Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Caps - the one where Pens fans whine the entire time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
And people think that toughness/grit/fighters have no impact inside of a lockerroom?????? I stated it many times before and I'll state it again, the Pens last season had finally become a really great team and then the Brassard trade happened. Out went 2 big HEART players in Reaves and Cole......

Yes, the Pens played great because of Reaves and his five minutes a night, you got it.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Where’s your response to Wilson not being suspended two years in a row and the Caps not beating us? Or are you just going to continue yelling at the sky?

If anything last year proved that skill trumped size as Vrana killed us once Wilson went down.

Suspensions are finite. Fines are forever. The true impact of the league leveling a $1,500 tax write off on Wilson in 2016 may never be known.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Where’s your response to Wilson not being suspended two years in a row and the Caps not beating us? Or are you just going to continue yelling at the sky?

If anything last year proved that skill trumped size as Vrana killed us once Wilson went down.

I may have been wrong, I didn't fact check. But you never addressed the Caps going away from the physical after the Sheary incident. I imagine you will respond that it didn't happen since there isn't a way to prove, unlike the suspension.

You are really snarky at times, "yelling at the sky". How am I doing anything different from you??? Again, would you say something like that to a random guy at a bar?? IF so, do you get away with it??

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I may have been wrong, I didn't fact check. But you never addressed the Caps going away from the physical after the Sheary incident. I imagine you will respond that it didn't happen since there isn't a way to prove, unlike the suspension.

You are really snarky at times, "yelling at the sky". How am I doing anything different from you??? Again, would you say something like that to a random guy at a bar?? IF so, do you get away with it??

If I was at a bar and a Pens fan said remember when Wilson was suspended in 2016 after going off about physicality I’d probably go back to blankly starring at the game screen and thinking oh look another yinzer yelling at the sky.

Maybe order another beer.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Suspensions are finite. Fines are forever. The true impact of the league leveling a $1,500 tax write off on Wilson in 2016 may never be known.

The fine neutered the Caps physical game yet the 20 game suspension has envigorated them into an unstoppable monster that has lost two tight games against our shit roster and won one because Oshie dove like a fish when Malkin was “get this” physical on him. LOL

Mrs Crosby's Dryer

Can we please fire idiot Sullivan now?
Dec 11, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
And people think that toughness/grit/fighters have no impact inside of a lockerroom?????? I stated it many times before and I'll state it again, the Pens last season had finally become a really great team and then the Brassard trade happened. Out went 2 big HEART players in Reaves and Cole......

I truly get tired of getting lectured about how physicality/grit/toughness is a thing of the past. Those who played know different.

This is the most enlightened post in the thread.

Despite what the full time posting pacifists and their legions of sycophants on here believe, everything stated above is 100% true and accurate.

Reactions: John Titor

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I may have been wrong, I didn't fact check. But you never addressed the Caps going away from the physical after the Sheary incident.

There was an actual Cap player suspended in that series, only it was Orpik, not Wilson. Wilson was practically a non-factor back then. And in 2018 we lost two when the Caps didn't have Wilson, same as when they did (and in one of those games he was very lucky to not get tossed out). But nah, it's totally only about physicality and being able to punch people in the face somehow.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
There was an actual Cap player suspended in that series, only it was Orpik, not Wilson. Wilson was practically a non-factor back then. And in 2018 we lost two when the Caps didn't have Wilson, same as when they did (and in one of those games he was very lucky to not get tossed out). But nah, it's totally only about physicality and being able to punch people in the face somehow.

People love this narrative. Point me to a championship squad outside the 2011 Bruins who used intimidation and physicality to win a cup in the last 30 years.

Hell, the reason the Flyers won back to back was because of their coach studying the USSR game and Bernie Parent.

But, fighting and goals hit the highlights.

Reactions: EightyOne

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Must’ve killed @ColePens when NBC was waxing poetically about ZAR’s performance this week and last.

I dunno but I had to ask my wife to smack my head so my eyes rolled back down.

Has he fought since his jaw got crushed? Only having a mentality of Tocchet leads you to getting back into the ring after that kind of damage.

I don’t remember any bouts since then, but he can throw hammers. He is definitely capable of putting as much hurt on Wilson as he does my eyes watching him play. I think it would be a lot more even than people think.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I dunno but I had to ask my wife to smack my head so my eyes rolled back down.

I don’t remember any bouts since then, but he can throw hammers. He would definitely put as much hurt on Wilson as he does my eyes watching him play.

If he would have done so in response to Wilson jumping Rig, he would have gotten a huge mark UP from me and most importantly the locker-room.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
If I was at a bar and a Pens fan said remember when Wilson was suspended in 2016 after going off about physicality I’d probably go back to blankly starring at the game screen and thinking oh look another yinzer yelling at the sky.

Maybe order another beer.

Exactly.

Thank you for your honesty.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
If he would have done so in response to Wilson jumping Rig, he would have gotten a huge mark UP from me and most importantly the locker-room.

Well, he had plenty of chances to do it last night so, not sure what he was waiting for... that’s kind of why he’s in the lineup, to be tough and things like that.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007

I truly get tired of getting lectured about how physicality/grit/toughness is a thing of the past. Those who played know different.

I imagine a lot of these posters are millenials that have never played a sport, let alone a physical sport in their lives. Nothing wrong with that, but this is something they truly can't comprehend.

A cup is a cup, and nobody can ever diminish what the Pens accomplished those two seasons. But if people remember, the Pens were largely outplayed, virtually every game of the playoffs. Some timely counter-punching and insane goal tending got us that 2nd cup. It wasn't our super speed.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
People love this narrative. Point me to a championship squad outside the 2011 Bruins who used intimidation and physicality to win a cup in the last 30 years.

Hell, the reason the Flyers won back to back was because of their coach studying the USSR game and Bernie Parent.

But, fighting and goals hit the highlights.

Point me to a team, aside from the Pens, that won a championship without even a hint of physicality throughout the entire season. There actually probably were a couple, but I can't think of any

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Point me to a team, aside from the Pens, that won a championship without even a hint of physicality throughout the entire season. There actually probably were a couple, but I can't think of any

But, we have Hornqvist, Malkin, Oleksiak, Johnson, and ZAR who are all physical players?

We even had Sestito during those cup runs in the regular season?

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
But if people remember, the Pens were largely outplayed, virtually every game of the playoffs.

Hard to remember something that didn't actually happen.

Point me to a team, aside from the Pens, that won a championship without even a hint of physicality throughout the entire season.

Who said anything about "no hint of physicality"? Talk about strawman. Of course, you seem to believe that the 2016 and 2017 Pens teams had that which is also pretty funny.

The point is the most physical teams and the actual Stanley Cup champions are usually not the same. Physicality has its place in hockey, of course, it's simply not the dominant factor people claim it is (usually adding "young folks nowadays").

What's even funnier is that the Pens' local rival is known for loving physicality to a fault and we all make fun of their playoff struggles, yet at the same time we are supposed to consider it a huge, utterly decisive factor? How about no?

Last edited:
Reactions: pixiesfanyo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad