Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Game 2 Penguins vs. Rangers

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Plus

+ Glass, Adams, Vitale, TK: I have to group these guys together because they are just the heart and soul of our bottom 6. TK is back like he was 2 years ago. He's skating fast, possessing the puck, and doing the things that made him a $2m a year player. After last year... that's a blessing.

As for Glass, Adams, and Vitale... just do what you guys do. They are grinding the defense down, making hits, and even looking for scoring chances. At one point, they had the #1 line defending for an entire 30-40 seconds. It was tremendous. All of these guys are the difference between us winning and losing games.

+ Geno/Neal: This pairing needs to stay together for as long as they can. They have natural chemistry and are so dangerous. Neal's release and Geno's creative skill is a match made in heaven. An additional plus for Geno's defensive game. He's just on fire when playing against Nash. I counted about 4-5 times he came back and was the difference between a scoring chance and us going the other way.

+ Defense: Every single defender has upped their game from last year. I think we can start with Paul Martin and admit he's living up to his words. It's only 2 games, but we can all see the change. Orpik also looks calm with Martin. They play defense and focus just on that. Letang and Nisky look like offensive threats. Engo is solid minus his one gaffe and Despres is the good/bad. His bank pass is a clear example of why he's in the line up. I don't think another defender could have done that. It was the type of pass you dream of making as a defender. And yes.. he does come with the bad.

+ Vokoun: What an amazing acquisition this is if he continues to play at this level. It's simple. He makes the save and keeps it simple. His rebound control is great. He eats the puck up or puts it in the corner. He's not flashy.. but makes a lot of saves. His ceiling obviously will never be higher than Fleury's, but his floor isn't anywhere near where #29 can take us. He's a gem to have.

+ Sutter: His defensive game alone is stellar. He'll figure out the penalty thing eventually. :laugh: I just cannot believe this trade helped the Pens so much. I know Staal can change a game by himself, but we have Sid/Geno for that. Paying Staal 8M just isn't worth it if we can have Sutter for even 5.

+ 4 Points: That's all that matters.

Minus

Umm.. nothing. I guess I could wish Sid's line was playing great, but who cares? They aren't killing us. Maybe Cooke's penalty for being dumb? I feel he lost some ice time due to it?

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
OrpikSkinnerFreeCandy.gif

aSockalypse

Feb 9, 2011
- having to play Nash 8 times a year... going to be scary as **** once that line / PP starts clicking

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
+Most of the game. Overall, a great performance against a division rival.

-That 10 or so minute stretch in the third where the Pens went into lazy mode with the score 5-1.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
+ Everyone. The entire team played well. Sid may have been the worst player. When that happens, it's a positive.

- Two damn weeks of hearing about the 'Harbaugh Bowl'.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Once again left wondering how Vitale ever sees the press box. Guy should be out there every night.

zhenya71

Mar 2, 2011
- having to play Nash 8 times a year... going to be scary as **** once that line / PP starts clicking

Thought Nash looked dangerous, but his contract is still laughable. I didn't realize until earlier today when I looked up the Rangers on capgeek how much he's making.

And it's six times, anyway, in a normal year that we'd have to play the Rangers.

AccuracyFive

87SidGeno71
May 16, 2012
Amazing game. I wish Sid would get back to his usual self but besides that, this was a win well deserved unlike last night where we were holding on for dear life after the first period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad