OT: Cole & Honour's House of Fashion: Please take your loafers off at the door

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, that's a tip my friend's Mexican born-mom gave me. :laugh: Saved my ass a few times when I cut up habaneros.

That's exactly what really punished me, I think... the habaneros. Though the cajun belles this year were hot as hell for some reason.

Good salsa, though. It could probably strip paint so it's obviously just about the right heat.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah I'm glad I took up the whole garden/canning thing a few years back. It's like... borderline therapeutic. I mean... in between the horrible case of poison ivy from putting the garden in and the lava hands from cutting peppers. But I mean... it's all part and parcel, I guess.

I feel like I have too many hobbies sometimes when I start to feel overwhelmed but then realize that I wouldn't have it any other way. Which is weird because at my core I'm kinda lazy. lol

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
One of the things I really miss is gardening, weirdly enough. I and my siblings hated it when we were growing up, especially in the summer, but now we do it voluntarily. :laugh:

One of my key goals in the next few years is to buy a little cottage in the countryside here where I can have some fruit trees and keep a garden. I've seen 1-2 acre plots with cottages go for as low as 10k USD here, so it's not some unobtainable thing, unlike owning a flat in Prague city center.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Owning a cottage with a small orchard in the Czech countryside sounds awfully appealing. And also like part of the plot from a movie.

We hated gardening growing up, too. My parents always put in a garden and we had to help. It's strange what time and space and not being obligated will do.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Owning a cottage with a small orchard in the Czech countryside sounds awfully appealing. And also like part of the plot from a movie.

We hated gardening growing up, too. My parents always put in a garden and we had to help. It's strange what time and space and not being obligated will do.

I'd honestly rather buy in Slovakia because it's my ancestral home and the countryside out there is insanely pretty, but the travel time and lack of rural infrastructure (public trans, hospitals, electricity) out there make it a bit daunting if you don't own a car and aren't like a survivalist. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'd honestly rather buy in Slovakia because it's my ancestral home and the countryside out there is insanely pretty, but the travel time and lack of rural infrastructure (public trans, hospitals, electricity) out there make it a bit daunting if you don't own a car and aren't like a survivalist. :laugh:

Honestly where I live now isn't TOO much different hahaha

I've heard Slovakia is like... one of prettiest parts of the entire world.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've started looking at apartments in San Diego, and dear lord everything is so expensive :laugh:

I'm paying $1350 for my apartment in Squirrel Hill right now, but that's with a garage. I can only find like 4 apartment complexes within a 30 mile radius in a decent area of San Diego for that price. There are a couple of decent ones, some caught my eye in Lakeside, Santee and Mira Mesa, but man everything is so expensive.

I was also confused for why mobile/manufactured homes looked like such a good deal and figured there was a catch. I found it after doing more research: lot rent.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Oh I generally make it a point not to, these days.

I mean even given the pandemic, Slovak cities are... interesting? I go to Bratislava for research quite a bit and even for being the capital, it feels like a nightmarish small city ripped from a Balkan war zone and dropped into Central Europe. Lots of crumbling masonry and plaster, horrible architecture, depressing sights. And Košice's even worse. :laugh:

But to be fair to Bratislava, it went through a lot since the beginning of WWII.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I've started looking at apartments in San Diego, and dear lord everything is so expensive :laugh:

I'm paying $1350 for my apartment in Squirrel Hill right now, but that's with a garage. I can only find like 4 apartment complexes within a 30 mile radius in a decent area of San Diego for that price. There are a couple of decent ones, some caught my eye in Lakeside, Santee and Mira Mesa, but man everything is so expensive.

I was also confused for why mobile/manufactured homes looked like such a good deal and figured there was a catch. I found it after doing more research: lot rent.

Moving across the country in the middle of a pandemic? Bold move cotton

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Moving across the country in the middle of a pandemic? Bold move cotton

I would be trying to move in mid-2021. I thought a lot of the positions I was looking at required a DoD clearance, which has taken about a 6-12 months in my experience with a DoE clearance. I have a lease here until next August and I'm going to be absolutely slaughtered with tuition reimbursement penalties (as in like $32k) if I leave before then, so I was hoping to get the offer in like December or January and be able to start in August of next year. We'll see if that timeframe actually works, though.

I'd use the pandemic as an excuse for why I wouldn't be able to start until later, I'm just not sure that they'd give me that long of a window. My current company would let me do that, since they basically gave me free choice to start on any Monday that I wanted, but I'm not sure if all companies work like that.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I would be trying to move in mid-2021. I thought a lot of the positions I was looking at required a DoD clearance, which has taken about a 6-12 months in my experience with a DoE clearance. I have a lease here until next August and I'm going to be absolutely slaughtered with tuition reimbursement penalties (as in like $32k) if I leave before then, so I was hoping to get the offer in like December or January and be able to start in August of next year. We'll see if that timeframe actually works, though.

Nice, good luck man. San Diego seems incredible. I’ve looked at some jobs in Cali, but that’s just too far away for me and the housing prices are insane.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Nice, good luck man. San Diego seems incredible. I’ve looked at some jobs in Cali, but that’s just too far away for me and the housing prices are insane.

Empoleon will be fine, nothing of the real world is of consequence to him.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's my fault my parents didn't leave me Apple stock when they died, I know. :(

It's really simple to buy a house in the Hamptons, Chi. You just have to have your dad pay for your ivy league education so you don't have student loans, use your uncle's connections at Boeing to land a paid internship, get your family to help you take out a loan at ridiculous rates and then pay it off in a few years with your new Boeing paycheck!

Are you even TRYING, Chitown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad