Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Rangers - Fleuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Sometimes I wonder if Tortorella is totally overreacting, to please the NY fanbase. I mean, the guy knows that stars like Crosby and Malkin will have a certain privilege, he had that kind of situation with Lecavalier and Richards, even if they were less mediatized.

To come back on last night game, there were cheapshots from both teams, and he gotta stop to say that Penguins have advantage anywhere, anytime. I agree few years ago power play was easy to get, now with all those new rules because of concussions, every team have his set of bad calls. It's actually pretty low that Torts keep calling those past facts as reason of his losses. Take your point, accept the loss, that's it.

His whining has become unbearable. I actually used to like the guy when he was coaching Tampa. However since he took over as Rangers coach his level of obnoxiousness has gone to an all new level. Him and Julien are right up there with each other as the biggest **** talkers and crybabies amongst coaches in the NHL.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I kind've wish Iginla would have more points by now but then I suppose he was brought in to play with Crosby a bit and Geno has been poor beyond belief.

Also. If Fleury can play like that in the play-offs then we have a good chance but the D shouldn't be giving Rangers half of those chances in the first place.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I kind've wish Iginla would have more points by now but then I suppose he was brought in to play with Crosby a bit and Geno has been poor beyond belief.

Also. If Fleury can play like that in the play-offs then we have a good chance but the D shouldn't be giving Rangers half of those chances in the first place.

I bet both look better if Neal misses any time. It will force Bylsma to put a decent compliment on a line with Geno and Iginla.

Not to bad mouth Neal. It goes both ways. Iginla and Neal just shouldn't play together.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Agreed about Flower and he wasn't even trying to make absurdly hard saves. He was still doing his simplistic style and just killed it with athleticism when needed.

Best game, by far, since the 09 playoffs.

PErsonally the fact that he managed to perform like that after getting lit up for 6 goals last game says a lot about his mental strength and focus right now. The Fleury of old would've probably still be rattled by it.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
LOL

It's obvious on the play in question Lundqvist was trying to sell a call on Cooke flicking his blade on his massive elbow pad. That was a nothing play.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
PErsonally the fact that he managed to perform like that after getting lit up for 6 goals last game says a lot about his mental strength and focus right now. The Fleury of old would've probably still be rattled by it.

Fleury wasn't rattled by it, he was throughly pissed about it.

That stuff happen to him more than he's played outlandishly bad.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
+flower-nothing needs to be said.

+Jokinen-faceoffs are important, huh? Novel concept.

+Morrow- been hard on this guy lately, but if he plays like that, he's got a spot on this team

+Dupuis- seeing the best hockey of his life this year. Great leadership taking what would have been a "good night" run at del zotto had it connected. Teammates remember stuff like that.

+Cooke- had a quietly effective game before making fools out of the Rangers' bench

-Orpik. This guy's in a fog. I don't know what's wrong with him, but something's not right and I don't mean physically. Remember when Gonchar quit on the play in the Montreal series? Orpik's doing that once a shift. Orpik's just a spectator recently, but last night, it was real bad.

-Engelland Bortuzzo pairing--I never want to see this again. You've got two slow guys on the same pair. No mobility, no ability to move the puck and, on top of that, to make this pairing possible, one of them is playing out of position(!!!). I don't care what Bylsma thinks Despres did wrong, if this pair is the alternative to playing him, you play him. Or, Hell, call up Dumoulin. You can have Engelland or Bort on the right side on the third pairing and be fine. They can't BE the third pairing together.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
He is playing stupid... "Golly gee whiz fellas, I don't know what happened there!"

I've been in that situation a number of times and you know exactly what you are doing.

I think he meant to hit Neal, but not elbow him in the head. Neal had his head down in an awkward position and it was just the perfect storm of bad luck. Zero doubt in my mind his intentions were to hit Neal and slow him down.

It was reckless, but not dirty. The fact he is playing coy is what is irritating.

Indeed. A sharks fan described it perfectly. It was like tripping a player when he gets you going one way while he goes another. Its a last second reaction and all you are doing is trying to slow a guy down, not commit an infraction.

Same thing here. He widens his body as much as possible to get a piece of Neal, and there's your result. Reckless, but not quite on purpose.

However, don't give me any nonsense about bracing yourself. You don't flare your elbows when bracing for contact. You tighten up.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
First thing I thought of as well. Cockadoodie! Dirty birdie!

I've revised my stance a little from last night on MDZ's hit on Neal. Initially I thought Neal just skated into him and it was unfortunate. After watching the replay a few times I noticed MDZ coming up off of his skates in order to hit him high. I still don't think it was an intent to injure but it was reckless and dumb for sure.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Have the Rangers just ever flat-out lost a game without there being either some vast conspiracy or utter incompetence from the refs? You wouldn't think so.

RazorRamon12

Jul 8, 2004
Hard to analyze the game when you go out to watch, but I enjoyed it. They didn't play particularly well but when they Rangers started to play like morons the Pens didn't put themselves in a terrible position with bad penalties, which is exactly what they would do down the stretch and in the Flyers series.

The Dupuis penalty was questionable at best, but the truth is it happens and will continue to happen to all teams. The late goal was a bit of a softie, but off the faceoff and considering the other saves, I'm not going to hold that against MAF obviously. It happens. Of course there's no shootouts in the playoffs, so you hope someone has a big goal up their sleeve.

In the context of one game, they didn't play well. Over the post season though, there's going to be a few of your 16 wins that aren't pretty and perhaps you need a goalie to save you. That's what happened tonight, and that's exactly what they didn't show last year down the stretch and in their brief playoff run. It's progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad