Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Congratulations Sidney Crosby!! (1000th Game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
One would hope they still have value as I doubt Burke/Hextall plan on keeping both of them around.

They aren’t Burke kind of guys, but I’m not sure how Hextall operates.

They have the rest of the season to figure things out and their rollercoaster could be going up next week - hopefully.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
POJ is coming back to Earth, I mean he is fine but some 3rd pair role would suit him just fine. If Dumo-Letang finds some form that would be huge for us. Talking about some trades, I am not impressed with Petts tbh. I would look at him before looking at Dumo probably.
Honestly, I think POJ looks a lot better away from Letang. When he played with both Marino and Ruhwedel he seemed more sound and visible offensively.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Now they're going to have to do that every game until they lose.

As much as I'm sure Sid appreciated it, I bet inside he hated that.

Also, Matheson and Marino isn´t exactly a 2nd pair. They were basically treated like a 1st pair tonight. Marino with almost 25 minutes and Matheson over 24 minutes. Once Dumo is back, we are gonna have 1A and 1B pairs. 3rd pair is some combination of POJ, Petts and Ceci who are all around equal IMO. Matheson-Marino has some excellent potential, that´s for sure.

They were and they are responding well. Both elevating their play vs 6-7 games ago has been huge. They are developing chemistry with each other with is vital.

Petts-Ceci has been great too. That said, POJ-Letang is an iffy pairing. As great at POJ has been, that's a heavy work load for him and I would like to see them start curbing it a bit. When Dumo gets back, I don't know who sits...I imagine its POJ which is unfortunate.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Everybody who said "game over" when the Isles went up 2-1, hang your heads in shame! Gotta stay positive, they dug it out despite not a perfect game.

You think they would learn. How many times does this team have to come back in before this pessimistic bunch we have on this board can believe? Well thank goodness the Pens have more heart and belief than these posting chumps. That's why they are on the ice and these guys type for 50,000 plus posts. Message boards of any type are filled with toxic people. I have a ton blocked which helps but even with that optimism is in short supply.

Take the win and nice to see Sid get 2 points. Also like that the defensman scored all 3 goals. Matheson skating was big in his goal. Blueger again gets a point for 10 points on the year. We have our 3rd line center we have been looking for and he has been with us all along and just needed a little development time.

Reactions: tom_servo

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Inspired game? Lol. Why exactly? Because he was chasing the puck all game so it looked like he was trying hard?

tenor.gif

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If Mathesons confidence keeps up I wouldn’t mind him with Letang sometimes, like Daley was.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
Maybe it's just that a guy like Barzal reminds you of what he used to be and it comes into pretty sharp focus that his skills are still there but the speed/skating aren't as elite as they once were.

Barzal spoils me. Man I'd trade Jake, POJ, Kapanen, and a 1st for him and not bat an eye.
Bad Trade. Thank goodness your not the gm. You want a Barzal type? Tank in 2 years to get Matthew Savoie

Reactions: ChaosAgent

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Also, Matheson and Marino isn´t exactly a 2nd pair. They were basically treated like a 1st pair tonight. Marino with almost 25 minutes and Matheson over 24 minutes. Once Dumo is back, we are gonna have 1A and 1B pairs. 3rd pair is some combination of POJ, Petts and Ceci who are all around equal IMO. Matheson-Marino has some excellent potential, that´s for sure.

POJ is sent down when Dumoulin comes back. POJ is getting the least ice time of LD and tonight all defensman and was the only minus defensman being -2. I think he is going to be a solid top 4 defensman but the lineup is going to be this when Dumoulin is back.

Dumoulin-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Pettersson-Ceci

Also I agree that Matheson-Marino is being played like the top pairing with both over 24+ minutes tonight. If those two keep up that play this team is going to be a hard out come playoff time. Plus having a good 3rd pairing after having the worst last playoffs is going to be a big help.

Now if Sullivan can stop messing up the line combos? Kapanen on 4th line why?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He blows and is barely an NHLer. I’m fine with them dropping Kapanen into the bottom six but playing Lafferty over him when he has 0 pts through 10 games is hilarious. But I guess you only save production criticism for McCann.
I'd rather dump Lafferty for Virtanen with other parts to make that cap work. At least that would be a worthwhile experiment in the top 6 with his physicality, speed, shot, and size combo.

That lad is home to so many distractions and needs to be moved out of here.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Well, that was sloppy and choppy hockey. I like that the Pens have shown some amount of dump and chase ability. We actually did pretty well recognizing it and dumping when we had to and gaining possession. 3 W and 1 L vs Islanders (who are pretty good)

Forwards are definitely starting to back check more.

I know people are singling out Zucker or whomever but Guetz and the rest of our Forwards still need lots of work. All of our forwards are pretty "spotty" sometimes. (3rd Line is probably the most consistent but they were off a little too)

I saw posts about explosiveness, etc. ColePens said it best, we won't be able to attack aggressively until we can make that first pass. We MISSED SO MANY RUSHES on the first pass..

Reactions: KIRK and ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I couldn't watch tonight. Overall this season however, he's just been worse than he was last season, thus far.

Tonight was his best game easily. He was a calming presence in a game where we were outplayed significantly. Really all the D played awesome aside from on goal one. It was the forwards who looked inferior across the board.

Reactions: ncm7772

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He blows and is barely an NHLer. I’m fine with them dropping Kapanen into the bottom six but playing Lafferty over him when he has 0 pts through 10 games is hilarious. But I guess you only save production criticism for McCann.

I save production criticism for guys who play 12-15 mins a night and go 35+ games without a goal like ZAR and McCann.

Maybe tell us how Jarry sucks again... fancy stats!

Reactions: Honour Over Glory
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad