Confirmed with Link: ColePens Said ANYTHING for the B2B Cup (Hornqvist traded to Florida for Matheson + Sceviour)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I can break down his overall trading and UFA signings when I have more time. Not everything is bad but he does overpay and loses again when he has to fix things that are pretty common sense. Eventually it catches up to you. His grade since our last cup would be pretty low.

We don’t need more low IQ defenders it’s the last thing we need! The strain it puts on our team and our goalie is huge. Letang is an exception because he can push the play like many can’t and his instincts going forward with the puck are generally pretty good.

Tanking for a generational talent is an awful way to do things. The last team to win a cup having a first overall draft pick was from 2007 (Chicago/Kane). At this point I’d rather a GM who can retool effectively. Smart trades, good drafting, good FA signings. Crosby and Malkin while they won’t be what they used to be will still be good players and good planning can keep us having a shot. On the flip side if Malkin leaves when his contract is up that’s a lot of cap we suddenly have to make the best of the situation.

Is Torey Krug a “high IQ” player?

How about Klingberg? Shattenkirk? Orlov?

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
I don't think nearly anyone would be crapping on this trade if Matheson's contract had 3 years left. If Matheson didn't work out, three years is workable with an ugly payment after two for someone to take him the last year. If Matheson doesn't work out now, he's an absolute anchor with that contract. You won't be able to trade him if he flops with us. We'll be ticking off the years until his contract is over or we get to the point we decide to buy him out. It will be Alzner part II. It has the potential to be JR's parting gift that keeps on giving long after JR's gone.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
He had one more year of a full NMC. He also did waive it so it think it was an unnecessary risk.

Now if MM doesn’t work out it’s a tough contract to move or you are paying 4.875 mil for a bottom pair D.

The optics aren’t good and I’m more mad at the sum of what JR has been doing. This is another piece to that. I’ve lost almost all my positivity when it comes to JR.

I think we should have gotten a better return but this is the worst off season to do that. With there being so many teams up against the cap...UFA situation(maybe if we waited til then we would have gotten a better return) ...etc. Not to mention the fact he has been out of our top 6 so there is the perception that he is a worse player now when he isnt.

However I also see this trade as not what they think of PH, but think they are getting in Matheson. Someone who has only played 4 years on a team with bad D play as well as being blocked by both Ekblad and Yandle for any time on the PP. Who has a better shot than alot of dmen out there , averaging around 7% a year. Fast skater.

Imo they are looking at it as if he just stays at his current play hes an upgrade over what we had lately in Schultz. And his contract wouldnt be an issue to trade if we needed to in a few years or so. But he will get PP mins with only Letang ahead of him so that alone should increase his scoring. It also gives them a dman who can help Marino not have that soph slump. While Petts can continue to grow on the 3rd pair. And if there are any injuries we have more options.

Those are the basics. If all goes well tho, and he turns into a much better player with the Pens then this gives them the opportunity to help replace Letang if he isnt planning on staying here when his contract is up. And if he stays it simply gives us more offense from our D which we usually lack. With the PP mins he will be getting now, maybe totals of +10 goals and + 30 assists. Basically what JS did during his 2017 season. Thats what they are expecting.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't think nearly anyone would be crapping on this trade if Matheson's contract had 3 years left. If Matheson didn't work out, three years is workable with an ugly payment after two for someone to take him the last year. If Matheson doesn't work out now, he's an absolute anchor with that contract. You won't be able to trade him if he flops with us. We'll be ticking off the years until his contract is over or we get to the point we decide to buy him out. It will be Alzner part II. It has the potential to be JR's parting gift that keeps on giving long after JR's gone.

Alzner can’t skate and was a bad defenseman being forced into soft roles on a good team and still looking bad.

Matheson has sparkling analytics when it comes to transition and goal scoring and is probably the best skater on our D now.

Totally different situation. Long term contracts mean nothing if he is an NHL player for the length of it.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Is Torey Krug a “high IQ” player?

How about Klingberg? Shattenkirk? Orlov?

I’m not talking about high iq just not low IQ. It’s not one or the other there are inbetweens. Matheson from what I’ve read is prone to making a lot of dumb plays and doesn’t make up for it with production.

Is Matheson as good as the players you’ve mentioned? If not then it’s kind of irrelevant isn’t it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad