Confirmed with Link: ColePens Said ANYTHING for the B2B Cup (Hornqvist traded to Florida for Matheson + Sceviour)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think as a general rule of thumb, they should get the phone call before it hits the media. Especially if it's the offseason and not in the run-up to the TDL.

I want the org to at least make a good faith effort to reach the player beforehand.

They didn't talk to the media about it though. They can't help the leaks. That's on the leakers, not the organization/JR.

I think our bigger problem is who do we have like Klingberg on D who can create a shooting lane and get a hard enough shot on net to create a rebound opportunity around the net. I think we have more people who could be at the net like Jake and no one who could make the shot klingberg did

Matheson, obviously.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
No one "forced" Hornqvist to waive his NTC. He has the complete power to veto any trade. He decided to not do that, he approved the trade.

I really don't get Hornqvist's angle here if he's pissed about being traded. If he didn't want to leave Pittsburgh, just veto the trade. You have the complete power to do that. If he wanted to stay in Pittsburgh but accepted the trade because he was mad that Pittsburgh "didn't want him", he was acting completely emotionally and not thinking logically. I really doubt this is the case, because he has been traded before and I can't imagine he's going to emotionally react like that.

It's a business from both sides. Pittsburgh trading you doesn't mean that they "don't want you", and Hornqvist vetoing a trade doesn't mean that the Penguins would be upset that he stayed.

I agree. He said "the team didn't want me." JR didn't want him, but f*** JR. The rest of the team would have been ecstatic if he stayed, I'm sure. If I were Hornqvist I would have taken my sweet time to sign off on something. Shouldn't have given him the NTC if you didn't want him to use it.

That and I think if he wasnt paired with JJ, JR doesnt mention anything about Schultz.

I mean who wasnt disappointed in the way Schultz played? He should have been a luxury to have on our 3rd pair. Not the complete opposite.

JJ didn't impact the reasons why Schultz was shit.

I have been the biggest Schultz fan around here, but he really was atrocious this past season and it's time for him to move on.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Thing is, the leak basically ensures the player will waive as it's now so public.

I don’t see why that matters TBTH.

Kessel didn’t waive when it became public he was being moved to Minny.

Hornqvist doesn’t strike me as a guy who would do something he didn’t want to.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Am I bothered?

Yeah because they wouldn't do that to Sid and Geno so why do they f***ing feel they have the right to treat Horny like shit? And yeah they treated him like shit with that deal.

They didn't ask him to waive.
They negotiated a deal and the media leaked it and Horny and his family had that out there and then JR ASKED HIM. After the deal was basically made. They asked him then and only then.

That's f***ing bullshit.
f***ing bullshit. That isn't how you treat a player that was first class to the team and how he put his f***ing body on the line each game. They've treated a worse player like JJ, far better.

no its not. Thats how this shit works.

they did nothing wrong here.

whoever leaked it is an ass hat but thats about it.

Reactions: SEALBound

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Sure.

So why not call?

Is it that you need them to find out through the media to be mad enough to leave ya?
Sure.

So why not call?

Is it that you need them to find out through the media to be mad enough to leave ya?

they did call, once it was appropriate to do so, after they have a deal.

There is zero point to ask someone to waive a full no trade before you have or are 99% of the way to a deal

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Yeah I'm about done with this team. JR is officially a joke. Trading a good player for 2 scrubs and less cap space? lol. Just lol

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
I was on board with moving hornqvist because of his cap hit and that i feel he's going to dramatically decline in production (he is already). But to take on more cap and not get a player of consequence is just brutal. It's like a trade just to make a trade, and when you're dealing with a fan and locker room favorite it's probably better to just not make the trade.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I have been the biggest Schultz fan around here, but he really was atrocious this past season and it's time for him to move on.

If memory serves, Schultz’s underlying numbers were much better away from Johnson and Johnson inevitably did impact him like he impacts everyone. I think they were were idiots for putting a player coming back from such a serious injury with Johnson and leaving the pairing while he struggled, tbh. That was a $5.5M player who was a big part of that second cup run and an almost $9M bottom pairing they couldn’t be bothered with.

Schultz had his own issues and was ravaged by injuries, but it makes you wonder what would have happened if they’d kept him away from jj. Some of it was on Schultz in a vacuum and who knows if he’d have been better if they handled him differently, but you don’t set people up to fail and get pissy when they do. You don’t then throw them under the bus to protect your favourite child and ignore the contributions of others to the problem.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I agree. He said "the team didn't want me." JR didn't want him, but f*** JR. The rest of the team would have been ecstatic if he stayed, I'm sure. If I were Hornqvist I would have taken my sweet time to sign off on something. Shouldn't have given him the NTC if you didn't want him to use it.

Credit to you for actually having a favorite player but then acknowledging their faults. Could use much, much more of that round here.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If memory serves, Schultz’s underlying numbers were much better away from Johnson and Johnson inevitably did impact him like he impacts everyone. I think they were were idiots for putting a player coming back from such a serious injury with Johnson and leaving the pairing while he struggled, tbh. That was a $5.5M player who was a big part of that second cup run and an almost $9M bottom pairing they couldn’t be bothered with.

Schultz had his own issues and was ravaged by injuries, but it makes you wonder what would have happened if they’d kept him away from jj. Some of it was on Schultz in a vacuum and who knows if he’d have been better if they handled him differently, but you don’t set people up to fail and get pissy when they do. You don’t then throw them under the bus to protect your favourite child and ignore the contributions of others to the problem.

He's going to have worse numbers with Johnson - everyone does. But the major issues with Schultz are on Schultz and the injuries he has had. I actually started to question if Schultz was pouting towards the end here because it looked like he completely gave up.

I don't agree with airing grievances in public. I think sometimes it can be used as a tool to motivate, but I don't agree with taking parting swipes. I think JR has the same feeling with Schultz as I began to - he packed it in. If JR feels Schultz packed it in, and Schultz really did do that, in turn, disrespecting the entire organization...well...I don't agree with the swipes normally but I understand them.

Credit to you for actually having a favorite player but then acknowledging their faults. Could use much, much more of that round here.

I thought Schultz was the perfect #3 here. He should have been given more time on the powerplay. He played great defense, and was exactly what we should be praying to the hockey Gods that Mike Matheson can turn into. If Matheson turns into Schultz of 15-17, this team wins another Stanley Cup while he's here. That's how great/important I thought Schultz was.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
JTG you don't mean Schultz was the #3 the last couple of seasons, though, right? Because he played like he wasn't even an NHLer. He was brutal. I thought it was due to injuries, though. He just never regained form.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Rico Im Ur Fata

Jun 23, 2003
Hong Kong
doxxing!!!!!??!? there is actually a large amount of posters from all over...hell we even have an Aussie...if someone from there can find the beauty in hockey, someone from ANYWHERE can, f***, what does it matter with location these days? You can follow any sport anywhere online.

Salutations. I am from China

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
JTG you don't mean Schultz was the #3 the last couple of seasons, though, right? Because he played like he wasn't even an NHLer. He was brutal. I thought it was due to injuries, though. He just never regained form.

Right. And that is probably why JR was more disappointed in him than JJ. Expectations. We added Marino yet it kind of canceled things out with Schultz playing so bad. If JS was him normal self than this defense would have been more than good enough to contend. Even with JJ as the 6th dman. They would have had 5 solid dmen, and able to avoid playing a bad 3rd pair for as long as they did. Could have mixed Schultz in there with the 2nd pair .

You cant have both of your bottom pair be that bad. Look at the Preds in the finals for example. As good as their top 4 was..we basically beat them by scoring so much against their 3rd pair. That killed them.

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Right. And that is probably why JR was more disappointed in him than JJ. Expectations. We added Marino yet it kind of canceled things out with Schultz playing so bad. If JS was him normal self than this defense would have been more than good enough to contend. Even with JJ as the 6th dman. They would have had 5 solid dmen, and able to avoid playing a bad 3rd pair for as long as they did. Could have mixed Schultz in there with the 2nd pair .

You cant have both of your bottom pair be that bad. Look at the Preds in the finals for example. As good as their top 4 was..we basically beat them by scoring so much against their 3rd pair. That killed them.

Yep 100% this. And i don't want to sound like a Schultz hater. I'm not. I just think he struggled big time for 2 years and was not himself due to injuries. He will figure it out. We don't win in 2017 w/o him. He was that important.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Pretty fragile mentality for a supposed viking warrior. :naughty:

I don't think it means anything though, in reality.

At first I knee jerked thinking mannnnnn JR f***ed up. Then I got to thinking, Horny is a warrior and a fierce competitor. He likely wanted to continue to compete for the POs and the Cup and is frustrated that the Panther are a fringe playoff team. It's business though and that's how it goes

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Horny hasn't played in the top six for two seasons. I think that could be one of the reasons he waived.

He played 40% of the last 2 years with Malkin or Crosby at 5v5. Same ATOI last season as 16/17 and same rate of production too.

Probably more to do with being asked to waive that the writing was on the wall regarding his role on the Pens. So better take the fresh start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad