Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Congratulations Sidney Crosby!! (1000th Game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I'm not at all. Even at the end he boofed a play with Letang and Jarry bailed them out.

He isn't dangerous at all offensively, he is amazingly predictable and his line plays predictably. And even when he tries defensively his stop/start skating is so below-average that he's getting beat routinely.

Ok. Like I said you're seeing only the negative and it's not a reflection of where Geno's game is at IMO. Exactly how did Malkin botch the play at the end? He had his man all the way down the wall and that enabled Letang to get the puck. Instead of moving it quickly he turned it over; Malkin cut into the middle to be a breakout option and got to the net as soon as he saw the turnover. I wouldn't call that botched. There were at least two other actual flybys that you could have cited.

I'm not saying he's playing where he needs to be but no need to start the eulogy yet.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
As much as I'm sure Sid appreciated it, I bet inside he hated that.

They were and they are responding well. Both elevating their play vs 6-7 games ago has been huge. They are developing chemistry with each other with is vital.

Petts-Ceci has been great too. That said, POJ-Letang is an iffy pairing. As great at POJ has been, that's a heavy work load for him and I would like to see them start curbing it a bit. When Dumo gets back, I don't know who sits...I imagine its POJ which is unfortunate.
Hmm. Nothing with Petts screams "great". He´s been mediocre IMO. Or average. I mean, Petts is definitely fine for the 3rd pair, but POJ can be much more than that and needs to play and learn. Petts is what he is at this point even if he is still kinda young.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
People down on POJ after 1-2 average games is peak HF.

Not done on POJ but realize that he will be the odd man out when Dumoulin comes back. The Matheson-Marino pairing is looking great and won't be touched. The Pettersson-Ceci paring looks good also. So if those pairings keep playing well POJ will be replaced by Dumoulin when he gets back. That is okay because POJ has been a top 4 defensman all last year so getting beat out by him is nothing to hang your head down. POJ is still a good defensman and it is nice to have this much depth on defense. Compared to last year with having JJ-Schultz as your 3rd pairing we are stacked.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yes, Lafferty had a decent game. What a rarity.

Zook-Sid-Kap
Jake-Geno-Rust
giphy.gif

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If Mathesons confidence keeps up I wouldn’t mind him with Letang sometimes, like Daley was.
No, I don't think that'd be a good idea at all. I think you want a solid, steady partner. And while Letang can be very dynamic at times I can see that ending very badly. I'd leave Matheson with Marino.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
If Mathesons confidence keeps up I wouldn’t mind him with Letang sometimes, like Daley was.

You don't break up what is working. Matheson-Marino is strong both offensively and defensively. If Matheson is feeling comfortable you don't F with that. You heard it hear first that Matheson deal would go down as one of the biggest steals of the Rutherford era. 6th for Marino also! Pettersson for Sprong! Rutherford should be in jail for this.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
This comment from Sullivan is an ouch for KK.

“I was trying to find guys who were bringing it tonight, who were competing hard and give us the best chance to win,” Sullivan said. “…I didn’t think Kappy had his game going (Saturday), so I was trying to find guys who were going to give us an opportunity to win.”

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Sid getting emotional in his old age. What a great moment though.

This is why Malkin and Letang aren't going anyplace. Mario will keep those 3 together until they want to hang them up. Nice to have ownership that is loyal to the core like they have been loyal to the Pens. Too bad HF fans aren't loyal to this group. Glad Mario is the owner and not most of you.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This comment from Sullivan is an ouch for KK.

“I was trying to find guys who were bringing it tonight, who were competing hard and give us the best chance to win,” Sullivan said. “…I didn’t think Kappy had his game going (Saturday), so I was trying to find guys who were going to give us an opportunity to win.”
Honestly, I haven't been all that impressed with his game since coming here. He was ok in the first few, but his speed hasn't paid much in the way of dividends over the last couple of weeks.

Reactions: canadianguy77

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Dude.....straight from the heart though. Amazing time to witness.

Ovi would fail to deliver such a speech.

We should never forget Malkin's harrowing Helsinki escape as part of his legacy. To think about that first time coming out and seeing the Pittsburgh Skyline through the Ft. Pitt Bridge after a whirlwind week, then immediately sitting down for dinner with Sid, Mario and Gonchar.

Gonchar's Malkin mentorship should also be fondly remembered. I think without Gonchar there's a good chance Malkin leaves in those first couple years. Gonchar is in the top 6-7 Pens of the Sid/Geno era and for good reason.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
This is why Malkin and Letang aren't going anyplace. Mario will keep those 3 together until they want to hang them up. Nice to have ownership that is loyal to the core like they have been loyal to the Pens. Too bad HF fans aren't loyal to this group. Glad Mario is the owner and not most of you.

Things happen and not everything is up to Sid. Things end and not always the way we want them to. That said, it's been a special 15 years and they have a bond because of that and the kind of people they are. That's rare and I'm going to enjoy it even as I pull my hair out when Letang flings the puck all over the ice. It would be a storybook ending for them to retire as Penguins.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Sid getting emotional in his old age. What a great moment though.

I know us here in the virtual world "consider" the human element of hockey. But imagine your best friends going through so many medical issues, including a stroke. And hell, not a medical issue, but your comrade learning English and fitting in and being such a bastard at it. :laugh:

They've been through so much together that I don't think any of us can comprehend.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don't know that I buy that. I could see Letang being moved before next season. Certainly a possibility.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
We should never forget Malkin's harrowing Helsinki escape as part of his legacy. To think about that first time coming out and seeing the Pittsburgh Skyline through the Ft. Pitt Bridge after a whirlwind week, then immediately sitting down for dinner with Sid, Mario and Gonchar.

Gonchar's Malkin mentorship should also be fondly remembered. I think without Gonchar there's a good chance Malkin leaves in those first couple years. Gonchar is in the top 6-7 Pens of the Sid/Geno era and for good reason.

So many new fans don't even know Geno's story and how he came to the Penguins. Then you have all the shit those three have been through and all the injuries and down times, highlighted by some of the greatest playoff performances ever. We're f***ing lucky.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Things happen and not everything is up to Sid. Things end and not always the way we want them to. That said, it's been a special 15 years and they have a bond because of that and the kind of people they are. That's rare and I'm going to enjoy it even as I pull my hair out when Letang flings the puck all over the ice. It would be a storybook ending for them to retire as Penguins.

I want the storybook ending and so does Mario. Those guys are not going anyplace if they don't want to. Mark it down because I would bet big bucks on that. Unless Mario sells the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad