Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Got 2... should have got 3-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Hanging with a team that is setting franchise marks while missing this many players isn't bad. This team is a favorite to win the cup if they can ever remain healthy.

Arkadiusz

Feb 22, 2019
Concord, MA
Price and Rinne are trending that way. Hellebuyck is proving last year was a mirage.
Jets fans feel that 2018 prolonged playoff push was a factor of fatigue for Hellebuyck last year. Furthermore they think he plays better when Brossoit pushes him with a few wins. Maybe playing Jarry more to put the heat on Murray isn't such a bad idea...

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Considering how good the Penguins defense has been, having an average overall save%, a below average quality start% and a significantly below average 5v5 save% is horrible.

not gonna freak out over a little 5-6 game slump.

people here are so reactionary. lol.

What's weird about the whole thing, besides Murray being total trash, is that Jarry has the best SV% and is second in GAA in the entire league. He has 3 losses in 5 games started. How is it possible for him to do this and Murray, playing with the same group of players, is just constantly shitting the bed?

The late game break downs have been going on for a couple of years now. Last years outdoor game when the Flyers scored twice in the third, JVR with 3 minutes left and then Vorachek with 20 seconds. Followed by Giroux in OT.

Two games later, Sabres score with 2:30 left in the third to tie it, then win in OT.

Next time they play the Flyers, JVR ties it with 20 seconds left, Flyers win in OT.

The next game Carolina ties it with 2 minutes left. Loss in shoot out.

Then the Playoffs, every time the Pens got some momentum, Murray lets in a soft goal. This shit is aggravating and I can't believe the coaching staff/front office doesn't see it. Especially with Rutherford being a goalie, he should be all over this.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Hanging with a team that is setting franchise marks while missing this many players isn't bad. This team is a favorite to win the cup if they can ever remain healthy.

Injuries stop in 2020. Once we get Sid back....the lineup should be set.

Unless they move Schultz or Bjusgtad or both. With Poulin doing as good as he is, looking like he has a great chance to make the team...it could allow Pens to go for a top UFA winger. Whether he re-signs or not we'll see but if this team keeps this up and stays healthy from Jan-March then I'd go for it all at the deadline. And id rather it be a top winger(goal scorer period, Hoffman type that I keep bringing up). Dont keep trying to find that 3C. It backfired too many times. McCann can stay there if needed.

Just glad Rust, Hornqvist are both proving they are important plauers(since we have both signed). PH can get back to his 50 pt season. Rust is taking his game to another level. Was on pace for 20g the last two seasons but never reached it. We know his playoff history. But if he keeps this going this year and skips past 20g and right to 30? Thats huge. Doesnt need an extension. This is exactly what we need and what we never really got in the past. When we reupped guys like Kennedy and others...they didnt reach the level we thought. Rust is becoming a better Talbot. Or if we are just comparing to former Pens than hes on his way to being a Petr Sykora type. Who had 63(28g 35a) and 46(25g 21a) b2b seasons for our cup runs in 08 and 09(at age 31 and 32 tho...Rust Only 27 and could be more of what Sykora was with the Devils).

Not that hes the sniper Sykora was but played with speed and solid at both ends. Point is not alot of us thought Rust would be above players like Dupuis, Talbot, etc. Tier wise when comparing forwards. Hagelin as well. When hes looking like hes going to pass them all and elevate his game into that next tier of forwards. He showed signs of it here and there. And with him always being better away from Sid was a sign of that too. You see alot of goals by Rust that go unassisted. Alot of us mentioned how we'd love to have Palmeri but Rust with 8g5a in 11 games and Kyle with 7g 5a in 20 games. Doesnt mean Rust is better and this will continue. Just pointing out how alot should be excited about his potential going forward. Especially with this being after hes won 2 cups(being a factor in those) and getting his extension. To see him evolve into a better player than what he was to get that extension is not something we are used to. Would love for him to be Malkin's RW for rest of their time here. Thats a prob solved. And a duo we know we can rely on. Along with Sid/Jake.

McCann was a question mark coming into the season. Had the potential too. And living up to it. Another who is trending up to that next level. While moving from LW to Center.

Tanev exceeding expectations. Knew he'd add what we needed but not the pts to go with it.

Kahun looking like a better Simon.

Rust - 11 gp 8g 5a
Hornqvist - 15gp 6g 5a
McCann - 19gp 7g 6a
Kahun - 20 gp 5g 6a
Tanev - 21gp 5g 6a

Those 5 players have been the reason we are not in dead last. And have been in every game this season besides 1. Could easily have 8 more wins right now for example. 11-7-4 but blown losses late against Bruins, Tampa , NJ, Panthers, etc in regulation. And the losses in OT ...especially these last 2. But Rangers and Oilers as well. Those are easier to accept than the 7 regulation losses tho. Def need to beat NJ tomm with Jarry in net. After these two OT losses. Getting 2 pts is big.

But also how we are. That's why im mentioning these certain players. Didnt even bring up Geno and Guentzel either. Or the Defense.

We are seeing who the weaker links are. To me its still ZAR, Simon(yes he has 10 pts but when compared to the others he doesnt measure up) for the young players. Bjusgtad is a huge question mark. AG is as well but I also think he should be with Malkin and Rust. Settled in and we'd see him start scoring. Since wins are more important right now we dont have the luxury to try that I guess. Hes gonna have to break out of this on his own. All it takes is 1. I dont mind it anyway since hes a UFA. If we do want to keep, its better if he doesnt put up big numbers all season. Turn it up in Feb/March then heading into playoffs like Bones/Hags did. Let's say we do go on a long run, he could be one of the x Factors and have 8-10 goals (close to 20 pts ..if still on top PP and in top 6 with Malkin or Sid). Who knows. Hes def capable. And with all of the others stepping up theres less pressure for him to be the only one(outside of our top players) to pitch in. A few games of low scoring battles where he breaks the tie with one shot and gets us the win. Thats all we need. We have a team filled with 2 way players now. He doesnt need to be that way too. Not at the expense of his offense that is. Fine line there with Sully. Yeah 200 game is important but if you are making the player worse offensively because hes focusing too much on D...whats the point? Kind of what we saw from Kessel. He didnt have that confidence on offense these last two playoffs. The 2 years before he skated with the puck completely different....looking dangerous. Not a time bomb where we were worried he would turn it over every time he touched it.

If you have most of your team playing solid 2 way hockey do you need that from everyone, especially the top goal scorers?

I like Sully overall but wish he'd stop calling out players publicly, adding extra pressure on them instead of instilling confidence. Letting their game come to them eventually and go on that hot streak heading into playoffs.

All of these guys have had extra responsibility and at times out of position due to our injuries. Should make them better towards the end of the season. And heading into playoffs. We need them to keep hanging on right now and stay within reach, then when we get Sid back....go on one of our long pt streaks like we did during both cup years.

Just be careful with the trades come deadline. Tough decisions to make...we need a Kunitz/Guerin/etc type result instead of Brassard/Iginla.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Murray's first 14 starts he was 9-3-1 with a 916 save percentage.

now his last 5 starts 1-1-3, 899 save percentage.

not sure why people are freaking out over a little slump. its what goalies do.

and those OT goals are such gimmicky. like if the Pens just happened to score first in OT, his stats would look a bit better.

just imagine now if he has a 5 year slump like MAFFY did here with his defenders blaming everyone else

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Tomorrow, besides playing Jarry, Sully really has to put Kahun back with McCann and Tanev...or move Tanev back to L4...really, he’s completely neutered the bottom three lines with his moves ... he’s outthinking himself...either go back to a shut down L4 or make the best top two lines you can, but don’t do neither

since ZAR and Lafferty and AG are all struggling and there’s no replacements for tomorrow, just put Kahun back on L2 because he can score but he was doing nothing offensively with Simon...I know Simon is not great defensively and he doesn’t want another mediocre defensive player in AG there, but he’s now made three wimpy lines instead of two...just go ...
Jake-G-Rust
Kahun-McCann-Tanev
AG-Simon-Horny
ZAR-Blue-Laff

and give L2 the tough D zone draws all game...much less minutes for L4

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What is it about those f***ing Devils? I had more faith in the Pens earning points in both of these games versus the Isles than I do that the Pens will walk away with any points versus the Devils.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Pens are 4th in the metro yet 3rd in
The NHL with their 15 goal differential. With all of these injuries.

Make sense out of that.

Really need a win tomm with Jarry letting in 1(or even better, a shutout). Keep that solid play going. Even tho this is now his 3rd time with us on a b2b when the other team isnt.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Tomorrow, besides playing Jarry, Sully really has to put Kahun back with McCann and Tanev...or move Tanev back to L4...really, he’s completely neutered the bottom three lines with his moves ... he’s outthinking himself...either go back to a shut down L4 or make the best top two lines you can, but don’t do neither

since ZAR and Lafferty and AG are all struggling and there’s no replacements for tomorrow, just put Kahun back on L2 because he can score but he was doing nothing offensively with Simon...I know Simon is not great defensively and he doesn’t want another mediocre defensive player in AG there, but he’s now made three wimpy lines instead of two...just go ...
Jake-G-Rust
Kahun-McCann-Tanev
AG-Simon-Horny
ZAR-Blue-Laff

and give L2 the tough D zone draws all game...much less minutes for L4

If they want to switch things up and do something short term just to get the win tomm...

Go with Guentzel on the 3rd line.

Malkin/Rust duo so solid that they could get AG going. And thats what we were hoping that line would be anyway.

Galchenyuk - Malkin - Rust
Kahun - McCann - Tanev
Guentzel - Lafferty - Hornqvist
ZAR - Blueger - Simon

Sorry Teddy. Get stuck with the two who should be moved. But have a lifetime supply of PT here. Keep hearing excuses for Simon but we see Tanev, McCann, Rust, Kahun, all scoring. All making a diff. ZAR and Simon still aren't. Simon had a stretch with Sid and Jake of course where he did but put someone else there and they'd have done much better. These other players dont need Crosby/Guentzel to produce either.

Give former Devil , Stefan Noesen a contract already and let him face his former team. Perfect chance with these injuries.

Reactions: Andy99

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I said 3 years ago keep Fleury and trade Murray for Mitch Marner or Nylander. Y'all laughed, but every regular season since I've laughed watching Murray give up soft goal after soft goal...that being said, the ice was horrible, refs even worse and with all the injuries im cool with just treading water till Sid and Letang come back.
you said this & it was incredibly stupid then & is still incredibly stupid now... bravo! * slow clap *

Reactions: lastcupever75

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
The D is absolutely horrible and I think it goes beyond manpower. So soff in the middle of the ice... So soff...

Bowski

GO LEAFS GO!
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Injury destroyed team.
Countless breakaways on Murray until he finally broke (seriously give this guy some support, or LOL Tristan Dryden!)

2 points out of this garbage is not too bad.
But this team team is seriously F'ed for a while.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
So, uh, I don't like 3 on 3 and I especially don't like it against the Islanders :laugh:.

Bryan Rust, man, every shot's going in lately. Great stuff.

Reactions: Shady Machine

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Murray can be solid at times but still very inconsistent most. Just not good enough from him. Also to Coles points that 4th line has been terrible. ZAR is a garbage hockey player and Laf has been brutal since he was called back up.

Need Tanger back soon to solidify this D corps. We can not afford anymore injuries or it will be too much to overcome.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad