OT: Cole's OT Block Party: Coldplay, Chainsmokers, Mandalorian, Lost in Space, RoS all rock! Let's go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It's based off the factual truth about Project Paperclip (really f*cked up if you ever look up that whole thing) with a ton of creative license (hunting them and killing them vs prosecuting them IRL), but Project Paperclip was a real thing, unfortunately.

The Soviets were rushing to capture as much tech, knowledge, and scientists as well.

There's no good way to say it, but, so much science was learned and so much technology came from WW2.

Should they have been absolved? I mean, not really. But then again a VERY small percentage of Nazi perpetrators were ever formally held accountable, anyway.

But extracting the information and those who held it was very important. The millions had been tortured and killed by that point. There's no bringing them back.

Not using the information learned by the Nazi Party and not grabbing as many scientists as we did would have been an even larger disservice to those who suffered at their hands.

Plus, the f***ing Soviets, man.

I just am not convinced that Operation Paperclip was "f***ed up."

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
giphy.gif

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Man, you think that’s bad, try pronouncing Vsevovolod.

This is a first nations language that in English is Squamish (town in BC). They write it as Sḵwx̱wú7mesh

I did work in a town in the outback in Australia called Ampilatwatja but you say it as “um-blood-a-which”. Yeah I screwed that one up without hearing it first :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah First Nations’ languages are awesome. I love hearing Mohawk but I have absolutely no idea what is said.

Weird language trivia, apparently Australian indigenous languages are related to Taiwanese indigenous (e.g. not Mandarins, Taiwanese, or Hakka) languages.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Yeah First Nations’ languages are awesome. I love hearing Mohawk but I have absolutely no idea what is said.

Weird language trivia, apparently Australian indigenous languages are related to Taiwanese indigenous (e.g. not Mandarins, Taiwanese, or Hakka) languages.

Cool. I did some aboriginal studies when I worked for an aboriginal company. Still have all my material and fished it out when I visited Australia a couple weeks ago. Forgot to pack it lol. I’ll get Mum to bring it when she comes later in the year. Some cool stuff.

The new generation are trying to make a universal aboriginal language that’s really just a mix of their language, slang and phonetical English. Communities that are far apart probably wouldn’t be able to understand each talking in their native language.

I remember one example “asbin” is “husband”.

Speaking of husband each community gives you a skin name and that represents who you are to the rest of the community. I’m sure something similar happens in other cultures but getting back to husband your skin name means you can only be in a relationship with certain other skin names (I guess to prevent any incest babies).

My teacher had a story that one of her older relatives wanted to be with someone he didn’t match up with a skin name. So he asked the elders for permission. They talked and agreed if he passed the test. Which was basically he gets a small shield, his girl stands behind him and the elders throw spears at them. They live, they get to be together.

I visited certain communities regularly and they offer you a skin name which must mean they like you but I was told if you accept you are bound by aboriginal law. Yeah I didn’t know enough about aboriginal law to be comfortable in accepting it.

Can you imagine if I’m staying in a community and I do something I don’t know that’s offensive? 4 hours away from the city and the only white guy in town :laugh:

I’m sure everything would be cool as they are pretty passive people but still I would just rather them think of me as an asshole than be bound by their laws if I did something wrong.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Soviets were rushing to capture as much tech, knowledge, and scientists as well.

There's no good way to say it, but, so much science was learned and so much technology came from WW2.

Should they have been absolved? I mean, not really. But then again a VERY small percentage of Nazi perpetrators were ever formally held accountable, anyway.

But extracting the information and those who held it was very important. The millions had been tortured and killed by that point. There's no bringing them back.

Not using the information learned by the Nazi Party and not grabbing as many scientists as we did would have been an even larger disservice to those who suffered at their hands.

Plus, the f*cking Soviets, man.

I just am not convinced that Operation Paperclip was "f*cked up."
That's a....way to rationalize it. Sure did some advancements come from it? Sure. But that's like giving Ted Bundy a cozy home and life because he found out how to advance some tech or offer some scientific advancements.

There's a reason it was done in secrecy and most will never believe it or understand why it's wrong or yeah...better left off this forum I suppose.

Show is great though. Especially that twist at the end of it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
They don’t get you a house though or a meeting with Corbin Bernsen. If it wasnt red I doubt that happens
Jokes on you, I met the L.A Law legend in San Diego a couple of years back. Big fan of Psych so that was fun.

All I had to do was be at a Starbucks getting coffee and randomly ran into him and had a 10min convo.

Suck it paperclip.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Jokes on you, I met the L.A Law legend in San Diego a couple of years back. Big fan of Psych so that was fun.

All I had to do was be at a Starbucks getting coffee and randomly ran into him and had a 10min convo.

Suck it paperclip.

Psych was awesome.

Jokes on you though you didn’t get a free house in the middle of nowhere. You had to buy a place in Vancouver. Probably before the market went on a 3 year bender straight up you lucky son of a.........

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Anyone play 'Beseige' for pc?
Super simple physics game where you destroy stuff from your own creation you build.

Incredibly good time!

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
...Why the f*** do I keep getting an auto playing video+ audio of McDonald's in like Tagalog or Polish or something on this f***ing site?

PLUS the goddamned I AM THE MIND FREAAAAK cris angel audio+ video blasting at like volume 12 million?

f*** this website

Reactions: billybudd

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Psych was awesome.

Jokes on you though you didn’t get a free house in the middle of nowhere. You had to buy a place in Vancouver. Probably before the market went on a 3 year bender straight up you lucky son of a.........
We got it built but yeah, I wish I could have traded a paperclip for one.

I think they're doing a second Psych movie.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
She's a bit of a watch snob, so probably. :laugh: I had to talk her out of buying a Rolex a few months ago. What's your daily wearer, out of curiosity?
My daily is my Panerai, I have three straps for it, the leather and silicone/rubber both black but I have a blue one I picked up from them when I had it serviced. FFD7B535-D5B2-43EE-9457-B78EDA3B9D72.jpegF126B892-1683-4A05-AEAC-257842BA1C14.jpeg

I like Rolex but it's not my thing. I do like Longines though.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This is a first nations language that in English is Squamish (town in BC). They write it as Sḵwx̱wú7mesh

I did work in a town in the outback in Australia called Ampilatwatja but you say it as “um-blood-a-which”. Yeah I screwed that one up without hearing it first :laugh:

And here we are tripping on Zucker and Sheary changing how their names sound.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad