GDT: R1:G3 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes | April 25th | 7:30 PM | F/3-2 L

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Can we add Sorokin to the list of horrible Lou contracts

Not yet. Holy…um…Throttle

It’s been a year. A goalie doesn’t just lose ability. Another mediocre season; sure, we can start those discussions.

Tonight. Wrong decision putting Ilya in, with that said, Varly was looking sluggish last game. The deployment is on Roy.

Ilya will bounce back next year.

Munber1

Jun 5, 2011
just finished watching the game, as I recorded it....i'm pretty sure that when Anderson caught the puck laying on his side with about 5 minutes left, the puck was behind the red line in his glove....if you recorded the game freeze the picture and have a look....

• Wow
Reactions: scottywiper

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
At what point does Malkin say "this is good?" Also if your Ledecky, who is a billionaire in his own right and has owned an NBA team, stops and says look I aint Chuck E Cheese here.. the fans are calling for his head. this team isnt getting any younger and neither is Lou. We need to have a plan B.

I will be deeply, deeply concerned if ownership gives one quarter of a shit about what the fans are 'calling for'.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
just finished watching the game, as I recorded it....i'm pretty sure that when Anderson caught the puck laying on his side with about 5 minutes left, the puck was behind the red line in his glove....if you recorded the game freeze the picture and have a look....
Nah. How Romanov didn't score thought was beyond belief.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This one was a real shame. Lots of good stuff over the final 30 minutes.

The combination of Sorokin just not being ready to get the job done and a renewed inability to consistently get the little things taken care of properly torpedoed the effort. In essence, the game was over with that unassuming Aho goal.

The goals tonight were just too easy for Carolina.

So, if the guys do manage to win 4 in a row now, it will be one of the most unlikely come-from-down-3-nill I've certainly ever witnessed.

But it sure didn't feel like Carolina was too much to handle last night. That was a winnable game.

You know, I do believe you have to create your own luck, but Andersen has literally stood on his head 3-4 times in this series while covering up a few rebounds in the last second a couple of times as well - and it's feeling like that is the true difference right now.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
We can blame it on Sorokin but he wasn’t in net for game 2 and 1, it seems Carolina only needs to play as hard as needed to win. They are far superior with average goaltending. Looking forward , this team minus Lou needs to reshape its roster and it can’t be him because he just can’t see past them as being good enough and it’s not. Been a loyal fan since 75 but I’m not kidding myself that this roster can contend.

Last edited:

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
This one was a real shame. Lots of good stuff over the final 30 minutes.

The combination of Sorokin just not being ready to get the job done and a renewed inability to consistently get the little things taken care of properly torpedoed the effort. In essence, the game was over with that unassuming Aho goal.

The goals tonight were just too easy for Carolina.

So, if the guys do manage to win 4 in a row now, it will be one of the most unlikely come-from-down-3-nill I've certainly ever witnessed.

But it sure didn't feel like Carolina was too much to handle last night. That was a winnable game.

You know, I do believe you have to create your own luck, but Andersen has literally stood on his head 3-4 times in this series while covering up a few rebounds in the last second a couple of times as well - and it's feeling like that is the true difference right now.
I thought they would be able to exploit the loss of Pesce. Didn't do it in game 2 and didn't in this one either. The Pesce-Skjei pairing does some heavy lifting and yet the Canes were still able to manage chances fairly well.

Funny but for all the negatives, Engvall one of the few that is consistently playing with a sense of urgency.

Do we give Dobson the benefit of the doubt on the injury? He struggles with puck retrievals but, perhaps he couldn't get there in game 2. If so, does this go back to Houda? Who puts him out there?

Barzal hasn't scored since Easter. Maybe that is why they had Patty LaFontaine at the game.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
How do you get outgoaltended when that is the backbone and identity if your team?
Because anybody who has been watching all season knows Sorokin is an overrated bum and has been going back to last seasons playoffs. And then he goes and cries sitting in the tunnel sulking after being pulled, probably too humiliated by his play to show his face on the bench and sit with his teammates. He should offer the team to redo his extension for half the price after this season given his poor play.

Reijo29

Feb 8, 2015
If they ever called that a goal it would have been called a penalty he was pushed in the net.

Reijo29

Feb 8, 2015
With all due respect, he’s not wrong… they missed pretty blatant calls right in front of their face there in the third

Not that thats why they lost, not by any stretch, but he’s not wrong
They lose every game, when is it the players? First it was Lambert, then it’s the refs, when is it the other team is better?

Reactions: Throttle

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
How do you get outgoaltended when that is the backbone and identity if your team?

Yep, I mean it is rough when you're supposed key strength isn't a key strength.

And to his credit, Andersen has been the better man in all three outings.

I thought they would be able to exploit the loss of Pesce. Didn't do it in game 2 and didn't in this one either. The Pesce-Skjei pairing does some heavy lifting and yet the Canes were still able to manage chances fairly well.

Funny but for all the negatives, Engvall one of the few that is consistently playing with a sense of urgency.

Do we give Dobson the benefit of the doubt on the injury? He struggles with puck retrievals but, perhaps he couldn't get there in game 2. If so, does this go back to Houda? Who puts him out there?

Barzal hasn't scored since Easter. Maybe that is why they had Patty LaFontaine at the game.

Intesting point, but duly noted.

No Pesce? No problem!

As written, I mean, we did quite well over the final 30 minutes of the game.

But that didn't turn into the only thing measurable at this time of the season, namely victory.

That said, I mean you need a Barzal putting up 3 points per game to beat a team like Carolina. He may not even have 3 points in the series.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Because anybody who has been watching all season knows Sorokin is an overrated bum and has been going back to last seasons playoffs. And then he goes and cries sitting in the tunnel sulking after being pulled, probably too humiliated by his play to show his face on the bench and sit with his teammates. He should offer the team to redo his extension for half the price after this season given his poor play.

This whole post is rich. The guys on the ice are hockey playing robots.

You do know you can be mad at him and also feel bad for him at the same time, right?

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Canes have played better but it's a bit unfortunate to be down 3-0 here. Isles lost 3 one goal games (minus empty netters). It really was a nice effort last night. Game 1 too. Wish they could've gotten one of those games. Need a bit more scoring depth in the bottom 6 in games like those.

I doubt they blow the whole thing up in the offseason. Most of here would agree that it's no fluke the Isles are in the playoffs and it's no fluke that Isles were one of the last teams in the playoffs. Probably about the 15th best team in the NHL?

There's nothing they can do to get into the top 5, they aren't going to be able to acquire that type of top end talent. But, a good offseason and good scouting can make a real upgrade to the bottom d-pair and the bottom 6. I'd consider it a success to get NYI into being a top 10-12 team in the league. Not a title favorite, but good above average team capable of making a run.

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
This whole post is rich. The guys on the ice are hockey playing robots.

You do know you can be mad at him and also feel bad for him at the same time, right?
We are supposed to feel bad for a multi-millionaire who is being paid to be one of the best at his position in the world and has let down his team and the fans time and time again for the past year? Why so? He should feel bad for the fans who spent $200+ yesterday to watch him play like a beer league goalie.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Not yet. Holy…um…Throttle

It’s been a year. A goalie doesn’t just lose ability. Another mediocre season; sure, we can start those discussions.

Tonight. Wrong decision putting Ilya in, with that said, Varly was looking sluggish last game. The deployment is on Roy.

Ilya will bounce back next year.
Ilya didn’t look too hot last year vs the Canes last playoff. He went from Vezina guy to mediocre guy quickly.

All I have mentioned is that there’s something wrong there with him. That’s pretty obvious at this point, I just called it out a lot earlier in time and it’s played itself out.

Isles fans are very sensitive to dissenting opinions of certain players, yet it’s ok to lambast a ton of others. That’s pretty clear. Funny part is two of those guys Lee and Engvall are playing pretty well, the ‘protected’ ones, yeah, not so much and 0-3 away we go.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
We are supposed to feel bad for a multi-millionaire who is being paid to be one of the best at his position in the world and has let down his team and the fans time and time again for the past year? Why so? He should feel bad for the fans who spent $200+ yesterday to watch him play like a beer league goalie.

Yes, because he's just a f***ing guy that happens to be good at hockey. And we root for Islanders on and off the ice.

Don't you think he knows he let everyone down? Pretty evident by his body language in the tunnel.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
More like, stood on his rump. That's how Andersen gloved 3 sure goals away from the Isles in this series. He's getting the job done, Islanders goaltenders are not.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Goaltending AND defense are the identity. The defense was poor this year and it didn't support the goaltending.

Honest question for everyone here. How many of you in October looked at how we stacked up against the rest of the league and thought "we'll just have Sorokin save our butts all season long?" I seem to remember that as the prevailing thought going into this season.

The biggest disappointment is we found out Sorokin doesn't wear an S on his chest.

Reactions: Ishkabible

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Goaltending AND defense are the identity. The defense was poor this year and it didn't support the goaltending.

Honest question for everyone here. How many of you in October looked at how we stacked up against the rest of the league and thought "we'll just have Sorokin save our butts all season long?" I seem to remember that as the prevailing thought going into this season.

The biggest disappointment is we found out Sorokin doesn't wear an S on his chest.
Or more that he can, but we can't pull our eggs in that basket for 2 seasons straight.

Reactions: MJF

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Even if it went it, most likely would have been called back for goalie interference. Lee was in front and his and Anderson's skates made contact causing Anderson to trip which would have then caused the goal. Knowing our luck, it would have not counted either way.
I don't think that would have been bad luck - it would have been the correct call. Lee's path through the crease created contact with Andersen's skate in the crease, and that contact easily could have hindered Andersen from making the save. A legal boxout in front of Lee is not the same as a defender pushing him into the goalie, Lee moved there. The first replay I saw could tell it was a risk-free save. It would never have counted.

Reactions: Volek25

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
More like, stood on his rump. That's how Andersen gloved 3 sure goals away from the Isles in this series. He's getting the job done, Islanders goaltenders are not.

Andersen is the most hot/cold goalie in the league right now behind Oettinger in my mind. He literally can get bombed one night and look like Roy the next.

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad