Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Caps - the one where Pens fans whine the entire time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Loved it. Took the best the Caps had to offer and beat them.

I would think if it went to a best of 7, I'd put my money on the Caps in a 55-45% chance favoring them. But one mega encouragement is the possibility that the defense is not dead. Getting rid of Oleksiak and Maatta and somehow adding even a remotely decent player with playing Riikola surely closes a gap in a HUGE way. I am 100% certain now.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Main issue is any momentum is gone because of the break.
Not entirely. If you roll off a win tomorrow and another vs the Canes, you're heading into the break on a lot of positives and things to build off of instead of having a lot more to beat yourself up about.

God damn it man, work with me, I am trying to be positive.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
While I think Geno didn't have a bad game, I think he looks kind of lost, so does Kessel. You have two lost players attached at the hip right now and whatever abomination Zach Abhorrent-Reese is.

Geno can do better. He will do better tomorrow.
That being said, he still had a point, and had a chance to score a few goals if the puck bounces the right way.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
+++++ Sid: Best player in the game. His hand eye is insane. I don't think it's close. He is the greatest player the game has seen since Mario. Pretty amazing that we had both guys.

++++ Murray: Some greatness and some luck. That was waaaay closer to the #30 I remember and love. But he needs to build on that. It can't just be 1 game. It needs to be multiple games for a long period of time. All while staying healthy.

++ JJ: Yes.. JJ made the pluses. He was actually very good. Some great blocks and some great plays. He's not the best passer but he played great defense tonight.

++ Defense without Oleksiak, except Maatta: The defense was so good WITHOUT Oleksiak. Take out Maatta, add Riikola, and add any real piece for that 4-6m and we'd be solid. I really believe that.

++ Sheahan/Cullen: What the hell got into those two?!?! They were out of this world good. Both had speed/grit. Both protected the puck really well. I could see a Cully/Sheahan/Rust line that would do serious damage.

That was Dad's best game since Game 6 of the SCF in 2017. Wowsa.

------- The vocal small group of Pens fans who whine and ***** and whine and *****. Just acting like we are the worst franchise of all time. Calling for goons and hitters. Jesus. I'll take a speed/skilled team who has 5 cups since 1990 and 3 in this era. It's ridiculous.
Agree with all of this.

I'm almost scared to give JJ credit around here. :laugh: I liked his physicality on the boards too. Killing the cycle and pinning guys is much better than him looking for the big hit.

Sheahan got into Cully's roids or something. :laugh: That's more like the play I was hoping to see from those two over the Summer. Good stuff.

Have to give Petts a shout for saving that goal.

Reactions: Peat and ColePens

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don’t mean to rehash this, but it feels important: if Pens players wanted Sully gone, this game, with all of the stuff this morning, prime time NBC, no other game on, this was the game where you send that message loud and clear.

Were they perfect? Nope. But they were playing their asses off. Their issues are personnel. D still blows.

100% You can tell it is the players and roster make-up because they are capable of playing these types of games.

That being said if I’m Phil, Geno, or Brassard I’d get tired as f*** trying to carry the 2009 Penguins D around in 2018.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Good thing it’s December 19th. Right when the 15-16 team started to take shape.

If you’re going by “what on our roster right now would make us better”

Moving Phil Kessel is at the top of the list.

We need to find a true impact complement for Geno (one who helps Geno play to his strengths, which Phil doesn't do). We need to improve the defense. We need cap space. Leveraging Phil's value would help.

That said, he's not being dealt, and I think we're stuck with him with Geno because where the **** else is there to put him.

Reactions: Andy99

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
100% You can tell it is the players and roster make-up because they are capable of playing these types of games.

That being said if I’m Phil, Geno, or Brassard I’d get tired as **** trying to carry the 2009 Penguins D around in 2018.
Seriously, there's only one pairing that they can actually work with to create offense, and you can't play those 2 guys 60 minutes a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad