Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens duck another loss!

RSPens

May 25, 2015

Watch #12 from start to finish on this play.

You guys are maddening.

You are missing the point. It's not about Simon being bad, it's about Tanev earning a shot with Sid. I do agree, that if we are winning, don't mess with it. But I also believe in rewarding smart, strong, good play.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You are missing the point. It's not about Simon being bad, it's about Tanev earning a shot with Sid. I do agree, that if we are winning, don't mess with it. But I also believe in rewarding smart, strong, good play.
Simon just had a huge hand in winning us a 2-1 game. Why is that not rewarded?

I think the only point I’m missing is shiny new toys and the fact people are ignoring Jake - Sid - Tanev looked awful in the preseason.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

CascadiaPenguin

Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Regarding Marino:
Might not mean anything but its nice to hear.
It was nice to see him reward Sully's trust with solid play in the final minutes of a one goal game. Had a sweet block and clear. Plus, dude knows how to say the right things. So refreshing to hear this from a Pens d-man (courtesy of The Athletic):

“Being a puck-moving defenseman, your first job is to just get the puck out of your zone, by any means necessary,” Marino said. “Go back, be first on the puck for retrievals and join the rush if possible.”...
and...“They just let you go out and play your game. You’ve just got to go out there and make hockey plays,” he said. “(I’ll) know which plays are the right plays and which plays are the wrong plays that I made tonight. I’ll go back and I’ll learn from them.”

...guess dem Harvard boys are kinda smart.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Letang.jpg

@Jesse

Made this from data pulled this from last 3 seasons. Min 240 TOI. He's not horrendous, but there's a legitimate gripe to be had with Letang getting PP shots through on cage.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I am obviously happy that we won last night. It was a gritty, gutsy performance by all under those circumstances. But I have to shake my head in WTF manner after looking at the TOI stats from last night.

Hornqvist comes back into the lineup after dodging a bullet and gets 21+ minutes of ice time??? WTF

Marcus Pettersson plays 16+ minutes, around the same amount as Marino? Meanwhile, Letang gets 28+??? WTF

I know we have a lot of injury-prone players on this team, but perhaps the very most susceptible should not be getting crazy workloads in mid-October??? I really don't understand at all.

Maybe it was another case of showcasing players, but honestly with our current roster of injured talent I think JR's hands are somewhat tied. I don't expect a trade until Rust returns healthy, and even then it may have to wait until Bjugstad returns. Sad but true.

I fully expect an ugly outing Saturday night against a desperate Wild squad who will be playing at home for the first time this season. Sullivan might even throw Jarry to the wolves and give Murray another shot at the Jets, or vice-versa.

I'd be happy with 1 point this weekend.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
View attachment 263327

@Jesse

Made this from data pulled this from last 3 seasons. Min 240 TOI. He's not horrendous, but there's a legitimate gripe to be had with Letang getting PP shots through on cage.

I'll post my tPB article when I get home. I am not sure what minute parameters I used off the top of my head wrt minutes played. I wrote my initial article in December 2015 and looked at one year samples thereafter.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
See my post above. The objective of hockey is for a line to score goals and prevent goals from being scored. So far this season at 5on5 for that line:

4.26 GF/60
1.42 GA/60

Or maybe Simon's simply been better than the alternative so far this season in that sample size? I'm not saying Simon's awful or anything, but I just think that at some point his individual contributions leave a lot to be desired when he's not scoring enough goals given the chances he gets.

Does he do a lot of things that help Sid and Jake? Yes. But to be a top line player consistently, you also need to produce yourself. Otherwise, for every good thing you do for Sid and Jake, you also squander the golden opportunities they create for you by not being able to bury those chances.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
My biggest problem with Letang is playing him 25-28 minutes a night at 32 to prove management right about Jack Johnson.

I don't think it has anything to do with proving management right. Sullivan is doing that because Letang and Dumo is the only reliable pairing we have. He feels (justifiably imo) that Letang has to play that much to give us the best chance to win.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
View attachment 263327

@Jesse

Maybe he’s not shooting to score a lot because shooting from the point to score clean when you have Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist and Kessel is...dumb. I don’t want Letang to be Burns.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Simon just had a huge hand in winning us a 2-1 game. Why is that not rewarded?

I think the only point I’m missing is shiny new toys and the fact people are ignoring Jake - Sid - Tanev looked awful in the preseason.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Nothing against Simon, or what he did on that play. But as a winger, your job is to chip the puck out and go hard to the net. It's not like Simon did anything special on the play. He just did what he was supposed to do. It would be nice to see ZAR do this sort of thing, but just because Simon did it, doesn't mean that most NHL wingers couldn't have done the same thing.

Tanev had one game with Sid and Jake and I don't think they looked as bad as you are making them out to be. It takes time to develop chemistry. Again, I wouldn't mess with things if they are winning, but I'd consider giving Tanev a shot if the team falters a bit.

Last edited:

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Simon is providing that.

The season is only 4 games so far, 3 of which Simon has been on the top line. All 4 games Tanev has been one of the best forwards on the team, in terms of effort, smart and strong plays. I'm not saying that we should demote Simon yet, but he had one game away from the top line and you think it was good enough to earn his spot? I think it was more that Horny wasn't going to work, so Sully went back to the well. He probably would have ran back to Rust if he wasn't hurt. Again, nothing wrong with this, as Rust was flying in the pre-season, but I think Tanev should get a few games in that spot if the team falters.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Nothing against Simon, or what he did on that play. But as a winger, your job is to chip the puck out and go hard to the net. It's not like Simon did anything special on the play. He just did what he was supposed to do. It would be nice to ZAR do this sort of thing, but just because Simon did it, doesn't mean that most NHL wingers couldn't have done the same thing.

Tanev had one game with Sid and Jake and I don't think they looked as bad as you are making them out to be. It takes time to develop chemistry. Again, I wouldn't mess with things if they are winning, but I'd consider giving Tanev a shot if the team falters a bit.

Man, what a stupid argument.

What do you think is easier to teach, being fast and hitting or playing a creative puck possession game?

The point of hits in hockey is to separate the player from the puck and take it correct? If Tanev is so great at that how come he isn’t credited with more takeaways than Simon on the season?

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
View attachment 263327

@Jesse

I wish he'd shoot more in general if he's going to put it on net. He's clearly not here for his defensive abilities. We are icing a depleted forward lineup. Just throw shots on net. We need some greasy goals.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Man, what a stupid argument.

What do you think is easier to teach, being fast and hitting or playing a creative puck possession game?

The point of hits in hockey is to separate the player from the puck and take it correct? If Tanev is so great at that how come he isn’t credited with more takeaways than Simon on the season?

Chipping the puck out and going to the net is what every winger from senior novice all the way through to the NHL level are taught. Simon did nothing special on the play. I am not taking anything away from Simon. As I said, he did what he was supposed to do. But in that same position every NHL winger should have been able to do the same. You are rewarding and commending a play that is nothing special. The sad thing is we have seen wingers on this team that have failed at these two fundamental winger skills, which is bad.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Chipping the puck out and going to the net is what every winger from senior novice all the way through to the NHL level are taught. Simon did nothing special on the play. I am not taking anything away from Simon. As I said, he did what he was supposed to do. But in that same position every NHL winger should have been able to do the same. You are rewarding and commending a play that is nothing special. The sad thing is we have seen wingers on this team that have failed at these two fundamental winger skills, which is bad.

Yet, Simon plays have been more effective in terms of possession, taking the puck from the other team and scoring goals (and avoiding them) than Tanev’s.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Maybe he’s not shooting to score a lot because shooting from the point to score clean when you have Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist and Kessel is...dumb. I don’t want Letang to be Burns.

neither do I. And he's not. One of the lowest guys in shot attempt/60 volume anyway. Either way, after sifting through all those numbers, I don't think it has much of an effect on power-play success.

I'm just dissecting the numbers because I'm curious if other D seemingly don't get their PP shots through as much. Wanted some factual basis.

And to be fair, Letang does get a high proportion of his powerplay shots blocked, which can stand out. If you look at PP rate numbers, only 56% of his total PP attempts are unblocked, which is the lowest in the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Was a pretty sloppy game, both teams struggled to get set up in the offensive zone for long periods. Only Sid's line seemed to do it with any consistency. Was nice to see Kahun finally look alive. He needs to keep that up. Marino is a keeper, he made a couple dumb plays but he's exactly the kind of defenseman we need and he's only 22. Murray let in one blooper but otherwise didn't look challenged.

It was probably a game we win 5-0 if Geno is healthy, but it was good to not give up many chances in a game. I liked how we were forcing the play defensively in front of the red line instead of letting them get easy entries, we need that to keep the pressure off our D in our zone. Hopefully more of all of that against Minnesota.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad