Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Canes - Sid delivers 3 Christmas Presents

Status
Not open for further replies.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
He’s been a part of two cup teams, he plays top four minutes, he’s still quite young, and he will get good value back. Teams are always desperate for top four D, and that’s the catch 22 why he may not get moved.

After hearing how much this org loves him, I’ll be pretty shocked if he’s moved. I’m not saying it can’t happen, but it’s one of those moves that I would see on my phone and be like “damn, JR actually did it...”
Could we make a Maatta/Brassard for Bonino/Ekholm package work? Obviously would have to be some picks.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
He's one of those players who would have been just as good in almost any era. In the deadpuck era he'd score the dirty goals that it took to win there, in the high-scoring 80's his skating and vision would result in some 150+ point seasons.
IMO he would have scored 170 or 180 at his peak offensive abilities.

Reactions: EightyOne

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I just have trouble understanding how the Penguins can love Maatta that much, to the point where you think they wouldn't trade him, but are linked to a ton of defensemen via trade right now. Something already has to give on defense, and you're hearing rumors that the Penguins are asking about guys like Muzzin, Martinez and Montour. I just don't get how both of those are the case, I don't see how they can want to acquire those kind of defensemen while not wanting to move Maatta. You can also ask why the Penguins keep getting linked to these players if they're happy with Maatta.

They'd move him for a top 4 D, but unfortunately teams are unlikely to do that.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
IMO he would have scored 170 or 180 at his peak offensive abilities.

Yeah it's hard to say, Stevie Y hit 155 once (the highest any player ever hit outside of 66 and 99) and I think it's pretty clear that Crosby is a better player than he was. So I think the possibility for a better season than 155 would have been there.

But I'm happy he's playing in this era, it's been amazing to watch him and Malkin turn this team around and win 3 Cups (and counting?).

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Crosby and Murray be like:
w5HJ3fnkcDMG.gif

Glad to see them putting together some solid wins. Sid is back to quietly burning down villages.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
They'd move him for a top 4 D, but unfortunately teams are unlikely to do that.

Thought JR tried to use him in a trade to the Ducks for one of their RHD. They liked Maatta but not the value.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I just have trouble understanding how the Penguins can love Maatta that much, to the point where you think they wouldn't trade him, but are linked to a ton of defensemen via trade right now. Something already has to give on defense, and you're hearing rumors that the Penguins are asking about guys like Muzzin, Martinez and Montour. I just don't get how both of those are the case, I don't see how they can want to acquire those kind of defensemen while not wanting to move Maatta. You can also ask why the Penguins keep getting linked to these players if they're happy with Maatta.

Again, I don’t ask dumb shit about the Pens, and use them like my own personal Bmac. Sometimes interesting conversations come up organically, and that’s how I prefer to keep it.

Most discussions revolve around my daughter’s development and other related issues, and that’s honestly what I care about.

Like I said before the season started, I was also told how they love ZAR, and look what’s happening with him.

They just see many things differently than us as I’ve learned, but that wasn’t exactly a revelation.

Lots of us see ZAR as a stone hands plug, they see a young Hornqvist/Kunitz type because they covet a physical top six presence.

Many of us see Maatta as a slow, Jekyll and Hyde player that drives us nuts. They see a steady presence on their blueline that would be tough to replace, and apparently he’s really well liked personality wise.

I just don’t see any major happenings the last few months that would make the org suddenly think less of Maatta. That’s why I said I’d be shocked if he’s moved given how well he’s thought of.

I honestly hope he’s traded, but I’m pretty confident the posters who think the org are trying to rid themselves of Maatta, are living in a fantasyland.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I've missed the past two games. Boys look like they're really building on that Caps effort. I hope this break isn't coming at the wrong time. Need to keep this momentum going.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
That...isn't a very good defense. If you can get Maatta and Schultz back to where they once were, it might be (still not sold on both Riikola and Pettersson being regulars right now), but that defense is very not good.

Certainly wouldn’t be better with Johnson in it.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
When we were losing, it looked like none of our lines or pairings (save Dumo and Tanger) or goalies were passing the eye test.

Then Desmith started allowing us to compete. The fourth line actually started producing some. The Pettersson trade then stabilized our bottom pairing and allowed JJ to look competent. Now Sid's line and Murray are starting to play to their potential. Things are starting to fall into place going into Christmas.

Now going into the new year, if we can get Malkin, Kessel, and Brassard to all look consistent and comfortable 5 on 5, we can really be a tough out in the playoffs. Sort out the middle pairing on defense in addition, and we're legitimate cup contenders. I know that things were really dire not that long ago, but I'm optimistic for the future. I just hope that we can keep it up and make the right moves going forward.

wtbipyo

Jun 24, 2010
Was at the game and here are some of my take aways ...

Line 1. Watching games on the couch just doesn't show how much Sid actually does during a game. His anticipation offensively and defensively is out of this world. Hand-eye is out of this world. Guentz & Rusty also made so many beautiful cycles. I truly hope Rust doesn't come back down to earth and this line stays together.
Line 2. May take some games, but Geno & Simon were constantly in each other's way. Horny will go to the net and cause havoc, but 12/71 were water/oil much of the game. Could a Maata + bring in a LW for Geno?
Line 3. As much as I love watching Sid doing all the same stuff to be highly successful, I truly can say that Brassard is a bust. It isn't fair to compare him to Sid, but I can safely say that he just isn't our 3C. Pearson / Kessel were just along for the ride. Phil did some board work, but was mostly invisible all night. What would a Brassard-Maatta trade bring us back? I miss Hags :(
Line 4. Cullen/Sheahan were monsters all game! Every D zone start lead to us exiting the zone and getting time in the O-zone. Almost-Reese leaves a lot to be desired, even on the 4th line. I'd much rather have a speedster in that LW spot. Sheahan has stepped his game up and did some solid board work. This line outplayed Line 3 easily.

Dumo/Tanger - Damn do I wish Dumo just had a decent shot to put on net. Outside of that, this tandem was amazing all night.
JJ/Petts - Solid. Loved the reach of Petts on that breakaway. These two are a shutdown pair.
Riikola/Maatta - Riiks is raw, but liked how simple he played. Maatta can be counted on for 2-3 miscues, 1-2 foot races lost and 1-2 terrible stretch passes per game. Again, what could a Brassard-Maatta get us?

Murr - Outstanding. When the only thing you leave open are the posts, you know Murr is back. Reads plays at an elite level. When his confidence is up, his positioning does all the work. Not the outstanding highlight saves of DeSmith, but not necessary when on the top of the crease and anticipating.

** At minimum, 75% of the crowd was Pens fans. Feel really bad for the Canes. They have a young team that is trying, but the loss of Skinner speaks to where they are. NHL, please don't turn into MLB where the same large market teams only have success...

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Pretty much how I feel. What is hockey without Sidney Crosby? The two are synonymous. You can't think of hockey and not think Sidney Crosby.

I gravitate and follow these types and i selected well with Sid. Of course, i followed Gretz before that. Sorry, Mario fans. Heh.

It's been a wild ride and i've loved every minute of it except those concussion seasons.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Biggest positive from this past week has to be Murray (hopefully) regaining his form. Three straight games where he's ranged from really good to outstanding.

Sid's line continues to shine. Jake's quietly creeping up to near a point per game. And Rust is finally producing like the guy we've come to expect from the past two seasons.

Minor negative -- As I said above, Sid's line continues to shine. The offense from all the other lines seems to have completely dried up, however. That could be trouble when Sid's line isn't producing 2 goals per game.

Reactions: EightyOne

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Oleksiak out for 3 games and they allow two goals in them?? Correlation there? Additions of Riikola and Pettersson clearly help, then all of a sudden even Johnson is looking competent and Maatta can survive a game without collapsing. I really hope that Sullivan will not break this once Oleksiak is ready to go. The defense still needs a bit of a correction, but there is still Schultz, so just getting one solid middle pair dman might make this defense REALLY GOOD.

I mean Letang, Dumo, Schultz, Pettersson, Riikkola, Johnson is already very solid but there is no way they would let Riikkola play over Maatta once Schultz comes back.

Anyway, I have zero hope for Brassard. Maatta can at least survive games when the right partner is there (and not Oleksiak). Brassard, I mean, you can play him anywhere with anyone and you just know it will be the same. NOTHING. Get something for him JR, please. Please. This trade is already a disaster, but if we can at least get that 1st rounder back somehow.. With emergence of DeSmith we have 2 good goalies now, so Gus maybe doesn´t hurt too much. But please, something needs to be done with Brassard. Zero hope for him..

Malkin and Kessel. These two need to wake up. Malkin, there are some signs of life lately but it´s waaay too little. They need to wake up. If that happens, Pens are great. Because Sid is a GOD.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Maybe stick Brass with Geno. Last chance saloon for Brass, another juggle to try and get Geno going. Although it sounds like that's coming sooner or later and that Simon's making progress as the guy there.

Anyhoo, I fell asleep after the 1st, but I did so with the warm gentle assurance that it would be a Pens victory. And so it was. And I thought in a low key way that had a lot to do with...

That...isn't a very good defense. If you can get Maatta and Schultz back to where they once were, it might be (still not sold on both Riikola and Pettersson being regulars right now), but that defense is very not good.

These two. Their skating and passing is what we desperately need and has stabilised their pairings. I'm not sure what these guys have to do to make the sale for you Empo, because other than track record I see very few things to ding them on. They're the dmen we need.

You said that everyone outside of me thinks Johnson is terrible. The poll on HF shows that Johnson isn't even viewed to be the worst defenseman on the Penguins by a majority of posters on HF Penguins. The problem is with you saying stupid ****.

Tbf, it is quite possible for a dman to be viewed as terrible and not viewed as the worst here, given current views here on the dmen.

I would argue the issue with Maatta is him looking like he is skating in sand most of the time.

That's been an issue for a long time though, through periods when he's been far higher regarded and had far better results. As such, it would seem not be the major issue.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Damn, Sid. Shades of Malkin's insane 2009 performance against the Hurricanes. That third goal was such a beauty.

Our defence is improving by leaps and bounds and the PK is outstanding. Now, if only Malkin, Brassard and/or Kessel start scoring near their potential, we wouldn't need to be worried about winning a playoff spot. But knowing this team's luck, I expect more injuries and bad performances after Christmas. Murray looking like 2016 Murray would be huge, though, somе very encouraging signs this week.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Great way to finish before the Christmas break.

+Waddell donating Skinner to Buffalo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->