OT: Cole's OT Bar: Now serving aviations and rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
But what is the point of being VIP is there are no P to see you being VI?

The one thing I definitely grew out of after 18-20 was status. Thank GOD. While i like the expensive suit and the beautiful loafer, I luckily do it as it makes me personally feel good and not because other people see it.

Example - i don't own a rolex because I think the watch looks very standard. I think there are 200-500 watches out there that look 10x better and classier. So i'll go the meet/greet and enjoy one heck of a show. And then come to the OT thread and get made fun of. :laugh:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Anyone that's been in these OT threads has to know by now that I hate my job. Bonus day is this week and my boss just gave me a call. He let me know that I got a "successful" rating for the past year. My two previous were borderline "successful". And I just got the highest bonus of my life. It was 40% of my salary. And a 2.5% raise.

Obviously, this is great news. However, it is still extremely frustrating. And that's because I'm pretty confident I did the least amount of work possible in the past year. And years previous I worked my ass off but was totally not recognized for it.

Whatever. I'll take this win.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Anyone that's been in these OT threads has to know by now that I hate my job. Bonus day is this week and my boss just gave me a call. He let me know that I got a "successful" rating for the past year. My two previous were borderline "successful". And I just got the highest bonus of my life. It was 40% of my salary. And a 2.5% raise.

Did you mean 4%? Because a 40% bonus for me would be like $30k, and I'd **** myself if I was told I got a $30k bonus :laugh:

Reactions: EightyOne

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not a typo.

Damn, that is a lot of money. That's a nice chunk to add to a down payment for a house, or at least it lessens the blow of buying a house for you. I didn't even know that you could get bonuses that high in a year, a promotion year for me is a best case scenario 10% raise and no bonus.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Damn, that is a lot of money. That's a nice chunk to add to a down payment for a house, or at least it lessens the blow of buying a house for you. I didn't even know that you could get bonuses that high in a year, a promotion year for me is a best case scenario 10% raise and no bonus.

Yeah man, oil and gas bonuses are ridiculous.

Which means I should have way more money that I have based on past performances....

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
eoZDP3u.png

*shrug*

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Randy you're telling me that my laziness of posting on HFBoards all day at work will pay off :sarcasm:

Speaking of work, I went to a presentation for that leadership development program today and it managed to turn me off entirely from the program. It was 1 thing that made me turned it off, a 2 semester course that every member of the program had to take. To make it short, the course was a ~36 week technical course dealing with a wide range of engineering disciplines, including electrical, thermal sciences, nuclear, materials and such. The course sounded like hell, with having a technical problem HW assignment every week that required a 20+ page write-up. A bunch of people in the program were saying how they stayed at work until 9:30 PM or 10 PM every day to finish these assignments. Not only did that sound horrible, because this job doesn't pay me enough to work until 9:30 PM every night, but it also screwed with how fast you could finish your Master's. Because of how late you had to stay for those, you couldn't take grad school courses during the 36 weeks of this program, which eliminated a fall and spring semester and pushed your graduation even further back (earliest graduation is Spring 2022, I can graduate in Fall 2020 without the program). You got 6 grad school credits for finishing the course, but that workload is definitely not worth only 6 credits.

So yeah, I noped out of that idea super quickly. I told my manager and mentor this, and both of them said the other one was going to be happy to hear this. I guess that means they think I'm doing a good job and don't want me to leave, what they don't know won't hurt them I guess :laugh:

Edit: oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I fly to Honolulu tomorrow. I'm super excited for this trip, gonna be nice to get out of the Pittsburgh cold

Last edited:
Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Looks like 2018 Randy is working smarter, not harder. I respect that.

Speaking of work, is it a scummy move to look for a new job shortly after getting a promotion?

I'd want to know more specifics before concretely answering this, but I'd say no on this. The only difference it would make for me is that I'd shoot for higher in other companies based on that promotion. I wouldn't feel scummy about leaving after a promotion. You didn't decide to be promoted, the company decided to promote you, if that makes sense.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
They've probably got a rota in the management office somewhere for who gets the big bonus that year, regardless of performance.

All of this is reminding me that I need to start putting some serious thought and research into my next career move.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'd want to know more specifics before concretely answering this, but I'd say no on this. The only difference it would make for me is that I'd shoot for higher in other companies based on that promotion. I wouldn't feel scummy about leaving after a promotion. You didn't decide to be promoted, the company decided to promote you, if that makes sense.

I hear ya. My reasons for wanting to leave are legitimate, primarily that management routinely makes poor decisions and the company culture is basically sink or swim. I’m giving it a bit more time until the project I’m on wraps up to see if things get better though.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Dear American friends, I just removed three FEET of snow in front of my front door. I also had to shovel the car out of a big snow bank. Same for my trash, recycle and compost cans. There is no where to put the damn snow, so I put it all in the driveway where the contractor will be able to remove it when he opens my drive way later this afternoon.

We received more than a foot of snow ONE SHOT... and it is still snowing, I will have to go back outside and do it again this evening (there will be a LOT less, but still). Welcome to Quebec my friends, never move here.

Thank god for the ability to work from home.

P.S.: The biggest positive is that it was a "free" work out :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->