Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Game 2 Penguins vs. Rangers

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Understood.

As I said, I'm actually encouraged that this is what we're discussing. Stuff really that is so trivial. Think about last year when we'd beat the Rangers 5-2: Sloppy team defense, team carried by an unreal goal from Geno or an unreal save from Flower, how long can this last, etc.

This team just looks so much better in terms of collective defensive play (not chasing all over the defensive zone, better gap, etc) a thread based on the concept that people praise and *****, where people are ******** about the littlest of things . . . that's a good sign IMO.

You got me talking about Tangradi when I wanted to talk about Vitale, so I should beat you with a wet noodle.

Lets talk about why Vitale is the best fourth liner to ever play the game and how DB needs kicked to the curb if he scratches him ever again.

zhenyas most fly rep

May 3, 2009
breizh
Or that Sid and Geno both are on pace for 0 goal seasons . . . :sarcasm:

EDIT: BTW, if this is the best that we can find to ***** about, instead of how some unreal Geno goal or unreal Flower save won the day, then it's a pretty encouraging sign about the team's collective two way play and focus. IMO, I like this team A LOT better than the one that was beating the Rangers and Devils 5-2 to close the season.

Our bottom 6 seems much better than it was last year. The top 6 will hopefully be dealt with at the Trade deadline. Defense, will see. Still not that convinced with the Orpik-Martin pairing but I've liked what I've seen so far against 2 teams who have yet to start their season.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Getting Sid an impact winger is IMO the only absolute must on Shero's 'to do' list this year.

I was hoping Stewart was going to have a bad start and be in Hithc dog house again, but I guess not. Iginla is still my dream! :help:(I know it's not going to happen)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You got me talking about Tangradi when I wanted to talk about Vitale, so I should beat you with a wet noodle.

Lets talk about why Vitale is the best fourth liner to ever play the game and how DB needs kicked to the curb if he scratches him ever again.

That was covered in about 15 seconds, and everyone agreed with that. :p:

Hey, I'm on record about my playoff lineup:

Kunitz-Sid-XXX (Iginla :))
XXX - Geno-Neal (Kumy :))
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis (a true checking line)
Glass-Vitale-Kennedy (a true energy line that can score, like yesterday)

Only thing that keeps this a dream isn't the cost of Kumy, not even the cost of Iginla, but the idea that Dan Bylsma ever would voluntarily create a lineup card that didn't include Adams.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Among other things, Vitale is just a pest to play against. The need is certainly there to have a line that other teams dread (or are at least annoyed) having to play against. I've always had a soft spot for whoever held the pest role on our team (good Barnaby memories). We've certainly been on the other end of that on several occasions as well.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I was gonna say tk but that bum Martin stole his goal and now his stats don't support him as a top 6 wing

ROFL. See my post above. On this sacred day, let's just say "I have a dream" . . . and it includes a spot for TK.

8Bing7

Mar 16, 2009
Getting Sid an impact winger is IMO the only absolute must on Shero's 'to do' list this year.

No its not. People keep saying get crosby a winger blah blah. Kunitz is perfect and Dupes is a fantastic pickup as well. They have been slow out of the gate but none of them played during the lockout, its going to take some time to get chemistry back but when they are on top of their game that line is good. No need to get another player we cant afford

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Can someone tell me why Glass and Asham fought?

To get the fans into the game, show they have a purpose on the ice, and get their teams pumped up.

That fight was more of a crowd pleaser than anything. Two guys who respect one another. They gave us a great show.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

I agree.

The team is already really good but imagine how good this team can become when Sid also has a Neal type of player. Hell, even if it were something a little less (30 goal guy instead of 40) the possibilities of how much damage that lineup could do is exciting to think about. Hopefully Shero is thinking about it too. We've never had a big time winger for each center IIRC.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Can someone tell me why Glass and Asham fought?

I believe that Aaron Asham is Native American and that Tanner Glass is . . .

No, actually, it was just one of those early season, mutual 'hey wanna dance' things. Asham wished Glass luck before hand. Totally staged.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
I think they'd be a different measuring stick.

The Flyers were a critical measuring stick because they owned us last year.

Boston will be equally critical because they're seen, along with the Rangers (against whom we just match up well), as the class of the conference by us.

I was mainly looking at the preparedness early-on based on losses/acquisitions. The only real loss for Boston was Timmy, but seriously, they have Rask so that is rather moot as far as I'm concerned. Both Philly and NYR had some pretty big moves and I would expect them to need more of an adjustment period in a shortened season like this.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
No its not. People keep saying get crosby a winger blah blah. Kunitz is perfect and Dupes is a fantastic pickup as well. They have been slow out of the gate but none of them played during the lockout, its going to take some time to get chemistry back but when they are on top of their game that line is good. No need to get another player we cant afford

do you think a line of kunitz-crosby-dupuis is enough when the playoffs roll around? i surely dont.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Those three, as a unit, on top of their game, won't cut it in the playoffs. Sid needs a second wheel and a third wheel to make an impact, or he needs the Pens to play only defensively weaker teams in the playoffs.

Name 1 time where Sid did squat with Kunitz and Guerin/Dupuis against a good defensive team in the playoffs.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

We can afford an awful lot in both assets and cap.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That lineup excites me more than a list of mens names ever should

I really don't want to go there.

Let's just say that I posted that before yesterday's game, and yesterday I got to see my Glass-Vitale-Kennedy line in action. Vindication is nice. :D

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
Bruins are a solid team but even them 1 injury in the top 6 like they had last year(Horton) and there's not much there. Very surprised they let Ryder go after their Cup win, he made that team really offensively deep with 3 great scoring lines. Better for us:D

They'll be playing the Jets in a little over an hour, I'd watch the game if you can get the broadcast. It's obviously still really early, but I think they look every bit as dangerous as they did for their Cup run.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Only thing that keeps this a dream isn't the cost of Kumy, not even the cost of Iginla, but the idea that Dan Bylsma ever would voluntarily create a lineup card that didn't include Adams.

15 seconds devoted to the baddest mofo to ever lace up... Wtf?

You people don't deserve the privilege of watching him play.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We can afford an awful lot in both assets and cap.

Shero has more cap space than 2008.

In 2008, he completely emptied the cupboard to get Hossa and Gill. This time, he could get Sid a second wheel, get Geno a third wheel upgrade if need be, AND get the defense some help if need be AND still have over half the big chips in the cupboard (I'm calling big chips the five defensemen, Bennett, and a 1st for sure, maybe a 2nd given how deep this draft is and maybe Dumoulin).

zhenyas most fly rep

May 3, 2009
breizh

Except the only important one : HCDB?
Let's hope not.

The way Adams is playing i can't see Bylsma scratching him anytime soon.. I remember a shift at the end of the game from him yesterday
he was all over the place in the Dzone crashed into the boards 2 times in a row trying to clear the puck and blocked a shot in between. That was hilarious.
From your lineup I'd venture to say a certain #46 would be scratched.;)

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
They'll be playing the Jets in a little over an hour, I'd watch the game if you can get the broadcast. It's obviously still really early, but I think they look every bit as dangerous as they did for their Cup run.

All i'm saying is that if they suffer another injury in their top 6 like they had to deal with last year(Horton) there not that dangerous. Healthy absolutely they are a top team in the league

mr sidney crosby

May 13, 2012
Pittsburgh
nikolai kulemin please. Make the trade before the game wednsday and just have him go to the pens locker room. Problem solved.

Lines
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams
Tangradi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad