Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Sens play a perfect clean game while being routed by the Pens 5-2

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
STUPID stuff from Sully sending Malkin out at the end.

EDIT: And Jack Johnson needed to cold cock Chabot there.
I didn't see your post initially but yeah, kinda silly putting Geno out there like that.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Malkin knew what time it was, he isn’t 14 years old. Again, he can take care of himself. There’s no way Sullivan was keeping him on the bench there.
G was actually laughing while holding off 2 guys, too. He knew what they were doing and credit to him - he was stopping.

Refs really blew that one bad. But remember... PERFECT GAME by Ottawa. No minors, eh?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That Marino play had 3 parts to it.

1) He came flying down like a bat outta hell to keep the puck in.
2) He stops, makes an insane move around a dman and frees up space
3) He gets a pass through 2 guys over to Horny for a goal.

That was insane. The way Schultz is playing this season, he would have backed out of the zone w/o any confidence. Marino was like "Naah.. **** this. I got it."

You know, this isn't Olli Maatta type rookie impact either. Maatta was insulated on a third pairing, with a better partner. Marino is a whole different animal. What a godsend. As I've been saying for 6 weeks, Marino's emergence and Geno's revitalization has opened up an opportunity that I don't think anyone could've foreseen three months ago (and which the hockey gods keep trying to kill off, but I digress).

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I don’t want to get all xenophobic, but whack a Malkin exists because only 17 of the 90ish nfl officials aren’t Canadian ex goons... and 16 of those 17 are american ex goons...

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
And yeah, the only thing likely to stop the Geno trio is injury. Those guys are unreal. Just crazy good in pretty much every facet of their respective games.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
G was actually laughing while holding off 2 guys, too. He knew what they were doing and credit to him - he was stopping.

Refs really blew that one bad. But remember... PERFECT GAME by Ottawa. No minors, eh?

Only thing missing was him chirping their bench on the way to the dressing room.

Reactions: ColePens

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Remember when 100 year old Chris Kunitz sent the Sens into the clown dark ages?

So good

so-good.gif

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
I hate to be critical after a win but considering how chippy this game was at times and how physical the Sens played, was it really necessary to put Geno out there with under a minute in the game?

Chris Cuthbert on TSN put it really nicely, Sully knows how to coach superstars, he knows not to keep them on the bench, when it is damn obvious that Geno wanted to get back out there. He was standing whole 2 minutes of PK, last 45 seconds he was standing by the door waiting to jump out. He was going to go on the ice no matter what. Sully wasnt going to get in his way, simple as that.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I hate to be critical after a win but considering how chippy this game was at times and how physical the Sens played, was it really necessary to put Geno out there with under a minute in the game?
Of course it wasn't. But I don't think wild horses would have been able to keep Geno on the bench. He is who he is: a big, emotional, insanely talented kid.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad