Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Congratulations Sidney Crosby!! (1000th Game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It’s a little concerning to see KK repeating the line blender issue he had in Toronto.

We’ll see how it goes, but my concern was always giving up a first for a great third liner - but expecting him to fill a top six role.

Yep. Big guns look very mortal at this point and we have just not been an explosive offensive team as a result. Jake, injury recovery or not, ain’t helping matters. Could really use a big addition to the top 6 at some point in the future.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It’s a little concerning to see KK repeating the line blender issue he had in Toronto.

We’ll see how it goes, but my concern was always giving up a first for a great third liner - but expecting him to fill a top six role.

I mean, Sullivan is playing Lafferty who is absolute shit over Kapanen so.

Kap also hit a cross bar.

Reactions: EightyOne

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yep. Big guns look very mortal at this point and we have just not been an explosive offensive team as a result. Jake, injury recovery or not, ain’t helping matters. Could really use a big addition to the top 6 at some point in the future.

Yeah, neither Sid nor Geno looks especially dangerous 5-on-5 anymore and that's not a good thing. Our top-6 wingers are complimentary to them and...well, complimenting average top six centers isn't what you need.

Maybe we generate a lot more from the back-end. I never thought our defense would be this dynamic but with Math, Ceci and Marino rounding back into form they are dangerous out there.

Reactions: Andy99

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Weird how Kap is mysteriously sent to the 4th line while Zucker is getting away with murder almost every game. Tonight that L2 was hurting us so much, Geno, Zucker... And that was the only line that stays the same all game??? Hahaha. Glad that we won but it surely wasn´t because of Sullivan.

Zucker had a couple really, really nifty plays. Yes he took the penalty and yes Malkin's pass hit off his skate but he was far better than #71.

#71's a disaster not gonna lie.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Fitting that tonight was Sid to Letang for the winner.

Sid to Letang was probably the second biggest play of Sid's career - the cup winner against SJS in 2016. It was also the most overrated play of Sid's career - 2010 against Spezza/Ottawa.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Also, Matheson and Marino isn´t exactly a 2nd pair. They were basically treated like a 1st pair tonight. Marino with almost 25 minutes and Matheson over 24 minutes. Once Dumo is back, we are gonna have 1A and 1B pairs. 3rd pair is some combination of POJ, Petts and Ceci who are all around equal IMO. Matheson-Marino has some excellent potential, that´s for sure.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Zucker had a couple really, really nifty plays. Yes he took the penalty and yes Malkin's pass hit off his skate but he was far better than #71.

#71's a disaster not gonna lie.

I really think you're overstating things. Malkin took a bad tumble into the boards there, who knows what happened there. And yeah this season has not been good but he was very good last game and tonight would have been ok but had too many flybys. Not sure if that line will be sustainable, I think Malkin should stay with Rust but I would try Guentzel and send Zucker to L1. There are still lines that haven't been tried

Reactions: RSPens

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Also, Matheson and Marino isn´t exactly a 2nd pair. They were basically treated like a 1st pair tonight. Marino with almost 25 minutes and Matheson over 24 minutes. Once Dumo is back, we are gonna have 1A and 1B pairs. 3rd pair is some combination of POJ, Petts and Ceci who are all around equal IMO. Matheson-Marino has some excellent potential, that´s for sure.

I'd just move Dumo before all that.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Ya, I expressed my concern last year around this time about moving a 1st and good prospect for Zucker... then wasn’t thrilled with the KK deal because I saw first hand how he could never stay in the top six in Tor.

Second line still blows and JR invested two firsts and Addison into fixing it.

Hard not to be a little frustrated.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I really think you're overstating things. Malkin took a bad tumble into the boards there, who knows what happened there. And yeah this season has not been good but he was very good last game and tonight would have been ok but had too many flybys. Not sure if that line will be sustainable, I think Malkin should stay with Rust but I would try Guentzel and send Zucker to L1. There are still lines that haven't been tried

I'm not at all. Even at the end he boofed a play with Letang and Jarry bailed them out.

He isn't dangerous at all offensively, he is amazingly predictable and his line plays predictably. And even when he tries defensively his stop/start skating is so below-average that he's getting beat routinely.

Reactions: Andy99

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016

To be fair, I think it is a little premature to think it will turn out the same for KK as it did in TOR. The second line has been a black hole for offensive production.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
POJ is coming back to Earth, I mean he is fine but some 3rd pair role would suit him just fine. If Dumo-Letang finds some form that would be huge for us. Talking about some trades, I am not impressed with Petts tbh. I would look at him before looking at Dumo probably.

I just don't think you could get any real value for Petts with that contract.

His frame and inability to add weight/muscle really limits his upside unfortunately. I'm sure he's trying but he'll never be able to be over 180 while being in shape.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Ya, I expressed my concern last year around this time about moving a 1st and good prospect for Zucker... then wasn’t thrilled with the KK deal because I saw first hand how he could never stay in the top six in Tor.

Second line still blows and JR invested two firsts and Addison into fixing it.

Hard not to be a little frustrated.

One would hope they still have value as I doubt Burke/Hextall plan on keeping both of them around.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah, neither Sid nor Geno looks especially dangerous 5-on-5 anymore and that's not a good thing. Our top-6 wingers are complimentary to them and...well, complimenting average top six centers isn't what you need.

Maybe we generate a lot more from the back-end. I never thought our defense would be this dynamic but with Math, Ceci and Marino rounding back into form they are dangerous out there.

Matheson has been one of the primary sources of offense the last few games. That’s awesome and also kinda sad.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
To be fair, I think it is a little premature to think it will turn out the same for KK as it did in TOR. The second line has been a black hole for offensive production.

I don’t know if it will - I always hold out hope with various players.

So far his time in the NHL has been him telling us he’s a great third liner that can’t hold a spot down in the top six.

This is what I saw in Toronto so it raises an eyebrow or three when it’s happening with the Pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad