OT: Cole's Coffee Shop: Let's talk internet in the 90s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oh man, and Lies. You all need to stop reminding me of awesome books I need to queue up to read again. With TLoLL I can at least make the excuse that I'm waiting for The Thorn of Emberlain to get a date.

Scott Lynch has been through some **** , it's not quite the same as with Martin or Rothfuss.

Ah! I remember someone recommending me the Lynch books, I had completely forgotten what they were, thanks for reminding me!! You and Winger for hire.

Reactions: Winger for Hire

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The first Battlefront before the 2nd got destroyed by Reddit and even Overwatch just went straight to online FPS, etc. Didn't even bother with a campaign mode.
It's an online shooter. And it cost $40. I just don't see why every game needs a campaign. That's not new. Go back to counterstrike or farther to mortal Kombat or whatever else. Multiplayer only games have been around forever. Focus on what you want your game to be imo, don't try to force single player onto multiplayer games and don't try to force multiplayer onto single player games.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's an online shooter. And it cost $40. I just don't see why every game needs a campaign. That's not new. Go back to counterstrike or farther to mortal Kombat or whatever else. Multiplayer only games have been around forever. Focus on what you want your game to be imo, don't try to force single player onto multiplayer games and don't try to force multiplayer onto single player games.
Just seems like a waste, you know? I have some of the Star Wars games where campaign is the main point and they are fantastic.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I loved horror as a kid, which kind of killed it for my uncle who was trying to scare us kids as that one "Cool younger uncle" tends to do to his brother's kids as the tormentor. Instead, I sat fascinated watching Jason and Freddy movies and the Romero Creepshow movie. I'd always just sit there and wonder, why not just run away, why not do that, and my uncle would be like "Just be scared like your brother, he's going to piss his bed and he's your top bunk, haha..." He is still a dick.

I tried to watch current horror/slasher films, it just doesn't have the "soul" or the campy feel to it like the older ones did. The Saw movies are just trash to me, shock factor with a lot of over the top gore and then there's the jump scare horror flicks. My buddy and his wife love the Indsidious movies and want to see the latest one, I haven't seen any of them, I can't remember if that's the movie with the comical midget darth maul thing.

I do remember getting a little older and then watching the Jason movies, for an entirely different reason - the nudity finally started to serve a purpose in my puberty years, lol.

Horror just never scared me. Now chick flicks that’s a different story*

*I actually like most chick flicks. I just threw that in for comedy reasons.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Just seems like a waste, you know? I have some of the Star Wars games where campaign is the main point and they are fantastic.
I have some games where multiplayer is the main point and they are also fantastic. Don't see why focusing on either would be a waste.

I do think EA is wasting star wars though. But because they are making bad games, not because they are making multiplayer games.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I've never gotten into GoT and GRRM and I've also not gotten into Joe Abercrombie, but I'm willing to give him another chance. I wasn't feeling The Blade Itself after like 50 pages; the style wasn't clicking with me.

I have so many new books sitting on my table to read, but I've been meaning to reread Lies for a while now. So I made the pact, of Persepolis Rising then Lies then I have to crack open a new book (maybe The Prince of Thorns).

I'm an admitted GRRM fanboy. I've come to peace on the fact that I'll know how ASOIAF ends before I get to read the last book and can at least rationalize that the show won't be the exact same as the book. Tune will be the same, but the notes will be different.

I couldn't get into The Blade Itself either which is weird. I liked what I read but every time I've tried I found myself petering out near the end. I have to just power through. If you've never read the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series by Tad Williams, it's the same. The first 500 pages are slow and not that interesting but after that, it picks up and is pretty awesome right through to the end. Highly recommend it though, it's sort of a forebearer to ASOIAF and other grimdark of today.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I have been thinking about buying Neuromancer, heard good things about it. But I don't want to just stick to Sci-fi novels. That can get tiresome and repetitive. But I've heard great things about Gibson's Neuromancer.

Neuromancer is awesome and changed the game. His other books have moments and I like some of them very much, but Neuromancer is the undisputed number one.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I love solo traveling because I've learned that trying to plan any kind of vacation with anyone else is like pulling teeth. My roommate wanted to go to Italy over our spring break, which is in 5 weeks from now. He has done absolutely nothing for the trip, and when I told him you need to plan this stuff out early, he just said "my parents are paying for it anyway" and I don't know much about traveling because I "only went to Europe once" (he has gone zero times). Prices have now skyrocketed for tickets just like I said they would.

So yeah, looks like I'm out on that trip :laugh:

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I love it, can do what I want when I want and don't have to cater to anothers taste. Don't get me wrong, when I'm with my friends I love it but yeah, alone is cool. I'm going to Boston in a week, got my list of where to go, what day it is best to go to the museums cost wise, plays I want to see, bars to try, Beanpot hockey booked. Going to be a great week.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Neuromancer is awesome and changed the game. His other books have moments and I like some of them very much, but Neuromancer is the undisputed number one.

Nice, yeah, I ordered the book and it's supposed to arrive sometime next week. I wanted the greed hard cover.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So instead of looking for a boxing and martial arts class, I was thinking of buying a heavy bag when it gets warmer and learning a martial art (like Muay Thai) on my own, or maybe with a few guys at my house with me? and learning to box at my house with 1 or 2 people from work. Also wanna learn calisthenics and start running but 1 thing at a time. Probably start off with a heavy bag and go from there. Been wanting to do all these things for years.

Does anyone train?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
reading is something I have just never been in to outside of getting sucked in to A Song of Ice and Fire. It's not that I dislike reading, but I don't like it any more than a movie or good TV show. And movies and TV can tell way more story in way less time, and I hang out with people who watch TV and movies so I can talk about them with them.

That said, I do travel for work every other week. Any suggestions for audiobooks that aren't part of a big series? Preferably things that aren't overly complicated, because taking two weeks off between listening won't be uncommon.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
reading is something I have just never been in to outside of getting sucked in to A Song of Ice and Fire. It's not that I dislike reading, but I don't like it any more than a movie or good TV show. And movies and TV can tell way more story in way less time, and I hang out with people who watch TV and movies so I can talk about them with them.

That said, I do travel for work every other week. Any suggestions for audiobooks that aren't part of a big series? Preferably things that aren't overly complicated, because taking two weeks off between listening won't be uncommon.

It depends on the person, also the material of course. For me, I'll use RPO as an example, Cline paints enough of a picture for me (with my own nostalgia and affinity for the stuff in this book as well for the 80's and 70's sci-fi and pop culture), I found myself fully immersed and able to visualize what he was trying to picture for the readers. Every time I opened that book, I was in the Oasis with Parzival, looking for the Keys, etc. The explosion of the Stacks, I felt like I was with him in the van and felt the shaking from the explosion as well, I got goosebumps reading that book.

I didn't when I saw the trailer for it. Movies and tv shows leave a lot out, some stuff just can not be adapted well enough or it just doesn't make sense with the time you are allotted. So for me, yeah the movies and tv shows are cool for adaptations, but I still find the time to read the books, because that's what the author intended you to see first, some do help adapt it to screen play, but not all do and in doing so, a lot of the emotion of the original material is taken away I find.

Which is not to say I do not enjoy the adaptations to film or tv, I just have to really force myself to realize that they are not straight adaptations.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It depends on the person, also the material of course. For me, I'll use RPO as an example, Cline paints enough of a picture for me (with my own nostalgia and affinity for the stuff in this book as well for the 80's and 70's sci-fi and pop culture), I found myself fully immersed and able to visualize what he was trying to picture for the readers. Every time I opened that book, I was in the Oasis with Parzival, looking for the Keys, etc. The explosion of the Stacks, I felt like I was with him in the van and felt the shaking from the explosion as well, I got goosebumps reading that book.

I didn't when I saw the trailer for it. Movies and tv shows leave a lot out, some stuff just can not be adapted well enough or it just doesn't make sense with the time you are allotted. So for me, yeah the movies and tv shows are cool for adaptations, but I still find the time to read the books, because that's what the author intended you to see first, some do help adapt it to screen play, but not all do and in doing so, a lot of the emotion of the original material is taken away I find.

Which is not to say I do not enjoy the adaptations to film or tv, I just have to really force myself to realize that they are not straight adaptations.
Oh don't get me wrong, books are usually better than a movie/show adapted from the book. Not always, but more often than not. But I'm talking about movies or TV in general, not just adaptations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad