Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Positive Thoughts Lead to Points!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I will admit that I was willing to trade Rust to move JJ. I feel great shame.

Yeah.. just can't do that. Rusty and Tanev being in the lineup is the spark you need to get something going.

And I can't say it enough - this game was NOTHING like the playoff series last year. This Pens team was on the Isles asses all game.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
This game has me f***ing amped!

giphy.gif

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
--- I watched the two crap goals in the second, then turned off, then only came back in OT. I guess that's on me for not showing enough faith, but if this team couldn't consistently do better when I wasn't watching, that'd be great. I swear I'm a curse.

+++ This is the Bryan Rust I'd never trade.

Based on the tiny amount I did see I thought that we were still playing the right way, but were maybe a bit anxious and frenetic. Hopefully a win settles the nerves. Riikola's decision making disappointed me, Guentzel's play disappointed me... Bjugstad is turning a corner and maybe finding his place. If he does, that's big. That's worth being patient over. Feels like there's a lot of hurry to cast off pieces when we're not even 20 games in and doing well.

We are now on a 5 game streak of 60%+ xGF%, which I think matches what most of us are seeing, and have 7 points out of the possible 10.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah.. just can't do that. Rusty and Tanev being in the lineup is the spark you need to get something going.

And I can't say it enough - this game was NOTHING like the playoff series last year. This Pens team was on the Isles asses all game.
Rust has a point in all 5 games since he came back. 3 goals. Dude's playing out of his mind.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Riikola looked like a young Letang (I know he's older than young Letang...if that makes sense)

Bjugs really making an impact.

ZAR should sit.

Like Chuky with Sid and Jake. McCann is a top 6 winger, apparently. Because he looked awesome with Geno and looked awesome with Sid last season.

Good stuff all around.

Funny thing is McCann played on Geno's LW in the playoff opener last year with Horny on the other side. The line actually generated a lot of chances (didn't score), and then McCann got hurt.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB

Trotz called a TO mid period. That doesn't happen unless the team is REALLY overwhelmed.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Tada. Whoever says "trade Rust" is an asshat. Always.

I want to say that Sid needs to be better than the last two games, but he knows that as well as anyone.
Geno was awesome, and as almost always Geno and Rust is a great combo. I wonder if anyone has noticed that for many years and spend at lot of time talking about it?

Very nice to see Riiko and Marino at this level and another shout out for JJ who this season has been WORTH HIS CONTRACT! There, I dang did it.

Very important win. Very important showing. Third consecutive game where we pretty much double up on shots and chances and richly deserve to win against good teams. The only reasons we haven't is that we have gotten disproportionately few breaks and relatively much weaker goal tending.

Chucky..... if he is not for Malkin, he is not for this team. I have no doubt this Malkin will succeed with Rust and one of the other options who can play Sullivan hockey.

I'd actually argue Malkin is handicapped playing with the square pegs like Chucky. Kudos to Sully for NOT force feeding it when confronted with the obvious.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'd actually argue Malkin is handicapped playing with the square pegs like Chucky. Kudos to Sully for NOT force feeding it when confronted with the obvious.
coaches always make changes when their jobs are on the line

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
liked JJ Riiko pair, Marino and Dumo, but 4 and 28 were outright scary...mostly because of Shultz...
I loved our game all along, we just needed a little bit more chaos around net...we got that in third...
They should keep that second line forever, move either Kahun or Simon to the first, drop chucky to third, still can't figure out what kind of line he could potentially work on...maybe two really hard working guys really not sure....

there is still a lot of room for improvement....but we are trending in the right direction

and kudos to Geno for that effort on Rusty's goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad