Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Game 2 Penguins vs. Rangers

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
15 seconds devoted to the baddest mofo to ever lace up... Wtf?

You people don't deserve the privilege of watching him play.

How dare you think we should soil the beauty, the brilliance, nay the divine of Joe Vitale's play with mere mortal human words? Shame on you.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I don't see getting Kulemin. The Leafs are looking to trend upward and add players IMO, not trade a known commodity for futures. For what it's worth Red Wings fans who are panicking mentioned Franzen. If the team really is that bad, and it seems like their defense is at least, I think he's a completely reasonable target.

Alesle

Jan 5, 2008
Oslo, Norway
this is horrendous defensive zone coverage. Agreed about Boyle, he is covering Tangradi, but even still, he needs to be aware of coverage (or lack thereof in this case) in front of the net. Girardi knows better than to be circling the back of the net as well. Also, while difficult to see, I would love to know where the backside winger is on this play. The puck was in the zone & he is no where to be found. Even with the blueline breakdown, he needs to read the play & cover Neal.

Kreider tried to hit Martin at the blue line and took himself completely out of the play, you can see him hustling back in the last frame.

I also feel the need to re-iterate that I wasn't trying to praise Tangradi for his play, I only intended to tell KIRK of a play where Tangradi's presence had a positive impact. I was thinking a goal scoring situation would be easy to remember, and when KIRK was unsure as to how that play had played out I posted a couple of pictures to show said play.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'd love to get Sid a real threat, but I really don't think we have the assets to do it.

In 2008, we were able to offer 2 roster players (who both showed promising upside). Now, I'm not so sure we can afford to offer guys currently in Pittsburgh, save for Kennedy, Jeffrey or Bort who probably do not have much value to begin with.

Now a guy like Kulemin might be do-able but if we want an Iginla type, I just don't think they would be willing to take one of our D prospects,Kennedy,Jeffrey and a 1st

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't see getting Kulemin. The Leafs are looking to trend upward and add players IMO, not trade a known commodity for futures. For what it's worth Red Wings fans who are panicking mentioned Franzen. If the team really is that bad, and it seems like their defense is at least, I think he's a completely reasonable target.

Franzen is a scary contract to take. Almost like taking Malone, IMO.

Kulemin will require an overpayment (vis-a-vis the stat line), but I think he can be had.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
How dare you think we should soil the beauty, the brilliance, nay the divine of Joe Vitale's play with mere mortal human words? Shame on you.

His deeds need to be heralded throughout the land, so that all the peasants know of his greatness.

Pens best pick in the '05 draft?

Vitale?
Crosby?
Letang?
Vitale?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd love to get Sid a real threat, but I really don't think we have the assets to do it.

In 2008, we were able to offer 2 roster players (who both showed promising upside). Now, I'm not so sure we can afford to offer guys currently in Pittsburgh, save for Kennedy, Jeffrey or Bort who probably do not have much value to begin with.

Now a guy like Kulemin might be do-able but if we want an Iginla type, I just don't think they would be willing to take one of our D prospects,Kennedy,Jeffrey and a 1st

Ray Shero has A LOT more assets at his disposal than 2008. He emptied the cupboard to get Hossa in 2008. What he gave . . . that's all he had.

By the way, the other team at the 2012 draft that loved Pouliot was Calgary. Just saying . . .

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
His deeds need to be heralded throughout the land, so that all the peasants know of his greatness.

Pens best pick in the '05 draft?

Vitale?
Crosby?
Letang?
Vitale?

I think 2004 rivals that . . . we've got Geno, Neal, and Niskanen to show for the first two picks.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Defense took a beating in the last couple of years, Rafalski, Lidstrom and Stuart. Not guys you can easily replace. Might be a good trading partner

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Kreider tried to hit Martin at the blue line and took himself completely out of the play, you can see him hustling back in the last frame.

I also feel the need to re-iterate that I wasn't trying to praise Tangradi for his play, I only intended to tell KIRK of a play where Tangradi's presence had a positive impact. I was thinking a goal scoring situation would be easy to remember, and when KIRK was unsure as to how that play had played out I posted a couple of pictures to show said play.

And I thank you for it and know what you were trying to accomplish.

FWIW, I laud you for trying to help out the more senile posters here like me.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Franzen is a scary contract to take. Almost like taking Malone, IMO.

Kulemin will require an overpayment (vis-a-vis the stat line), but I think he can be had.

Good call I didn't think he signed for that long. If my crystal ball told me he was retiring at age 37-38 it wouldn't be so bad. Still, I dunno I'd look at him.

Kulemin is a decent player. They will/should want Despres.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
Ray Shero has A LOT more assets at his disposal than 2008. He emptied the cupboard to get Hossa in 2008. What he gave . . . that's all he had.

By the way, the other team at the 2012 draft that loved Pouliot was Calgary. Just saying . . .

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
Those three, as a unit, on top of their game, won't cut it in the playoffs. Sid needs a second wheel and a third wheel to make an impact, or he needs the Pens to play only defensively weaker teams in the playoffs.

Name 1 time where Sid did squat with Kunitz and Guerin/Dupuis against a good defensive team in the playoffs.

I would name the Detroit series. They created tons of opportunities in that series and a 2% combined shooting percentage and multiple posts kept them from doing anything significant on the scoresheet. The narrative that Crosby got shut down in that series gets laid on pretty thick however, and it's easy to buy into it when he only managed 3 points. I think if you were to take an objective look at his line, though, you would see that they did fairly well.

I will give you the Montreal series. Crosby's line was brutal there. Otherwise, they've been good, other worldly at times, which is not to be dismissed on account of not running into teams with strong defensive reputations. What his line accomplished is impressive under any light you want to put in. Further, you can only play the hand you're dealt, and they did so about as well as anybody could reasonably expect.

If that line gets back to form, and I see no reason why they wouldn't, it'll be one of the top few in the entire league - and I'd bet on them succeeding, regular season or playoffs, against any opponent.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

He certainly has more prospects, but I'm not so sure GMs would like a return of prospects for a top 6 winger. Maybe 2 of our prospects + Kennedy and Tangradi or something like that. But I'd say the package we gave for Hossa was, at that time, a better package than what we can put together at the present time.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He certainly has more prospects, but I'm not so sure GMs would like a return of prospects for a top 6 winger. Maybe 2 of our prospects + Kennedy and Tangradi or something like that. But I'd say the package we gave for Hossa was, at that time, a better package than what we can put together at the present time.

He's got individual prospects (6 IMO, plus a 1st rounder in a deep draft) worth more than anything he gave up for Hossa.

zhenyas most fly rep

May 3, 2009
breizh

Niskanen (if keep it like this), Despres (if he keeps improving) in about a year are the only ones that would fit that bill. If Shero see them as expendable. Which I don't, depending mostly on Morrow's development. Wow, that's quite the number of "if".

Other players are either untouchables, of weak value or not expendables(in MAF case for example)

PenguinTommy

Jan 4, 2009
Zvolen
The last thing we really need is a winger for Geno !

As much as I love Kulemin, he's not needed in here. Let's put another good winger to Malkin-Neal and play Kunitz and Dupuis with Sid for another 5 years !!!

...or just put Tangradi to Sid for 30-game tryout...

zhenyas most fly rep

May 3, 2009
breizh
He's got individual prospects (6 IMO, plus a 1st rounder in a deep draft) worth more than anything he gave up for Hossa.

Not sure we should look at this trade as something we should expect to happen with certainty. Well, Esposito had some value for them, most likely more than someone like Pouliot actually holds, but I mean, who was the best player coming back for them : Armstrong:laugh:
And to think Shero hesitated to pull the trigger...

Like someone already said, GMs will be looking for one actual young NHL player whose shown some promise as part of a package and we don't have any actually.
But if Shero manage to find a GM who's only interested in picks, prospect and bottom liners, I'm sure Mario and Burkle will be there to "convince" him to take the deal and run.

Last edited:

switch23

Sep 22, 2010
tumblr_mgytcel4m61r6nmfho1_500.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad