside, just not.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Chris Cuthbert on TSN put it really nicely, Sully knows how to coach superstars, he knows not to keep them on the bench, when it is damn obvious that Geno wanted to get back out there. He was standing whole 2 minutes of PK, last 45 seconds he was standing by the door waiting to jump out. He was going to go on the ice no matter what. Sully wasnt going to get in his way, simple as that.

And everyone is calling him and Malkin idiots if Malkin gets hurt there. It was stupid. Letang’s fragile self was also out there at the end. Send out the plugs.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010

Someone gets it. People want to protect Malkin because we’d lost Guentzel and because of the injuries, but there isn’t a coach in the world who is keeping a superstar on the bench there. I know it’s tough but that’s this game and Geno only knows one way to play. He’s fine.

Reactions: cvrle1

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
anyone with a link to the jake injury?

If Jakes out long term maybe call Edmonton and say “no no no we’re good for D but you got any wingers we can have? We don’t have a 6th anymore but have a 7th.”

Have you looked at their team? They don’t have one available. Call Anaheim and see what they’ve got.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Also I thought Simon had a very strong game tonight, props to him! Nice Call by Sully putting in Blandisi, that clearly paid dividends tonight. He has a real good feel for this group.
simon had a wonderful game, super strong on the puck...he and Horny were really agressive...Sully moved McCann to their line and kind of benched kahun and Blandisi

Reactions: BillPrep and Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
On the Geno thing...

I don't like seeing him out there in situations like that*. But, if you want the guy to put his faith in you, you've got to show that you've got faith in him, and I think giving him situations like that are part of that. Maybe you're better off skipping that one but coaching is a people business. I guess its not a big deal to me now he's not injured.

*Actually, I didn't see it, because somebody really jumped the gun with this thread and I thought the match was over and I was just super behind and didn't watch the last 3 minutes...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad