Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Rangers - Fleuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Great game by MAF. I loved the "is the puck under my butt" shimmy he did.

Anyone else forcing themselves to stay away from the main board Neal thread? I am sorry, I cannot think of a reason to throw your elbow back like that as part of a "hockey move" or bracing yourself for a hit.

Edit: Any word if Tourette's went crazy in his post game presser?

The only reason I can see to stay away from that thread would be to avoid seeing Pens fans being partisan hacks. MDZ didn't 'throw' his elbow at all. He simply turned, and Neal's face collided with his shoulder. Unlucky. The end.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The only reason I can see to stay away from that thread would be to avoid seeing Pens fans being partisan hacks. MDZ didn't 'throw' his elbow at all. He simply turned, and Neal's face collided with his shoulder. Unlucky. The end.

48 seconds in, that shoulder looks a lot like an elbow to me.

In any event, I agree it was not intentional. On the other hand it was reckless. I am sure MDZ knew he was there and had zero intent to concuss him. But no one ever does. It looked to me that he felt Neal coming, he actually glances back and sees him if you watch the video, and pushed both arms back elbow first to push him back, but he did it high. Aiming upward. Not intentional but certainly reckless. He was reckless enough that I could see, and actually expect, him to sit a game or two. You do not need to intend to injure someone, just like if you are reckless with your stick you can not expect the ref to let you slide if you cut someone. I really do not think that opinion is being a partisan hack.

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ

I am sorry but that was not a "turn". Del Zotto says he was "bracing himself". Who the hell braces them self by sticking their elbows back?

“I think they just dumped (the puck) in, and I knew I was going to get hit on the forecheck,†Del Zotto said. “I just tried to kind of reverse hit and brace myself. I’m not sure exactly what happened.â€

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/05/del-zotto-claims-he-was-bracing-himself-during-neal-hit/

arnold slick

Feb 11, 2006
Western Pa.
+ Fluery
+ Murray, Man I hope Shero signs this guy this summer, I loved it when Richards tried a spin move on him and he just road graded him into oblivion. Shero made a mistake letting Gill go I hope he tries to get this guy signed.
+ Morrow, he is just plain nasty in front of the net

- Geno, The good news is I heard his Mom and Dad are coming into town in a week, hopefully that gets him going

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Reminds me a lot of the hit that happened last season in the playoffs. I forget exactly who it was, but I think Hossa was involved.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
there isn't anybody in the league who couldn't wreck Nash and Boyle. even Rags fans acknowledge that those two are among the softest players in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
Best news is that they actually have three days between games now. Time for the injured guys to recover and the healthy to actually get some real practicing in and build an actual rapport on the ice.

I'm pretty sure that i read in either the post-gazette or the paper that employs R** R**** that the team is getting the entire weekend off.

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ
I'm pretty sure that i read in either the post-gazette or the paper that employs R** R**** that the team is getting the entire weekend off.

Yup, you did.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/3776154-74/penguins-bylsma-practice

The Penguins (28-10-0, 56 points) have lost two straight games after 15 consecutive wins. They play the New York Rangers at home Friday night.

After that game, Bylsma and his players will try not to see one another until Monday. A free weekend during this shortened NHL season is rare.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
- Really hated seeing the rags tie the game up late. If we would have scored again, or an empty netter, the gutless pansies Nash, Del Zotto, and Boyle would have been dealt with. Of course, they probably wouldn't have had to stones to step on the ice

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
One cup since 1940 and no league leaders, even though they've almost ruined the league with their spending, yet the Rangers and Rangers fans want to be treated like hockey royalty. At least the Isles can live off their 4 cups and the Devils have been a class team since 1990.

Last edited:

jinx33

The Rust is real
Sep 11, 2006
Paris, FR
Sometimes I wonder if Tortorella is totally overreacting, to please the NY fanbase. I mean, the guy knows that stars like Crosby and Malkin will have a certain privilege, he had that kind of situation with Lecavalier and Richards, even if they were less mediatized.

To come back on last night game, there were cheapshots from both teams, and he gotta stop to say that Penguins have advantage anywhere, anytime. I agree few years ago power play was easy to get, now with all those new rules because of concussions, every team have his set of bad calls. It's actually pretty low that Torts keep calling those past facts as reason of his losses. Take your point, accept the loss, that's it.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
It would be awesome if the Rangers didn't even make the playoffs. I'm rooting for them to either miss out or play a healthy Pens which would mean a sweep is a real possibility.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Guys... please make it easy next time. Do not respond to trolls. Report it and ignore it. It won't stay around for too long. Next time I'll have to hand out infractions for responses, too, even though it was well-deserved.

Thank you.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

48 seconds in, that shoulder looks a lot like an elbow to me.

In any event, I agree it was not intentional. On the other hand it was reckless. I am sure MDZ knew he was there and had zero intent to concuss him. But no one ever does. It looked to me that he felt Neal coming, he actually glances back and sees him if you watch the video, and pushed both arms back elbow first to push him back, but he did it high. Aiming upward. Not intentional but certainly reckless. He was reckless enough that I could see, and actually expect, him to sit a game or two. You do not need to intend to injure someone, just like if you are reckless with your stick you can not expect the ref to let you slide if you cut someone. I really do not think that opinion is being a partisan hack.

Spot on. It's not intentional by any means, but definitely reckless. I don't know what that means because the game is played that way for the most part.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Sometimes I wonder if Tortorella is totally overreacting, to please the NY fanbase. I mean, the guy knows that stars like Crosby and Malkin will have a certain privilege, he had that kind of situation with Lecavalier and Richards, even if they were less mediatized.

To come back on last night game, there were cheapshots from both teams, and he gotta stop to say that Penguins have advantage anywhere, anytime. I agree few years ago power play was easy to get, now with all those new rules because of concussions, every team have his set of bad calls. It's actually pretty low that Torts keep calling those past facts as reason of his losses. Take your point, accept the loss, that's it.
Its his form of coaching and how he rallys the troops. Sooner or later his rants fall on deaf ears even if he has a legit point to make.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
And another funny thing. I can't even call Glass a BAD player. Melichar was a BAD player. Glass is just useless. Worthless.

I know it may be semantics, but is there a difference between being a bad player and being a useless one?

A useless player contributes nothing of consequence, a bad player often puts the team at a disadvantage. Glass is a bad player.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Gotta admit it looks worse in slow. Didn't see him launching himself backwards like that or the follow through motion with both arms.

He is playing stupid... "Golly gee whiz fellas, I don't know what happened there!"

I've been in that situation a number of times and you know exactly what you are doing.

I think he meant to hit Neal, but not elbow him in the head. Neal had his head down in an awkward position and it was just the perfect storm of bad luck. Zero doubt in my mind his intentions were to hit Neal and slow him down.

It was reckless, but not dirty. The fact he is playing coy is what is irritating.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
The main board is a stew full of crap after that hit. Some people genuinely think that Neal went into Del Zotto's elbow and it's his fault. :laugh:

nTsplnk*

Yea, he definitely wanted to hit Neal-this play happens a lot-you're going for the puck and someone's about to hit you, so you go backwards into them.

It just happened that in the process he threw his elbow up. It's certainly not malicious but might get looked at.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
This is the best MAF has looked since the 09 playoffs. And it's not just about #'s either. If you actually watch the way he's been playing he looks ridiculously confident and steady out there.

Oh, and what a steal Jokinen was for us! Well done again, Ray!

Lastly, I don't see how Del Zotto got away with that elbow. If there's one time I don't mine Cooke going back to his old antics, it was last night. That hit was absolutely ********!

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Best line of the night was from ranger announcer joe micaletti.
Describing Murray... He says he's a big physical, mean defenseman... 6'2 240 lbs of MAN

Lol

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is the best MAF has looked since the 09 playoffs. And it's not just about #'s either. If you actually watch the way he's been playing he looks ridiculously confident and steady out there.

Oh, and what a steal Jokinen was for us! Well done again, Ray!

Lastly, I don't see how Del Zotto got away with that elbow. If there's one time I don't mine Cooke going back to his old antics, it was last night. That hit was absolutely ********!

Agreed about Flower and he wasn't even trying to make absurdly hard saves. He was still doing his simplistic style and just killed it with athleticism when needed.

Best game, by far, since the 09 playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig