Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens duck another loss!

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Pulling McCann out of the C position would be literally the dumbest thing we could do right now.

Oh theres much dumber things like benching Marino next game. Playing ZAR more minutes.

Sully used Lafferty quite a bit on FO's when Blueger was in the penalty box plus after he was out.
Wasting key strokes since McCann will be C'ing but if you wanted to play the 4 best C's atm Sid, McCann, Lafferty, Blueger is the list.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's like saying we should try something when we have a vacancy at RW on Sid's line, and a guy like Tanev who has been great since the puck dropped--that's some kind of idiotic personal attack on Simon or something. :laugh:

Nothing like civil discussion, eh?

I mean, you just labeled Simon’s total effort on the GWG tonight as “Sid doing everything”. I’m not a huge Simon fan, but he does a ton of the right stuff for Sid and Jake.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Oh theres much dumber things like benching Marino next game. Playing ZAR more minutes.

Sully used Lafferty quite a bit on FO's when Blueger was in the penalty box plus after he was out.

I see no reason they would bench Marino.

And ZAR was basically our second least used forward at 5v5.

Why do people complain about things that don’t exist?

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I mean, you just labeled Simon’s total effort on the GWG tonight as “Sid doing everything”. I’m not a huge Simon fan, but he does a ton of the right stuff for Sid and Jake.
Tanev is a smart player. He would do the same or smarter things. He can actually chip the puck and touch it again. Hes fast enough to actualy touch it again. Simon isnt.

Reactions: Pens and Flames

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I was right about the Pens offense all coming from Crosby. I just didn't think it would result in a win. Kudos to the boys for gutting it out with all the guys out.

On a side note, I still don't know why this organization loves ZAR so much. I don't get it one bit.

ZAR at 5v5 only played more than Kahun. Unless you consider AJ and Agozzino forwards tonight.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
G1 - Galchenyuk - Malkin - Tanev
G2 - Galchenyuk - Malkin / McCann- Tanev
G3 - above

Like seriously? Do you want to complain about JJ getting played so much tonight too?
He never had a chance with Sid and Jake. It seems he would fit there. Youre the one bringing up top-6.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I know we won tonight and we are all trying trying to stay extremely positive but....

It absolutely amazes me how this team can put themselves in beautiful scoring spots/positions and how often our forwards and ESPECIALLY defenseman (outside of Schultz occasionally) can completely miss the net by like feet.

Outside of a couple forwards, it’s like some of these guys have no clue where their shots are going.

I absolutely love what McCann is doing so far but he has been the most glaring the past two games. He gets himself into high danger areas and then his shot is just absolutely no where close. And there are many others.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I know we won tonight and we are all trying trying to stay extremely positive but....

It absolutely amazes me how this team can put themselves in beautiful scoring spots/positions and how often our forwards and ESPECIALLY defenseman (outside of Schultz occasionally) can completely miss the net by like feet.

Outside of a couple forwards, it’s like some of these guys have no clue where their shots are going.

I absolutely love what McCann is doing so far but he has been the most glaring the past two games. He gets himself into high danger areas and then his shot is just absolutely no where close. And there are many others.
Theres a lack of finish. To be expected with a team who doesnt get top 10 picks for many years.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I also said it during the game but Lafferty jumps off the screen and looks to have more game than ZAR and Simon have shown.

That’s not even taking into account the other callous that he is outplaying. He’s outperforming some of our regulars in the past two games.

In terms of the D, I’ve come to terms that it will be shit the whole year. Any combination of our 3rd pairing playing meaningful minutes will turn out bad. I think at this point it’s finding the two that won’t f*** up the most.

Also, letting whatever 2 that is be there on the 3rd for the entirety of the year. Letang/Dumo, Schultz/Petts should not be touched the rest of the year.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Theres a lack of finish. To be expected with a team who doesnt get top 10 picks for many years.

There’s finish and there’s what some of these guys call “their shots”. I understand that between missing and hitting their spot is probably a matter of inches, but it seems like the majority of our guys struggle even coming close to just “missing”

Reactions: canadianguy77

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I also said it during the game but Lafferty jumps off the screen and looks to have more game than ZAR and Simon have shown.

That’s not even taking into account the other callous that he is outplaying. He’s outperforming some of our regulars in the past two games.

In terms of the D, I’ve come to terms that it will be **** the whole year. Any combination of our 3rd pairing playing meaningful minutes will turn out bad. I think at this point it’s finding the two that won’t **** up the most.

Also, letting whatever 2 that is be there on the 3rd for the entirety of the year. Letang/Dumo, Schultz/Petts should not be touched the rest of the year.
ZAR is a guy trying to game analytics. Its what he does. Latter day Kunitz used to do it too. ZAR doesnt have the resume though. He'll be out of the league this time next year.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I see no reason they would bench Marino.

And ZAR was basically our second least used forward at 5v5.

Why do people complain about things that don’t exist?

4th actually.
Good that Lafferty played more than him 5on5 but ZAR would've been bumped over Lafferty tho if Blueger didn't get all the penalty minutes.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I just don't get the clenching of fists and stomping of feet when a suggestion like Tanev getting a shot with Sid is brought up. :laugh: Simon's not a guy who is really good at anything, and doesn't really bring much to the line. He's the Bjugs of wingers, and people seem pretty pissed at Bjugs' lack of--well, anything. Tanev's not gonna light the world on fire offensively, but I think his speed and tenacious forecheck could do wonders for Sid/Jake. That's all. No need to get all uppity about it. :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
4th actually.
Good that Lafferty played more than him 5on5 but ZAR would've been bumped over Lafferty tho if Blueger didn't get all the penalty minutes.

4th because AJ got hurt on his first shift and didn’t play a single one after and Agozinno played basically one shift.

The coaching staff has clearly been underwhelmed with ZAR, but he is one of our top nine forwards right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad