Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Canes - Sid delivers 3 Christmas Presents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Still would dump him first chance we get.

Why? What's the point of just dumping him to dump him when he's doing well? Dump him down the line if Pettersson-Johnson stops working, but right now, definitely keep him.

I just don't get this line of thought with any player. If a bad player is playing well, I'm going to hope that they continue to play well, not that the team dumps them immediately.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You'd have a lot more legimacy if you didn't say blatantly stupid things like this.

You didn't even watch the damn game tonight and have been saying stupid things constantly about Johnson recently. The dude has been playing really well recently. Johnson isn't even winning the poll on here for the Penguins worst defenseman, hell, he's not even in 2nd in that poll.

Weren’t you just chirping this board like two hours ago about how extreme it’s views are on certain players and now your using a poll on here to determine who is better?

Jack Johnson is a net negative every time he touches the ice.

Reactions: Turin

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Maatta played flawless until one glaring play. He went to pass d to d to JJ on the PK and missed it by a mile and it got Carolina a full minute of PP time.

But he was flawless other than that.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Why? What's the point of just dumping him to dump him when he's doing well? Dump him down the line if Pettersson-Johnson stops working, but right now, definitely keep him.
Exactly. He brings a needed element to the team. On a third pairing, he is in a position to succeed.

Reactions: Still Apps

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Weren’t you just chirping this board like two hours ago about how extreme it’s views are on certain players and now your using a poll on here to determine who is better?

Jack Johnson is a net negative every time he touches the ice.

You said that everyone outside of me thinks Johnson is terrible. The poll on HF shows that Johnson isn't even viewed to be the worst defenseman on the Penguins by a majority of posters on HF Penguins. The problem is with you saying stupid ****.

You do this thing where you make up your mind and refuse to change it regardless of how a player does. You think Johnson sucks, so even when he's playing well, he sucks. You love Brassard, so even when Brassard is playing horrid, you think he's great. Same thing with Riikola. Same thing with Maatta.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
You'd have a lot more legimacy if you didn't say blatantly stupid things like this.

You didn't even watch the damn game tonight and have been saying stupid things constantly about Johnson recently. The dude has been playing really well recently. Johnson isn't even winning the poll on here for the Penguins worst defenseman, hell, he's not even in 2nd in that poll.

He's not playing really well.

But for him, he is playing well. Which is a very very low bar.

Healthy, he should be the #7. Assuming Maatta stays.

Reactions: Turin

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I just don't get this line of thought with any player. If a bad player is playing well, I'm going to hope that they continue to play well, not that the team dumps them immediately.

Well it is a 5 year commitment and it looks like we have 3 lefties better than he is. Selling high wouldn't be such a bad idea if he got on a decent roll.

That said, Maatta would be my guy to go.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Because he is very replaceable.

If you can dump him for a 8th round pick. Do it.

You can find guys off the street to do his job for 600k lol.

That said. He's not playing bad of late. But unlike most I don't let short term play judge long term views.

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON

That said. He's not playing bad of late. But unlike most I don't let short term play judge long term views.
That’s not a practical scenario though. They just signed him. We are less than halfway through his first season and he has looked good the last 10 games. He isn’t getting dealt. No way.

Reactions: td_ice

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well it is a 5 year commitment and it looks like we have 3 lefties better than he is. Selling high wouldn't be such a bad idea if he got on a decent roll.

That said, Maatta would be my guy to go.

The problem is that you wouldn't be selling high because of the contract he has. You'd basically be giving him away for nothing. I think you can get a decent return for Maatta and I don't want to gamble on this Maatta being the new normal for him.

This is a horrible take. Like this is just a bad, bad opinion to have.

Reactions: froods

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
You would be in the minority with that opinion.

Isn't that the HFPens goal?

Get yourself into a crazy ass minority opinion.

Keep drumming it.

Eventually you're proven wrong and you just let it go and never address it again.

Or you're proven right and you go around incessantly claiming your genius, thumping your chest in every post, and calling everyone else out as yinzers who don't know shit about hockey.

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Playing well for Johnson is being neutral. He’s not tilting the ice the other way, he’s just not getting lit up. That’s a low standard.
He has been a big part of keeping other teams off the scoreboard the last three ganes. That’s his job. He is doing it well.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'm fine with Johnson aslong as Maatta and Oleksiak is traded.

9.4 mil for 3 bad Dmen is way too much.

I'd dump all of them for nothing if I could. Except Maatta, I think he can rebound. People are too hard on him.

Reactions: Peat

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Was glad to see Simon and Malkin finding a little chemistry in the third. They haven’t played much together and Simon is still finding his rhythm again, but if they can find a connection, it would be pretty huge for this team.
Having Geno play like Geno would be huge, for sure. If Simon helps him do that, great. And if not, he works with Sid, too. I know you've pimped him for a while, and with good reason. I'm just glad he's made the most of the opportunities he's been given.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Or you're proven right and you go around incessantly claiming your genius, thumping your chest in every post, and calling everyone else out as yinzers who don't know **** about hockey.

Or you can be proven wrong and still do this, like a certain someone when it comes to a former winger prospect :laugh:

Playing well for Johnson is being neutral. He’s not tilting the ice the other way, he’s just not getting lit up. That’s a low standard.

Johnson playing physical, blocking shots and playing neutral in terms of GF/GA is good, though. That's the way it is with a majority of depth defenseman, a net positive is not hurting your team and doing something well.

Reactions: EightyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad