OT: Cole's OT Bar: Now serving aviations and rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This. I just got my first raise in 8 years of professional work.

Damn, that sucks, I didn't know some companies operated like that. Although do you often get lump sum bonuses? I remember you mentioned that you got a jaw-dropping bonus recently, so your company may just do bonuses instead of raises (which is worse for employees, but that's a discussion for another day).

I thought it was pretty standard for most engineering firms to give annual raises, I may just be wrong.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Damn, that sucks, I didn't know some companies operated like that. Although do you often get lump sum bonuses? I remember you mentioned that you got a jaw-dropping bonus recently, so your company may just do bonuses instead of raises (which is worse for employees, but that's a discussion for another day).

I thought it was pretty standard for most engineering firms to give annual raises, I may just be wrong.

My first three years I didn't get a bonus or a raise. My fourth year I got monthly bonuses based on safety performances as I was in Operations. No chance for a raise there as I was there less than a year. Years five through eight (now) I did get yearly bonuses. This past year's bonus was absurd because of a business split/other business type reasons. And based on talking to others, getting a raise at this company is rare. And I'm assuming my raise was only because of that business split.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My first three years I didn't get a bonus or a raise. My fourth year I got monthly bonuses based on safety performances as I was in operations. No chance for a raise here as I was there less than a year. Years five through eight (now) I did get yearly bonuses. This past year's bonus was absurd because of a business split/other business type reasons. And based on talking to others, getting a raise at this company is rare. And I'm assuming my raise was only because of that business split.

Oh okay, that makes sense. I guess it's more common to not get raises than I thought, I thought it was standard practice to at least get a couple of percent as a cost of living and inflation adjustment. It seems kinda crappy by the companies to not at least have that, but I guess it's working for them :laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Welp, I'm starting to understand all of the negativity from reviews of my company when it comes to promotions and raises. I just got my first raise: 2.25%. When you take into account inflation and cost of living adjustments, that's basically a pay cut. Needless to say, I'm really not happy about this and it's making me completely reconsider getting locked into here to pursue my master's.
Yikes. I had looked into that place and the starting looked decent, but my current job is good for raises. I think that's an advantage of being somewhere smaller but still successful.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Oh okay, that makes sense. I guess it's more common to not get raises than I thought, I thought it was standard practice to at least get a couple of percent as a cost of living and inflation adjustment. It seems kinda crappy by the companies to not at least have that, but I guess it's working for them :laugh:
You aren't alone. I just assumed everywhere gave some raise. Hell I got a yearly raise at the mall.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yikes. I had looked into that place and the starting looked decent, but my current job is good for raises. I think that's an advantage of being somewhere smaller but still successful.

I don't think it's a "my company is cheap" complaint, I think it's just the nature of being a government contractor. They're the ones paying the company at the end of the day, so they can cut funding and the company just has to deal with it. It just sucks for the employees and the company, because the government will cut your funding by 25% and still say they want to increase capabilities by 40%.

Either way, it got me looking into how I actually plan on funding my masters, and I started to realize that staying though my entire degree and getting as much tuition reimbursement as I can is probably not the way to go. There are probably options out there that put me in a better financial spot for the long run than sticking with a company that doesn't pay well just because I'd get $8k-$12k more in tuition reimbursement.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Why are you losing? Cash offers beating you?

People offering cash, people offering $30k higher than list price, seller not liking my offer (they still haven't sold), and I'm not sure about this latest one.

On the one that hasn't sold yet, it's a townhouse in the middle of real shitty other ones. In fact, one of the neighboring townhouses has the word "GANG" spray painted on it.

Last edited:

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
People offering cash, people offering $30k higher than list price, seller not liking my offer (they still haven't sold), and I'm not sure about this latest one.

On the one that hasn't sold yet, it's a townhouse in the middle of real ****ty other ones. In fact, one of the neighboring townhouses has the word "GANG" spray painted on it.
:laugh: LOL! You can't go wrong with that one, depreciation based on neighborHOOD, shitty ones all around, i wouldn't take it even if you brought the price down based on these arguments alone!

Feels like a
1_80cbf48c-b0e1-4960-9c8a-5e21de6336a0_1024x1024.jpg

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

On the one that hasn't sold yet, it's a townhouse in the middle of real ****ty other ones. In fact, one of the neighboring townhouses has the word "GANG" spray painted on it.
Real estate is nuts everywhere.

When I was buying the Lot for my house, there were 3 other couples trying to out bid me, so I had to go up 40k more than the asking price to finally shut the f***ers up. It hurt my savings a little, but worth it just to see them pay even more for another Lot elsewhere.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Damn man.

That's how it is here. You have a budget. Find a place. Oops $50-100k over asking!

I'm lucky I got my heap when I did, three years ago.

I sure don't love it but I wouldn't be able to compete for crap now.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We all know EA is ass, but holy crap. I tried to play online and it dropped 4 games in a row.

Also glitched out, I was down 1-0 and tied it, then it reverted to a faceoff, 1-0 again...fantastic.

Edit: Make that 5 now, this time vs the Caps, I scored short handed with ZAR and he lost his connection conveniently. I'd quit too if ZAR scored on my ass, short handed.

Edit2: For some reason, they recorded that as my loss and recorded the score "3-0"...uh, what? Holy shit, EA is not even garbage, they're the sludge that piles up under trash.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Physical therapy wiped me out today. As in kicked my ass. The doctor gave approval for me to start running and jumping in Tuesday. Ran a mile than day. Also ran a mile today but did many other leg-centric exercises.

Oh, and last time my therapist measured, my left (injured knee) quad was two inches bigger than the right. :laugh:

Cc @Clare2904

Reactions: Clare2904

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Physical therapy wiped me out today. As in kicked my ass. The doctor gave approval for me to start running and jumping in Tuesday. Ran a mile than day. Also ran a mile today but did many other leg-centric exercises.

Oh, and last time my therapist measured, my left (injured knee) quad was two inches bigger than the right. :laugh:

Cc @Clare2904
Good to know that everything is slowly returning to normal. How long has it been since the surgery ?

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
oh my god we got a new neighbor in the apartment above us and their dog hasn't stopped barking since 3 am. It managed to break out of it's crate somewhere around 5. I feel bad for the dog, and I also really wish I could have gotten more than 3 hours of sleep before it started.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
oh my god we got a new neighbor in the apartment above us and their dog hasn't stopped barking since 3 am. It managed to break out of it's crate somewhere around 5. I feel bad for the dog, and I also really wish I could have gotten more than 3 hours of sleep before it started.

It can take some dogs a little bit to get settled into a new place. If I don’t leave mine alone for too long on the first couple days they are fine. If I’m home they are perfectly fine though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It can take some dogs a little bit to get settled into a new place. If I don’t leave mine alone for too long on the first couple days they are fine. If I’m home they are perfectly fine though.
yeah I hope it is okay. I've heard some barking the last few days, but never for more than a couple of minutes. It's certainly worse that it is happening in the middle of the night. What really worries me though is that they've been here all week and I have yet to actually see the dog or person or even hear them going in or out, and the entrance to upstairs is right outside my door. Hopefully it's just someone working a night shift schedule so we just miss each other, and the dog is able to settle in. Like, really soon. Not sleeping f***ing sucks.

Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad