OT: Cole's OT Block Party: Coldplay, Chainsmokers, Mandalorian, Lost in Space, RoS all rock! Let's go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
ARE YOU SERIOUS?
Do you recommend (when I am a beginner mind you) starting and stopping one in mid-solve and starting it up again the next day?
Or do you recommend to a beginner to start a new puzzle in between days? start a new puzzle or chug a lug through one until it's finished?

I ask cuz i started this one two nights ago and I was rolling, but after 24 or so hours I picked the same puzzle up again last night, and was struggling to get back to my form and momentum I had the prior night.

So just for learning sakes, is that just the difficulty of progression on the problem -- BUT I thought it got easier the more you filled in the columns / rows.

I was going good and correct on the problem until I hit an computational error. (on the puzzle linked) I got... let me check it, I have a -4- that _has_ to go into the 7th 8th or 9th column, 2nd row (2nd line from the top (top right corner box of 9) and 9th column 3rd row.

I SCREWED UP SOMEWHERE!!! Now i'm frustrated, but i'm going to work through it and see if I can solve this problem even with the error.

Riddle me this fat man, does the bottom row of the problem (I linked - you solved) go in this sequence?

732618954 ????????
Yeah, that's right for the bottom row.

As far as finding out where you made a mistake, just start at the top left and start counting 1 to 9. First count 1 to 9 in the square, then do 1-9 in the row, then 1-9 in the column. If the section is full, but you don't have 1 to 9, then you have a mistake. It's not always easy to know which is wrong if the double up are both your own numbers instead of the given numbers, but that's really the only way to do it.

It definitely gets easier as you go. Just keep counting 1 to 9, see what you're missing, then check if there are more than one options for that number. If you keep doing that, you'll find numbers that only have one possible place. The more you fill in, the more likely you can find those spots. That or try to pick out where 2 out of 3 rows/columns have the same number and see if there's only 1 spot it works in the 3rd.

Really sudoku is mostly just counting from 1 to 9 a bunch of times. I'm not doing any sort of math or calculating, I'm just counting over and over. You could replace the numbers with emoji's and nothing changes except its less fluid to count from smiley face to winky face :laugh: .

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not sure whether it's more unusual to think RoS would stand for Rites of Spring or to think Rise of Skywalker was good, but it's rare either way ;)

(I have some moderate liking for both. More about Embrace and Rogue One though)

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Does RoS stand for Rites of Spring the seminal DC hardcore legends?

Or The Rite of Spring, the Igor Stravinsky ballet that was so "avant-garde" in the 1910's that it caused a near-riot on opening night.

Yeah, **** the Monsters of Rock tour, Igor god damn Stravinsky was causing riots in 1913.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I've been told that we're changing contracts on our inspection staff to pay them less hoping that a lot of them quit. Instead of laying people off...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Fast And furious franchise is so weird to me. It started off about being about cars and heists. Then it got even more ridiculous and was about family as it's themes but then it kept dragging the corpse of Paul Walker for sympathy money at the box office and the new trailer? Lol what is it trying to be? It's a try hard franchise.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yeah, that's right for the bottom row.

As far as finding out where you made a mistake, just start at the top left and start counting 1 to 9. First count 1 to 9 in the square, then do 1-9 in the row, then 1-9 in the column. If the section is full, but you don't have 1 to 9, then you have a mistake. It's not always easy to know which is wrong if the double up are both your own numbers instead of the given numbers, but that's really the only way to do it.

It definitely gets easier as you go. Just keep counting 1 to 9, see what you're missing, then check if there are more than one options for that number. If you keep doing that, you'll find numbers that only have one possible place. The more you fill in, the more likely you can find those spots. That or try to pick out where 2 out of 3 rows/columns have the same number and see if there's only 1 spot it works in the 3rd.

Really sudoku is mostly just counting from 1 to 9 a bunch of times. I'm not doing any sort of math or calculating, I'm just counting over and over. You could replace the numbers with emoji's and nothing changes except its less fluid to count from smiley face to winky face :laugh: .
yeah you could play with numbers, letters, colors, whatever you wanted. That website I showed you the link from, completed it's own 9x9 sudoku problem using "WEBSUDOKU" ..... it hurt my brain more seeing letter in there than numbers.
Yeah I didn't use math either, my first one that i tried with my grand mother I had scratch numbers all over the place it was crazy, but i was doing it wrong.

here.. i attached the problem solved, i pointed the pen at the 6 and the 4 that I had reversed, and it worked in every row and column except the last column on the far right. So it was tough to find, but it was rooted in the first square (top left corner. I had the 654 in the wrong order, I think I had it 345 at first.
sudoku.jpg

This was my first official one and I was very light with the scratch ... very few writing numbers down in trial. The remaining numbers that could go in a square I would write in... like if 3/4/5 were an option i'd write than in with pencil and when a 3/4/5 was filled in elsewhere I would eliminate it from the other place and erase the number until only 1 number would work.

Pretty damn cool game I enjoyed and usually i'm a crossword guy, but I really enjoyed this.
Going to work on more.
Oh, I get them from the website, and draw it in my book so I can doodle on paper and take it with me. When i finish I could check it on the website and I'm good to go. I can't do it on the computer screen -- too much staring at the screen would give me a headache.

thanks for your help btw.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mentioned that I bought Fire Emblem: Three Houses a week ago, and I've managed to sink like 50 hours into it so far. It's such a good game. I originally did my run under the Golden Deer, and I just started up a run with the Blue Lions now.

I've recruited basically all of the students at this point, some of which even asked me to join (I maxed out my professor level and support levels with my renown points), just so I don't have to kill any of them in the second half of the game. I'm using almost the same exact team as I did in my GD run through, just because Falcon Knight Ingrid, Bow Knight Leonie and Mortal Savant Felix absolutely **** **** up.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I mentioned that I bought Fire Emblem: Three Houses a week ago, and I've managed to sink like 50 hours into it so far. It's such a good game. I originally did my run under the Golden Deer, and I just started up a run with the Blue Lions now.

I've recruited basically all of the students at this point, some of which even asked me to join (I maxed out my professor level and support levels with my renown points), just so I don't have to kill any of them in the second half of the game. I'm using almost the same exact team as I did in my GD run through, just because Falcon Knight Ingrid, Bow Knight Leonie and Mortal Savant Felix absolutely **** **** up.
I definitely want to play it again, but I needed a break before restarting. And I can't really see playing with the same party twice.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I definitely want to play it again, but I needed a break before restarting. And I can't really see playing with the same party twice.

Meh, I don't see an issue with it. There are limited characters in the game and there were some characters I really liked. I'm just trying to recruit everyone so I don't have to kill anyone. I think the different story lines between the different houses is enough to say that the game is different enough with using the same characters.

I haven't gotten to this point yet, but something that bothers me on the Blue Lion route is that you have to fight and kill Claude's army in the Battle of Gronder Field. In the Golden Deer run, it made some sense to have to fight Dmirti's army because he was so blinded by rage and revenge. In the Blue Lions run? Claude wants to be allies, at least he said that in the Golden Deer run. In the previous 2 chapters, Claude was helping the Blue Lions go through Alliance territory. So why do we have to kill him now? I really like Claude so maybe that's why I was so bothered with that, but it makes no sense and it makes me 100% sure the Golden Deer run is the best run in the game.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Meh, I don't see an issue with it. There are limited characters in the game and there were some characters I really liked. I'm just trying to recruit everyone so I don't have to kill anyone. I think the different story lines between the different houses is enough to say that the game is different enough with using the same characters.

I haven't gotten to this point yet, but something that bothers me on the Blue Lion route is that you have to fight and kill Claude's army in the Battle of Gronder Field. In the Golden Deer run, it made some sense to have to fight Dmirti's army because he was so blinded by rage and revenge. In the Blue Lions run? Claude wants to be allies, at least he said that in the Golden Deer run. In the previous 2 chapters, Claude was helping the Blue Lions go through Alliance territory. So why do we have to kill him now? I really like Claude so maybe that's why I was so bothered with that, but it makes no sense and it makes me 100% sure the Golden Deer run is the best run in the game.
I haven't done either yet so I can't say for myself, but that's the exact opposite of what I've been told by my friend who played it :laugh:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Fast And furious franchise is so weird to me. It started off about being about cars and heists. Then it got even more ridiculous and was about family as it's themes but then it kept dragging the corpse of Paul Walker for sympathy money at the box office and the new trailer? Lol what is it trying to be? It's a try hard franchise.

It’s about making money. Franchise has over 6 billion in box office and DVD sales (production total was 1 billion).

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Well, no **** mate.

I just think it's odd to continue to use that storyline for 2 movies since his death.

Head of the studio walks into a meeting screaming and yelling that they need to make more money and storms out.

Person A “Wow we better come up with something fast. He’s furious. Wait let’s do another fast and furious movie.”

Person B: “We can’t keep doing the same stuff”

Person A: “They keep making money and it won’t be the same. We’ll add a couple new hot people and an extra bad guy then we will change the colour of the cars in the big chase scene.”

1 billion dollars profit later............

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
It’s about making money. Franchise has over 6 billion in box office and DVD sales (production total was 1 billion).
Does production cost consider / and or / include advertising.... transporting actors to and from events / premieres etc etc?
or is it straight up towards the movie directly and no incidentals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad