Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Game 2 Penguins vs. Rangers

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
tumblr_mgytcel4m61r6nmfho1_500.gif

Vitale destroyed Staal about 30 seconds prior to this.

AccuracyFive

87SidGeno71
May 16, 2012
nikolai kulemin please. Make the trade before the game wednsday and just have him go to the pens locker room. Problem solved.

Lines
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams
Tangradi

I just don't get it. I would much rather use our assets to acquire a winger for Sid.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
We've definitely covered this before (not that it's ever stopped us before). What is Crosby going to score? 150 points with a better winger? I doubt it. He's good for 120 points when he's on fire and I don't think this era of hockey will allow for much more than that. It would be nice to create more space for him with a better player but I think this goes in the "you can't have everything" category.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Why do we want Kulemin?

Jamie Benn!!!!!

Even if Dallas let him go it would not be here.

Serious question though. What is it with Dallas and their quality young forwards? Neal was seen as an attitude problem and once he got here was an easy reasonable sign. Is Dallas' ownership not reasonable to deal with?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Damn....the numbers for our GDT, post and views, 1k and 33+k. Those are HF Montreal board gdt numbers. Impressive, the interest in our 'lil ole U.S. based team.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
Damn....the numbers for our GDT, post and views, 1k and 33+k. Those are HF Montreal board gdt numbers. Impressive, the interest in our 'lil ole U.S. based team.

IT DOESNT COUNT BECAUSE PITTSBURGH IS A SMALL MARKET IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR BIG CITIES TO GET THOSE NUMBERS :rant::rant::rant:

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
****. I had something really good to say, but forgot what it was while figuring out where to post it.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
We've definitely covered this before (not that it's ever stopped us before). What is Crosby going to score? 150 points with a better winger? I doubt it. He's good for 120 points when he's on fire and I don't think this era of hockey will allow for much more than that. It would be nice to create more space for him with a better player but I think this goes in the "you can't have everything" category.

so, with that in mind, what's the concern with Tangradi? Neal was a PPG player last year, and Malkin lead the league in scoring. Is there any room for them to grow?

(Btw, I don't buy either line, but I'm not sure how you can buy it for one, but not both)

AccuracyFive

87SidGeno71
May 16, 2012

Its not just about the points. It would let us have two scary lines that no team would have and this would be enormous for us in the playoffs. In the playoffs, if we face a defensive-minded team in a 7-game series, I dont like our chances. Sid would just get shutdown and Kunitz and Dupuis can't do anything with the extra space. Then we are relying on our second line of Malkin and Neal to get all the offense but they can only do so much by themselves in one game and our defense isnt as stellar as others where we can win games 2-1 and 1-0 consistently.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

It's not so much about points (especially in the regular season), but about the opposing team's ability to defend.

Making a concerted effort to shut down Sid becomes much easier when neither of his linemates scare you.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Even if Dallas let him go it would not be here.

Serious question though. What is it with Dallas and their quality young forwards? Neal was seen as an attitude problem and once he got here was an easy reasonable sign. Is Dallas' ownership not reasonable to deal with?

When Neal was there their ownership was in turmoil...that trade had a lot to do with the ownership issues there. Remember that Niskanen wasn't just a throw-in, he was a necessary 'you have to take this guy too' piece because Dallas didn't want to pay the ~$1.9 million he was owed.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I hate that there has to be a response when a clean hit is given, drives me nuts.

Yes. One of my least favorite things about the game. It seems especially prevalent, these days. I was actually very surprised that the Rangers, to a player (not to mention their often, um... "verbose" coach) didn't bat an eye over it.

It was squeaky clean. Orpik could have really, really played it dirty, there, if he so chose.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Late to the party but my impressions were:

+ Sutter

What a beautiful trade. Quicker hands than Staal, great defensive instincts. He was on his man like stink on **** when the puck was down low, whether his man had the puck or not, and when not he doesn't even have to look at the guy barely. Just knows where he is. Constantly had his stick in the lanes, bumped guys at just the right time so they didn't get a clean look at the puck, etc. He's not the hulking beast Staal is so maybe our trainers can get him to put on another 5-10 lbs (plenty) but very happy so far.

+ Despres
Elmer had a couple bad giveaways, but then so did Geno and we don't harp on him too much for it. You can see it's all there with Despres, it's just a matter of time. Him getting the situational experience and timing of the NHL game down. IMO sitting him in the minors at this point is a freakin' waste of time. Let him make his mistakes. As long as he's not repeating them game after game, I'm OK with a couple goals here on there being on him. Let him develop his confidence and we got a real horse for this D.

+ Neal / Niskanen
We got James Neal for free, basically. :laugh: Another Shero masterpiece with props to the coaching staff for rebuilding Nisky's confidence.

+Vokoun
I love not having a stiff for a backup. Very smart pick-up.

+ Shero

See above.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yes. One of my least favorite things about the game. It seems especially prevalent, these days. I was actually very surprised that the Rangers, to a player (not to mention their often, um... "verbose" coach) didn't bat an eye over it.

It was squeaky clean. Orpik could have really, really played it dirty, there, if he so chose.

There were people angry that Tortorella didn't lie and say it was dirty. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I really, really wish I were surprised.

But that sounds about right, yeah.

I appreciate that Kreider is an important young players for the Rangers. But that hit was pretty straightforward. People use the term "keep your head up" to defend cheap shots to the dome, all the time. But that cliche absolutely applies here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad