Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Canes - Sid delivers 3 Christmas Presents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
When we were losing, it looked like none of our lines or pairings (save Dumo and Tanger) or goalies were passing the eye test.

Then Desmith started allowing us to compete. The fourth line actually started producing some. The Pettersson trade then stabilized our bottom pairing and allowed JJ to look competent. Now Sid's line and Murray are starting to play to their potential. Things are starting to fall into place going into Christmas.

Now going into the new year, if we can get Malkin, Kessel, and Brassard to all look consistent and comfortable 5 on 5, we can really be a tough out in the playoffs. Sort out the middle pairing on defense in addition, and we're legitimate cup contenders. I know that things were really dire not that long ago, but I'm optimistic for the future. I just hope that we can keep it up and make the right moves going forward.

I’m calling BS on Johnson being competent. I think Pettersson is doing all the heavy lifting and Johnson is still throwing himself completely out of position.

I guess the Caps won with Orpik though.

Reactions: PensandCaps

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
It's funny because some were trying to argue with me over Crosby making players better than they really are before the game. Then he dominates like he did. Rust had two secondary assist because of unreal plays by Crosby. Your not going to remember that at the end of the year when you are just looking at his points. Case in point.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It's funny because some were trying to argue with me over Crosby making players better than they really are before the game. Then he dominates like he did. Rust had two secondary assist because of unreal plays by Crosby. Your not going to remember that at the end of the year when you are just looking at his points. Case in point.

Whoever argued that Sid doesn't elevate players is totally wrong. He's only done that his whole career.

I'd love to read that. Where is it? I don't feel like going through your post history.

I can't even imagine any pens fan who would see it any other way.

Why you throwing shade in Rust's direction, specially, though?

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

They can be right and you can as well.

Not everyone can compliment Crosby as we have seen. It takes certain players with certain complimentary skill sets.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Whoever argued that Sid doesn't elevate players is totally wrong. He's only done that his whole career.

I'd love to read that. Where is it? I don't feel like going through your post history.

I don't think they were arguing Sid elevating players. I was just saying it's no coincidence, Rust played like complete crap until paired with Crosby this year.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I’m calling BS on Johnson being competent. I think Pettersson is doing all the heavy lifting and Johnson is still throwing himself completely out of position.

I guess the Caps won with Orpik though.

No doubt JJ can do dumb stuff but he's been dominating physically down low this last little stretch and when the pucks on his stick in his own zone he's been competent with it. Safe passes/finding friendly sticks to complete passes or hitting sticks long range to not cause icings, etc.

We all know what bad JJ looks like but this one, if he can keep it up, i can work with given the role he'll have when Schultz is healthy.

Ideally, when everything is said and done MP/Riiko and one of JJ/Rig are taking up spots #5-7.
I have a feeling MP can/potentially force the coaching staff to bump Olli down while he's still here. They should start throwing him into the regular pk.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I don't think they were arguing Sid elevating players. I was just saying it's no coincidence, Rust played like complete crap until paired with Crosby this year.

In Rust’s case traditionally he has looked better away from Sid than with him. Maybe that was their point. As @Jaded-Fan said not everyone fits well with Crosby.

Rust has been a player that doesn’t rely on his centre as much as others to play well. That’s a big part of why he’s so versatile. Previous years he was never really bad on L1 or hurt that line just he was just more effective away from it. Right now though he’s killing it.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

But Rust also played like crap with Crosby, AND Rust broke out before being with Crosby. Crosby certainly elevates guys like Rust but a BIG part of the difference is Rust too.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
In Rust’s case traditionally he has looked better away from Sid than with him. Maybe that was their point. As @Jaded-Fan said not everyone fits well with Crosby.

Rust has been a player that doesn’t rely on his centre as much as others to play well. That’s a big part of why he’s so versatile. Previous years he was never really bad on L1 or hurt that line just he was just more effective away from it. Right now though he’s killing it.

It'd be great if Rust finally figured out how to play with Sid, but I'm looking at this little run as a nice surprise that probably won't last too much longer. Rust's tunnel vision and being a couple steps behind Sid and Jake will become a factor sooner rather than later.

Simon seems like a better fit on Sid's RW and Rust could be of better use elsewhere, at least when the hot streak wears off. But we should ride it as long as it works.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
But Rust also played like crap with Crosby, AND Rust broke out before being with Crosby. Crosby certainly elevates guys like Rust but a BIG part of the difference is Rust too.
Yup. His hat trick came on the 3rd line too, didn't it?

ETA : 2 goals with Sheahan ZAR, and one with Cullen Grant

Last edited:
Reactions: BillPrep

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
It'd be great if Rust finally figured out how to play with Sid, but I'm looking at this little run as a nice surprise that probably won't last too much longer. Rust's tunnel vision and being a couple steps behind Sid and Jake will become a factor sooner rather than later.

Simon seems like a better fit on Sid's RW and Rust could be of better use elsewhere, at least when the hot streak wears off. But we should ride it as long as it works.

Yeah I like Simon in that spot. I imagine Rust and Simon are Sid’s preference on the RW.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Anyway, I have zero hope for Brassard. Maatta can at least survive games when the right partner is there (and not Oleksiak). Brassard, I mean, you can play him anywhere with anyone and you just know it will be the same. NOTHING. Get something for him JR, please. Please. This trade is already a disaster, but if we can at least get that 1st rounder back somehow.. With emergence of DeSmith we have 2 good goalies now, so Gus maybe doesn´t hurt too much. But please, something needs to be done with Brassard. Zero hope for him..

Any line Brass is on is going to drift towards being a 4th line, because there aren't many situations you can put him out in, especially playing like he is. I suppose you can give his line a shift or two you take from Geno, but Geno has earned his O zone shifts over the years.

It was a poorly conceived trade from the start with echoes of JR's tendency to collect misfit pieces, and I was really hoping we would not make it. The org has two options at this point, either trade him, or put him at LW with Geno and get his ice time up. I'd prefer they trade him and call up Blueger and see what he's got. But they can't just keep trotting Brass out at 3C and giving him 11 minutes a night. He's just going to keep coasting and trying to avoid injury, as there's no hope of an extension here.

How is Tanner Pearson doing?

He's been banished to Brassard island, so we won't hear from him again until that changes.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Happy they are playing better and winning, but other players are going to need to get going eventually.

Getting good goaltending and having the majority of your scoring coming from one line isn't going to be sustainable.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Minor note. I just looked at Brassard's numbers and saw he's only got 9 points in 27 games. That's a 27 point pace over a full season. That's horrible.

I still find it hilarious that the Penguins were getting great 3C results out of Sheahan as the 3C, but JR decided to get greedy with their 3C spot and it blew up in their faces. Well, "hilarious" isn't the right word there, but you know what I mean.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
The good: The Pens are 3-0 in their last three games, scoring 7 goals and only allowing 2.

The bad: Crosby's line has been responsible for all 7 goals for.

Minor note. I just looked at Brassard's numbers and saw he's only got 9 points in 27 games. That's a 27 point pace over a full season. That's horrible.

Both those points are concerning, but hey, they're winning. But yeah, there are 3 lines that are doing nothing right now. That ain't good.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I still find it hilarious that the Penguins were getting great 3C results out of Sheahan as the 3C, but JR decided to get greedy with their 3C spot and it blew up in their faces. Well, "hilarious" isn't the right word there, but you know what I mean.

I'd be lying if I said I was against the move from the beginning. I thought it was "on paper" a good move. The prospect of being able to roll out a 2C on our third line should have been huge.

Unfortunately, Brassard looks like a ghost more often than not, so any competitive advantage having a 2C in our 3C slot was supposed to bring hasn't come to fruition thus far.

Reactions: EightyOne

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Well Sheahan played more ATOI than Brassard in the playoffs by over 2 minutes a game and Sheahan wasn’t that good so it seems justified. Just that the deal he made didn’t work (injury was a factor though last playoffs).

Reactions: Shady Machine

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I still hold that the belief that the animus against Crosby-Rust is revisionism from a very frustrating season in 17-18. It wasn't widely beloved in come the end of the second Cup, but it wasn't hated like this after getting leaned on a decent amount in the playoffs. Because back then, it was a decent pairing, a bit hit and miss, but not automatically a case for calling the coach an idiot.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That didn't happen. Shockingly, you are misrepresenting how the conversation went.

We were discussing Rust, and I said Rust isn't a product of Sid. I didn't say Sid doesn't elevate players.
You're still wrong. Rust played like ass with Sid a bunch this year. His good play started playing away from Sid. He got promoted again recently because he was playing well, not the other way around. Obviously now that he's there it helps to be with Sid. But it's not why he's playing better now than a month ago. You even specifically pointed it out right after Rust scored 2 goals that Sid wasn't involved in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad