Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Canes - Amazingly all of the negative naysayers were busy for this one..

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I don't get it....maatta played well.

Only Olli Maatta could finish a game as our dman with the highest possession stats when mostly playing the best match up and get a crapload of criticism. Have to say I couldn't see much wrong with what he was doing.

First, a little context.
CAR looked gassed so Olli could sorta kinda keep up tonight but there was still plays deep in his zone where he had clear possession(had a step on an opponent) and got takin' over cuz he wasn't strong/quick enough.
Also had a bad icing where his slowness couldn't get him to the red line.

I'll admit he's looked good joining/leading some rushes tho and not afraid to shoot the puck.

When 58 comes back it'll be about the guys who make things look simple in our own zone on the left side and/or make it difficult for opponents. Good news is, if he blows, MP and others are there to plug in.

Let's just say i hope things look smoother these last few games and the speed on DET will test him big time.
I'm hoping for the best.
Let's see how it goes.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Not for sure, but gives them a great lead for staying in the top 3 of the Metro. 2 games vs Detroit, 1 vs NYR. 4 points locks them into the top 3. Isles keep winning, so 3rd might be most likely the landing spot.

Loved seeing Horny get a 5 on 5 goal. Liked the 4th line chipping in 2 as well, Wilson was way overdue, Cullen's goal was sweet. Murray continuing his great play.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Didn't see game. Just saw highlights. Whoever #14 is on Canes is a real **** jumping Hornquist like that.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
First, a little context.
CAR looked gassed so Olli could sorta kinda keep up tonight but there was still plays deep in his zone where he had clear possession(had a step on an opponent) and got takin' over cuz he wasn't strong/quick enough.
Also had a bad icing where his slowness couldn't get him to the red line.

I'll admit he's looked good joining/leading some rushes tho and not afraid to shoot the puck.

When 58 comes back it'll be about the guys who make things look simple in our own zone on the left side and/or make it difficult for opponents. Good news is, if he blows, MP and others are there to plug in.

Let's just say i hope things look smoother these last few games and the speed on DET will test him big time.
I'm hoping for the best.
Let's see how it goes.

I saw him make a bunch of smart plays to get the puck out safely from behind his goal line; I've also seen our dmen get mugged all season long in those places. I don't think he was perfect, but I didn't see him looking worse than other dmen and his line wasn't getting obviously hemmed in like the others.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I've known Maatta was going to bounce MP forever.

I also know what's going to happen when Maatta-Gunbranson is a pairing.

That was my thought as well but I think if Maatta was gonna replace MP they would have already started to break in a 3-44 pairing.

Really appears to me that Olli is a Letang placeholder unless MP suddenly starts to play absolutely putrid hockey.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
This is shaping up to resemble last years playoffs almost exactly...just sub in Isles and Canes for Flyers and Devils. Tampa gets second WC. Caps get Columbus again. Boston vs Toronto. Isles take Philly's spot and Canes take Jersey's

Time for different results.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
It's at least an essential win over Carolina.

I don't know enough about strategy to be bitter and angry enough, but I'm going to take this win as a positive.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
It's crazy to think how fast time goes.
Next week this time the NHL regular season will be over and the playoff matchups and times with be released.
Two weeks from today Game of Thrones final season airs.

I don't know if I can handle such excess entertainment.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The way guds is playing lately, he should sit and have JJ back on RD.

Hell to tha naw.

I saw him make a bunch of smart plays to get the puck out safely from behind his goal line; I've also seen our dmen get mugged all season long in those places. I don't think he was perfect, but I didn't see him looking worse than other dmen and his line wasn't getting obviously hemmed in like the others.

The difference is what happens during and after the mugging.
Like i said, once 58 comes back RD is set and the LD have to make things look simple in their own end and/or make it difficult on the opponent.

Bottom line is who ever looks best out of MP/Olli these last few games should start the PO's.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Phil with 11 minutes tonight, sign of better times??? thats 5 0n 5...13 qll together, stillll

So I thought that is what was happening but very shocked to see that 13 5 on 5. If they can keep him in the 13-15 until he wakes up, I like it a lot. It really looked like they were doubling that Bjugs line a lot. But none of them had astronomical minutes, either.

Sid at 22, though. Yikes. He's playing a lot.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
+++++Murray. Just outstanding all game.

+++4th line. Cullen amazes me. Garrett Wilson is the best "teacher's pet" plug we've had of this era.

+++Simon/Hornqvist/Bjugs. Great game for #72, in addition to his goal. Simon is seriously skilled and great at puck management. Gifted passer, too.

+Maatta. Are people actually criticizing him? I'm not a fan but he looked good.

+/- Kessel. Looked dangerous-ish a couple times 5-on-5. Whiffed again on the 4-3 on what should have been at least on net if not in the back of the net.

-Sid's line. Can we critique them? There really weren't many high-danger chances for (Sid's individual puck protection godliness aside) and a lot of sustained time against. I love me some Bryan Rust but he was poor tonight.

-Dumo on the right-side. This is the only valid criticism of Maatta tonight.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Best game of the season. No, I'm not saying that because they got a big two points.

They came out like they made it a priority to play better than the other team. The effort AND the execution were there. This team can do something if they play that kind of hockey in a few weeks.

Missed the first period because I had the game on the DVR with Centre Ice. Carolina's stream was blacked out, lmao. Game was half done when I could sit down, so I caught the rest on NHL network.

Happy to hear this. Prior to tonight, only 2 1st period goals in the previous 9 games.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
if the Canes had a Murray, they'd be very very dangerous.

A little more scoring up front would make the Canes a true contender. But yeah, it's hard to see them winning many rounds with Mrazek/Mac. I love their D. Problem for them now is they won't be in a position to draft a top notch forward unless they get lucky, and I don't see Carolina as a big draw for free agents (say, like Panarin).

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
+++++Murray. Just outstanding all game.

+++4th line. Cullen amazes me. Garrett Wilson is the best "teacher's pet" plug we've had of this era.

+++Simon/Hornqvist/Bjugs. Great game for #72, in addition to his goal. Simon is seriously skilled and great at puck management. Gifted passer, too.

+Maatta. Are people actually criticizing him? I'm not a fan but he looked good.

+/- Kessel. Looked dangerous-ish a couple times 5-on-5. Whiffed again on the 4-3 on what should have been at least on net if not in the back of the net.

-Sid's line. Can we critique them? There really weren't many high-danger chances for (Sid's individual puck protection godliness aside) and a lot of sustained time against. I love me some Bryan Rust but he was poor tonight.

-Dumo on the right-side. This is the only valid criticism of Maatta tonight.

Let's face it. Phil can't slap shot and he sure as hell can't one time slap shot. It's pretty amazing actually.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

The 44/28 pairing seemed to be getting hemmed in quite a bit tonight and were on the ice for the Canes PP goal. I thought Olli was fine. Yeah, the premature dump/unnecessary ice and a play or two where he got beat to the corner for the puck are annoying, but overall, he was pretty steady. Hopefully 58 will be back soon. I suspect MP will sit, but who knows.

Reactions: Peat

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
??? I've not noticed him being a negative for us.

Neither has Pensandcaps. But #Corsi.

Good win. Big up Murray.
Down with the word "crystallize"... @KIRK. There is no such thing as this team taking definite shape. Not in reality and not in your mind either :D Something improving would just mean we'd move down the list of pet grievances, and in any case there'd be an injury as soon as we were to consider ourselves set.
I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let… lets evolve, let the chips fall were they may.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad