Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Rangers - Fleuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
After the trade deadline, so they already have.

Some day we'll get to watch a healthy team. Someday.

Sooo...Beau Bennett will probably be called up? Is there any chance a guy like Sill could be brought up for the playoffs to play on the 4th line?

Ray Shero*

Neal definitely had his bell rung. That doesn't necessarily mean that he has a concussion.

/three semesters as an athletic training major, ended up a history major

But his head looked like it jerked back a bit.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I have to question this. What the hell causes the breakout to change? It's so strange. Some games we use that circle back and short chip to the streaking forward off the stretch to gain the zone with speed. Other times we just camp out, lazy as can be, and chip it on a stretch pass deep into the zone and let them regroup.

I can't imagine Bylsma is saying it's a good idea. And it changes so frequently I have to think it's on the players. What else would it be?

I have no clue what was going on tonight. They were literally staring down the pass and then tossing it right to the Rangers. I mean, I know they weren't trying to turn it over, but they were making plays that realistically had no other outcome.

I know not having anyone on the back end who can skate it up hurts, but then why not either 1) go to a breakout with a series of shorter passes or 2) go to a breakout where the forward takes the puck up from behind the net?

I was one of the "OMG WE'RE TOO SLOW" people, but they have more speed than their showing, but they aren't doing themselves any favors.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I'm going to wait for word from the team. Speculating about it is useless.

Also, the league has been completely dropping the ball on headshots this year. It's worrisome and deplorable and I ****ing loathe Brendan Shanahan (though I always hated him). He's ****ing garbage. If they keep him around, things are only going to get worse until something horrific happens. I think players recognize it and they're taking shots because of it. Del Zotto probably won't get anything.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
But his head looked like it jerked back a bit.

Possibly. You can't diagnose a concussion visually, though, you just can't. It's entirely possible that he has one but you can't say that he does based on what we saw on tv. They need to administer the appropriate tests.

Edit: the dazed look isn't promising but that doesn't necessarily mean anything either. A hit to the head is disorienting whether you have a concussion or not.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I have to question this. What the hell causes the breakout to change? It's so strange. Some games we use that circle back and short chip to the streaking forward off the stretch to gain the zone with speed. Other times we just camp out, lazy as can be, and chip it on a stretch pass deep into the zone and let them regroup.

I can't imagine Bylsma is saying it's a good idea. And it changes so frequently I have to think it's on the players. What else would it be?

These last two games the stretch pass reared it's ugly head, and it's not a coincidence it has a ton to do with how long they've been hemmed in their own zone.

Like I said earlier, the back end doesn't seem to have the confidence to make a crisp pass, or skate up with it when they do have the room. The "safe" play is to fire it and hope somebody up ice can chip it in. It's like playing the trap on offense. It's conservative and the damage is kept to a minimum when it fails.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
All I know is, if there's no suspension, I'm gonna start a "Shanahan is Loyal to the Rags" thread.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
^Not expecting anything myself. Something along the lines of "it was a rotten hit", but "we don't suspend people for leaving their feet", and it wasn't "predatory"

?? That was me jinxing it!! it WORKED!

Sure, but it was easy to know someone was going to score esp vs Calgary ;)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'd be astonished if he doesn't get a game or two. Not necessarily because of the nature of the hit, but because there was an apparent injury on the play. The NHL loves to suspend based on effect and not so much cause.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Was it just me or does Jussi sound like Goldmember after watching his post game interview?

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
These last two games the stretch pass reared it's ugly head, and it's not a coincidence it has a ton to do with how long they've been hemmed in their own zone.

Like I said earlier, the back end doesn't seem to have the confidence to make a crisp pass, or skate up with it when they do have the room. The "safe" play is to fire it and hope somebody up ice can chip it in. It's like playing the trap on offense. It's conservative and the damage is kept to a minimum when it fails.
Sometimes I think the stretch pass is used as a lure to free up Sid, Malkin, Letang, Martin ect. Once teams overplay the stretch pass those guys get some room to carry pucks up the ice. Its worked against the rangers for the longest time but it looks like they've finally caught up because they looked a lot like Philly the past two games.

I like it when its used as a lure but I don't understand forcing it over and over again. I was hoping to see the Pens use a double chip to the middle of the ice but they never really did.

One thing that really bothered me tonight was that the Pens would cross the blue line and put shots on net. How about that winger hold onto pucks, skate into the corners, show some poise and make a play???

I've posted it a few times and I'm really hoping that the Pens use this weekend to correct a lot of whats wrong. This little weekend off is a huge blessing.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'd be astonished if he doesn't get a game or two. Not necessarily because of the nature of the hit, but because there was an apparent injury on the play. The NHL loves to suspend based on effect and not so much cause.

I'd be surprised if he got anything, much more blatant cheapshots, like Nash's from a few weeks back went unpunished.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
i give him crap when he deserves it so i'll be the first to say maf was unbelievable tonight

stole 2 pointes

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Prepare to be stunned. It was an accident. I was embarrassed to hear the two monkeys immediately starting to yap about it being intentional. If it had been there's have been some velocity on that elbow. As it was MDZ merely turned his body.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
and thats why i get a huge laugh on these boards. any NYR fan over 13 years old would never want the isles ti win anything

After that game, every bad thing that happens to the rangers is karma taking a fat dump on that moronic fan base. I would love to face those idiots in the first round and make them golf early.

The crap in that game, Nash's slash on Cooke, etc...absolutely pathetic. Torts has to be the biggest whiner in the NHL for coaches. His player could two hand a guy and he'd still whine about it being NYR bias.

Torts' tin foil hat must be made by their sponsor, DKNY.

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Great game by MAF. I loved the "is the puck under my butt" shimmy he did.

Anyone else forcing themselves to stay away from the main board Neal thread? I am sorry, I cannot think of a reason to throw your elbow back like that as part of a "hockey move" or bracing yourself for a hit.

Edit: Any word if Tourette's went crazy in his post game presser?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
After that game, every bad thing that happens to the rangers is karma taking a fat dump on that moronic fan base. I would love to face those idiots in the first round and make them golf early.

The crap in that game, Nash's slash on Cooke, etc...absolutely pathetic. Torts has to be the biggest whiner in the NHL for coaches. His player could two hand a guy and he'd still whine about it being NYR bias.

Torts' tin foil hat must be made by their sponsor, DKNY.

Yeah I saw the thread. I am sure that it is not the entire fan base, and those of their not engaged are probably as embarrassed by it as we would be if some here blamed every loss on the officiating. For a city that prides itself on supposed toughness, a lot of whiney girly men crying. Ironic because it was our guy that got concussed without a call, something that has happened far too many times over the past couple of years to our star players, and the Rags (and yes I am using that phrase for the first time in over a year on purpose) had one more PP than the Pens. But sure, the refs purposefully screwed your team. Right. The refs let the Rags get away with a lot that game, and yet I do not see the whining here about the officiating. Grow a pair guys and gain a bit of respect. Sometimes you lose, sometimes the calls go against you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad