Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Game 2 Penguins vs. Rangers

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
On a side note... I've been extremely impressed with Kennedy's work in the early going. In all three zones. He looks like a very, very dangerous player from shift to shift and is providing a ton of energy to the lineup. I know he's always been a quick starter and then fades but he looks a little different, this year. He seems to be making a concerted effort to get his head up and survey his options instead of trying to force something.

This is the Kennedy that convinced me, several years ago, that he was getting shafted by not getting a legit shot in the top six. Hope he keeps it up.

He's hustling more, it seems. Not sure that means he's getting shafted by not being in the top six. What his play tells me is that there's a vital role for him (or someone who plays like he's started) on the team.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Wow guys, enough with the Tangradi stuff. Aren't there more important topics to discuss haha.

Like the fact that we have looked really good going 2-0 against our two most important opponents? Or Martin niskanen and orpik looking quite good. Or the bottom 6 looking great including Mr Harvard Adams. Or real deal on pace for unlimited goals

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I just said and keep saying, give him regular bottom 6 minutes and bring him along slowly.

People want Glass with Malkin, cool. The options are all shifty anyway, so I don't really care TBTH.

You know, I really do think we're on the same page on this one. So much of the issue is that Bylsma ******* the pooch already and some damage has been done.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Like the fact that we have looked really good going 2-0 against our two most important opponents? Or Martin niskanen and orpik looking quite good. Or the bottom 6 looking great including Mr Harvard Adams. Or real deal on pace for unlimited goals

Or that Sid and Geno both are on pace for 0 goal seasons . . . :sarcasm:

EDIT: BTW, if this is the best that we can find to ***** about, instead of how some unreal Geno goal or unreal Flower save won the day, then it's a pretty encouraging sign about the team's collective two way play and focus. IMO, I like this team A LOT better than the one that was beating the Rangers and Devils 5-2 to close the season.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012

These boards are 90% criticism and speculation. The kudos belong in that 10%. I think this thread has met the Kudos Quota.

Now, back to Tangradi.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Or that Sid and Geno both are on pace for 0 goal seasons . . . :sarcasm:

EDIT: BTW, if this is the best that we can find to ***** about, instead of how some unreal Geno goal or unreal Flower save won the day, then it's a pretty encouraging sign about the team's collective two way play and focus. IMO, I like this team A LOT better than the one that was beating the Rangers and Devils 5-2 to close the season.

If neal has 72 and Martin has 24 who the hell even cares :laugh:

zhenyas most fly rep

May 3, 2009
breizh
Those are pictures of the Rangers playing clueless defense. Really guys, I can accept any realistic arguments for his play but this is crazy.

Yeah really, If he used these pics to praise Neal for finding the soft spot and Malkin immediately recognizing that, well that's alright. But Tangradi, he was just chasing after the puck who went around the boards..
If he wanted to show something noteworthy of Tangradi then his subtle interference on the Neal goal from the draw against the Flyers would have been a better choice but then again nothing a 4th liner wouldn't do.
FWIW, I don't think we can talk about a certain number of games for Tangradi to prove himself.
Realistically, I don't think Bylsma is gonna change the lineup as long as we're winning but after the first loss he's gonna be on the hot seat (unless he has shown something, anything meanwhile) And by that I mean a glimpse of potential that would make me think : wow this guy could end up being much more for us than a 4th liner.
Hell, I'm not even expecting as much an impact Despres did yesterday (who is playing exactly like a rookie who has an undeniable bright future in this league with its highs and lows)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If neal has 72 and Martin has 24 who the hell even cares :laugh:

True dat . . . :D

Seriously, think about what we were ******* about last year, when the Pens were beating the Rangers 5-2. Defensive breakdowns, inconsistent effort, the need for some highlight reel play from Sid or Geno or some highlight reel save from the goalie.

The more trivial the complaint, the more encouraged I am about where the Pens are at early in the season.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah really, If he used these pics to praise Neal for finding the soft spot and Malkin immediately recognizing that, well that's alright. But Tangradi, he was just chasing after the puck who went around the boards..
If he wanted to show something noteworthy of Tangradi then his subtle interference on the Neal goal from the draw against the Flyers would have been a better choice but then again nothing a 4th liner wouldn't do.
FWIW, I don't think we can talk about a certain number of games for Tangradi to prove himself.
Realistically, I don't think Bylsma is gonna change the lineup as long as we're winning but after the first loss he's gonna be on the hot seat (unless he has shown something, anything meanwhile) And by that I mean a glimpse of potential that would make me think : wow this guy could end up being much more for us than a 4th liner.
Hell, I'm not even expecting as much an impact Despres did yesterday (who is playing exactly like a rookie who has an undeniable bright future in this league)

Well, aside from a playoff series against the Flyers when it comes to Tangradi, but I digress . . . ;)

malkovsby

Sep 4, 2009
BC
happy to see the D pulling it together, martin blocking some nice shots, orpik laying the body, letang being letang...crosby has to shake off the rust though wow..never seen him make turnovers like that...hesitating big time

zhenyas most fly rep

May 3, 2009
breizh
Completely agree. I don't expect offensive creativity or "superplay"s (haha!), but he has to do hockey things well. He has to win some battles on the wall to keep the puck in the zone for Geno-Neal.

Side Note - Does Neal look more comfortable with the puck this year? I see him making some Geno-esque passes with pressure this season. Tangradi being around these two can only be positive ... IF DB allows it ...

stickhandling, passing and most of all vision are seriously underrated when it comes to Neal. Not many players could read Malkin like he does.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
It's a shame the Pens aren't playing the Bruins until 3/12. I think with their depth and talent (and the fact that their roster hasn't changed all that much from last season) they would be a better yard-stick early on than Philly or NYR.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It's a shame the Pens aren't playing the Bruins until 3/12. I think with their depth and talent (and the fact that their roster hasn't changed all that much from last season) they would be a better yard-stick early on than Philly or NYR.

I think they'd be a different measuring stick.

The Flyers were a critical measuring stick because they owned us last year.

Boston will be equally critical because they're seen, along with the Rangers (against whom we just match up well), as the class of the conference by us.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Look, you're preaching to the choir here. I'm still going to comment on what I see in +/- threads for what I see in any one game. But, I don't know how I can be any clearer that my personal evaluation standards are not tied to the minutia of any shift, period, or even game.

That's cool. But as I keep saying, Tangradi did nothing to deserve scorn or praise. He played a nondescript game and didn't do anything stupid. He should barely get a mention in this thread.

I honestly expected to come in here and talk about a host of other things, especially Vitale. I didn't expect to have to defend Tangradi yet again. I guess I should have known better.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Bruins are a solid team but even them 1 injury in the top 6 like they had last year(Horton) and there's not much there. Very surprised they let Ryder go after their Cup win, he made that team really offensively deep with 3 great scoring lines. Better for us:D

BigBadBoris

Apr 3, 2012
If that's what you want, then we can put Tanner Glass out there and he'll do no different. I personally don't think that Tangradi will ever produce at the pro level like he did in the AHL. I want him to, but his play in the pros for the past couple of seasons has been disappointing at best.

I would love if Shero swapped Tangradi+ for Kulemin. A Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis Kulemin-Malkin-Neal top 6 would be amazing.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis is anything but amazing

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That's cool. But as I keep saying, Tangradi did nothing to deserve scorn or praise. He played a nondescript game and didn't do anything stupid. He should barely get a mention in this thread.

I honestly expected to come in here and talk about a host of other things, especially Vitale. I didn't expect to have to defend Tangradi yet again. I guess I should have known better.

Understood.

As I said, I'm actually encouraged that this is what we're discussing. Stuff really that is so trivial. Think about last year when we'd beat the Rangers 5-2: Sloppy team defense, team carried by an unreal goal from Geno or an unreal save from Flower, how long can this last, etc.

This team just looks so much better in terms of collective defensive play (not chasing all over the defensive zone, better gap, etc) a thread based on the concept that people praise and *****, where people are ******** about the littlest of things . . . that's a good sign IMO.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Kennedy has been great. I just disagree with the last part. This is the Kennedy that to me absolutely belongs on the third line to give that depth scoring

I don't mean to imply that that's where he should be. Only that his level of play is back to where it was when I was high on that idea years back.

I absolutely agree that he should stay put.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Great pictures!

Boyle does his responsibility. The D-man shouldn't be circling behind the net. Like I've said, as long as Tangradi shows small improvements (being in the right place) then give him more games. I hope DB doesn't pull the plug early.

this is horrendous defensive zone coverage. Agreed about Boyle, he is covering Tangradi, but even still, he needs to be aware of coverage (or lack thereof in this case) in front of the net. Girardi knows better than to be circling the back of the net as well. Also, while difficult to see, I would love to know where the backside winger is on this play. The puck was in the zone & he is no where to be found. Even with the blueline breakdown, he needs to read the play & cover Neal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad