OT: Cole's Coffee Shop: Let's talk internet in the 90s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
reading is something I have just never been in to outside of getting sucked in to A Song of Ice and Fire. It's not that I dislike reading, but I don't like it any more than a movie or good TV show. And movies and TV can tell way more story in way less time, and I hang out with people who watch TV and movies so I can talk about them with them.

That said, I do travel for work every other week. Any suggestions for audiobooks that aren't part of a big series? Preferably things that aren't overly complicated, because taking two weeks off between listening won't be uncommon.

I dunno about, or if there's, an audiobook.. but Drew Magary's "The Hike" was a pretty good business trip read for me.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
reading is something I have just never been in to outside of getting sucked in to A Song of Ice and Fire. It's not that I dislike reading, but I don't like it any more than a movie or good TV show. And movies and TV can tell way more story in way less time, and I hang out with people who watch TV and movies so I can talk about them with them.

That said, I do travel for work every other week. Any suggestions for audiobooks that aren't part of a big series? Preferably things that aren't overly complicated, because taking two weeks off between listening won't be uncommon.

Have you tried podcasts?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't know where else to put this, but I just learned I have an elite prospects page because I played hockey in college. Just a fun thing I saw :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Nice! Did they say nice things about you?

"Immense talent with looking fierce on the bench with the kind of mean mug drinking gatorade that would be reserved for veteran NHL'ers like Gary Roberts. Unfortunately, due to explosive diarrhea, his career was cut short, along with his explosive skating, he had far too many other explosive features that were not beneficial. Was recently seen in Goon 2 as Extra #148 in the Stands for the final scene."
- NHL Scout.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
"Immense talent with looking fierce on the bench with the kind of mean mug drinking gatorade that would be reserved for veteran NHL'ers like Gary Roberts. Unfortunately, due to explosive diarrhea, his career was cut short, along with his explosive skating, he had far too many other explosive features that were not beneficial. Was recently seen in Goon 2 as Extra #148 in the Stands for the final scene." - NHL Scout.

10G

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I have not. Any suggestions on that?

I listen to a ton of podcasts, especially on walks. There's generally something out there for nearly every interest, but what are you interested in?

Personally I'm a sucker for basically everything the folks at Laser Time make, especially Thirty Twenty Ten.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History gets my vote as 'best' podcast...just be forewarned that most of them are ~5 hours long and they can take half a year to come out at times. That's more ideal 'background listening while playing Civilization VI' than 'going for a walk' listening, though...

Reactions: ColePens

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
What are you interested in? I’m starting myths and legends right now and I’m largely about crime and history.
I listen to a ton of podcasts, especially on walks. There's generally something out there for nearly every interest, but what are you interested in?

Personally I'm a sucker for basically everything the folks at Laser Time, especially Thirty Twenty Ten.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History gets my vote as 'best' podcast...just be forewarned that most of them are ~5 hours long and they can take half a year to come out at times. That's more ideal 'background listening while playing Civilization VI' than 'going for a walk' listening, though...

I like movies and tv and games and stuff. Science and Tech stuff is cool I guess. Some history is cool. Honestly, I've done so little reading etc that I don't really know :laugh:

Long stuff like that isn't a problem, I pretty much expect this to be something I do on my work trips which are 6-7 hours.

That sounds...interesting. I may give this one a go.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I like movies and tv and games and stuff. Science and Tech stuff is cool I guess. Some history is cool. Honestly, I've done so little reading etc that I don't really know :laugh:

Long stuff like that isn't a problem, I pretty much expect this to be something I do on my work trips which are 6-7 hours.

Okay... some of the things I’m subscribed to.

Outside podcast
Malcolm Gladwell’s revisionist history
Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History
Casefile True Crime
Unexplained
Myths and Legends
99% Invisible
We hate movies

And I just found Flash Forward

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Give a couple of those Laser Time podcasts a chance. Thirty Twenty Ten covers news and releases from 10 years ago, 20 years ago, and 30 years ago for a given week (1988/1998/2008, they've been doing this since the start of 2006). Their namesake podcast takes one subject and expands on it, so that's one you'd probably want to go find a topic that interests you and see what you think (like the most recent one would probably be the worst possible episode to listen to as a first episode, so I'd recommend a lighter-hearted affair such as The Importance of Loving Ernest (P. Worrell), Dead Theme Park Rides, or Famous Farts. They have a games podcast that is pretty good, but most importantly they have a Simpsons show that has covered every episode through the sixth season so far.

I haven't listened to that Polybius Conspiracy one Winger mentioned, though I'm familiar with the story from a few other places. Definitely the most interesting conspiracy theory involving games...even if it is rather easily explained. If you're not familiar with it, I'd definitely suggest it.
maxresdefault.jpg

polybius-wreck-it-ralph.jpg

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
99% Invisible is a dope, dope podcast. So are the ones the Kitchen Sisters do if you're at all into food and American weirdness.

Please explain further. Particularly about food and American weirdness.

I currently only listen to My Favourite Murder.

Also for workouts I go with water, unless I'm doing weights in which case I'll drink chocolate milk after. Yes, I am too lazy to quote people right now.

As for audiobooks... Ogre, what style of fiction do you like? I'm not an audiobook person myself, but I am a book fanatic and do know a few people like their books audible. The heathens.

I played rugby today and will now be sitting on the couch medicating with vodka for the rest of until my glass runs out and I'm too lazy to get up.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Rugby is a lot of fun. I was a winger for exactly 4 games until I snapped my tibia against one of the Chicago AOH teams.

So, I switched to judo, it was safer.

Re: The Kitchen Sisters

Basically, they go and find really awesome underground/forgotten stories about food or American (occasionally European) culture and then they go and interview people. They're oral histories, essentially, mostly about food though.

Reactions: Peat

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I did watch about a 70 minute take on it from youtube that basically debunked the whole theory. I thought it was interesting but once the facts started piling up, it was pretty clear it was just a story.

Just beware if you are going further into documentaries on it. A lot of them are just jump scare attempts (AVGN).

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I definitely still watch all AVGN stuff. I actually like his normal videos. His movie reviews are fair and I like his acceptance that everyone is different and it's all subjective. James/Mike Mondays are good. BoardJames was great. He puts out great content. Definitely worth my time when it's late and I am bored/want to watch some stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad