OT: Cole's Coffee Shop: Let's talk internet in the 90s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah, he and The Nostalgia Critic have been YouTube mainstays for me for years. Impressive they're both still making quality stuff after all these years.

Steering thing towards YT now...brutalmoose is probably my favorite channel right now. Also a red panda who reminds me of this board from a couple years ago

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Alright - i'll take all your recommendations (Other than Ogre and HSL) for YouTube/Podcasts. I'm in. Here's what I check-in on week to week. Give me some of yours.

- Seth Fowler: Just a shoe guy who also streams some games. Really down to earth and not a typical dbag hype guy. Stresses importance of buying/wearing what you like and gives legit reviews of what is coming out. A must follow if you are looking to buy limited release shoes. Especially for quality/sizing and getting a feel for if it will sell out or not.

- Whatculture Wrestling/Cultaholic/Wrestling with Wregret: All 3 are youtubers who put out reviews/what not of wrestling. I don't have time to watch 5+ hours a week so a nice 10-15 minute enjoyable review or podcast forum is simple to listen to and keep up.

- Cinemassacre(AVGN)/ Pat the NES Punk/ ProJared: AVGN for the videos/reviews and Pat the NES Punk has a few podcasts on retro gaming that are enjoyable to listen to. If you want to remember the past and enjoy listening to collectors - definitely perfect for retro gaming. ProJared does a lot of retro playthroughs and it's enjoyable to watch. Especially stuff like Final Fantasy 1/2/3 (US numbers).

Other than that I pop around some of Bill Burr's podcasts because he's psycho/funny. It is just nice stuff to listen to when you want to fall asleep with some noise.

Oh and Metal Jesus had a terrific podcast before about his early days of working for Sierra. That was during the time I played their game "The Realm". He's a game collector. Very informative. Very down to earth. I love listening to retro gaming stuff even though I am not a collector or player.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Alright - i'll take all your recommendations (Other than Ogre and HSL) for YouTube/Podcasts. I'm in. Here's what I check-in on week to week. Give me some of yours.

- Seth Fowler: Just a shoe guy who also streams some games. Really down to earth and not a typical dbag hype guy. Stresses importance of buying/wearing what you like and gives legit reviews of what is coming out. A must follow if you are looking to buy limited release shoes. Especially for quality/sizing and getting a feel for if it will sell out or not.

- Whatculture Wrestling/Cultaholic/Wrestling with Wregret: All 3 are youtubers who put out reviews/what not of wrestling. I don't have time to watch 5+ hours a week so a nice 10-15 minute enjoyable review or podcast forum is simple to listen to and keep up.

- Cinemassacre(AVGN)/ Pat the NES Punk/ ProJared: AVGN for the videos/reviews and Pat the NES Punk has a few podcasts on retro gaming that are enjoyable to listen to. If you want to remember the past and enjoy listening to collectors - definitely perfect for retro gaming. ProJared does a lot of retro playthroughs and it's enjoyable to watch. Especially stuff like Final Fantasy 1/2/3 (US numbers).

Other than that I pop around some of Bill Burr's podcasts because he's psycho/funny. It is just nice stuff to listen to when you want to fall asleep with some noise.

Oh and Metal Jesus had a terrific podcast before about his early days of working for Sierra. That was during the time I played their game "The Realm". He's a game collector. Very informative. Very down to earth. I love listening to retro gaming stuff even though I am not a collector or player.

I think Laser Time has a wrestling podcast. Their almost universal love of wrestling is the one thing about them that I don't agree with :laugh:

I like ProJared a decent bit. The Normal Boots crew is generally good (brutalmooooooooooooooooooooooose).

Reactions: ColePens

Sjoelbak

Oct 5, 2015
Leiden, Netherlands
Re: The Kitchen Sisters

Basically, they go and find really awesome underground/forgotten stories about food or American (occasionally European) culture and then they go and interview people. They're oral histories, essentially, mostly about food though.

I'll try that one as well! I wrote my thesis on food in Civil Rights themed novels, so finally my research comes in handy :laugh:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think I might go through all of my things this weekend and throw or give away a bunch of stuff. I don’t have a lot of stuff but I feel like my place still gets cluttered and I hate that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I haven't watched AVGN in years, that was an early high school and middle school thing for me. I'm kinda shocked he's still making videos, he was definitely popular in like 2008.

I don't watch too many serious gaming critics, the closest I have is Dunkey and I just watch him for the humor. I'm much more into history channels and informative channels. CGP Grey, AlternateHistoryHub, RealLifeLore, Dude Perfect, UrinatingTree, Riddle, Dunkey and Kurzgesagt are the channels I'm subscribed to.

Edit: I forgot to include Casually Explained and Commentiquette, I'm also subscribed to that.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What do people drink before/during/after working out?

Before? Nothing. I do eat something that would help me during my workout. Like I'll have 3 eggs and two toast an hour before the gym, or 45mins before. Then during my gym, I sip on my water with BCAA's in them, after the gym, I have my protein shake (Isolate, absorbs better), then after an hour of the shake, I eat my dinner. As a snack before bed, I usually have a cup of lactose free cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and some sliced banana's.

Your body absorbs 30g of protein during an hour, if you go nuts with protein right after your workout, it's kind of a waste. Your body can't magically absorb a ton more right away but it is important to get what it needs, usually when you start working out, you get hungrier for more food, listen to your body. Smaller meals isn't a bad thing, but the whole counting macro's and whatever, I've never been in to that. I just know what holds what value and go with that, has worked well for me for over 20yrs.

Reactions: Clare2904

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I definitely still watch all AVGN stuff. I actually like his normal videos. His movie reviews are fair and I like his acceptance that everyone is different and it's all subjective. James/Mike Mondays are good. BoardJames was great. He puts out great content. Definitely worth my time when it's late and I am bored/want to watch some stuff.

I do this too.

Reactions: ColePens

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Rugby is a lot of fun. I was a winger for exactly 4 games until I snapped my tibia against one of the Chicago AOH teams.

So, I switched to judo, it was safer.

Basically, they go and find really awesome underground/forgotten stories about food or American (occasionally European) culture and then they go and interview people. They're oral histories, essentially, mostly about food though.

I’ve been meaning to find some food ones and I’m checking this one out. If it’s bad I blame you.

If it’s more story podcasts then there’s We’re Alive (zombies) and Wolf 359 (space).

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I’ve been meaning to find some food ones and I’m checking this one out. If it’s bad I blame you.

If it’s more story podcasts then there’s We’re Alive (zombies) and Wolf 359 (space).

They're not ALWAYS about food, but a lot of them are. But I hope you enjoy them! :)

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Tango & Cash, that van at the end, lol...I forgot what Hollywood thought was futuristic "awesome" tech.

:laugh: Good movie. Loved it as a kid. Haven’t seen it in a while though. Teri Hatcher looked pretty good back then too.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Tennis fan :laugh:

At least Marin has made it interesting now, I may stay awake

Fed really needs to get a sponsorship deal with Kleenex :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Rugby is a lot of fun. I was a winger for exactly 4 games until I snapped my tibia against one of the Chicago AOH teams.

So, I switched to judo, it was safer.

Not the first time I've heard a story like that :laugh: I've been lucky in my twenty years but right now, it doesn't feel that way. It feels like a maniac attacked my legs with a potato peeler.

Always wished I'd tried judo.

Sold.

Jokes aside, I probably will. Have you, or anyone, listened to Burnt Toast?

No. Another food podcast?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad