Player Discussion Cole Caufield: The little man with the big future.

How many goals will Caufield score in 22-23?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
And we’ve seen the best way to do that is to draft high over an extended period of time. It doesn’t make sense to trade those picks away.

I’ll ask you again, would you do it? I wouldn’t.

Contenders can move contracts around. We’ve seen it time and again. If a team needs space they can find it.

No. I’d much rather make the move as a contender than a bottom feeder. Worst case you have to move some contracts around. But the bottom feeder loses top picks. No way I’d give that up.

I think the most likely would be a team that’s close to contending and thinks CC could put them over. Florida is a good example. Carolina’s already done it once…
I’d happily let a bottom feeder take Caufield for their next four 1st rounders. I already answered the question. I said before, I wouldn’t want a player who doesn’t want to be here. Also opens the OS option to Habs as retaliation to screw that team over and further mess up their cap to make them less competitive or steal a top end prospect back.

And sure a contender could
Move salary but is Caufield a proven entity worth moving another top end player, giving up flor 1st AND paying $9M+ for the pleasure? I certainly wouldn’t think so.

I think it’s far more likely a shitty team who’s been rebuilding and already have a bunch of top end prospects makes that deal. Unlike a contending team, they’d already have the assets, the cap and a young team who could use a young player like prospect. Again, that makes much more sense then the former.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I’d happily let a bottom feeder take Caufield for their next four 1st rounders. I already answered the question. I said before, I wouldn’t want a player who doesn’t want to be here. Also opens the OS option to Habs as retaliation to screw that team over and further mess up their cap to make them less competitive or steal a top end prospect back.
That wasn’t my question. My question was whether or not you do this as a bottom feeder. I don’t think you would, esp considering you just said you’d happily take the picks. Right?

And if that’s the case why would you expect any bottomfeedimg team to do this?
And sure a contender could
Move salary but is Caufield a proven entity worth moving another top end player, giving up flor 1st AND paying $9M+ for the pleasure? I certainly wouldn’t think so.
Yeah, he is. He’s been a phenom in junior and is producing already at a young age. He’s the kind of guy who could put you over the top and you’d have his whole prime.
I think it’s far more likely a shitty team who’s been rebuilding and already have a bunch of top end prospects makes that deal. Unlike a contending team, they’d already have the assets, the cap and a young team who could use a young player like prospect. Again, that makes much more sense than the former.
So you’d happily take top picks for him. But at the same time you think a bottom feeder would be more likely to make an offer? I don’t think you’re looking at things from their perspective.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
That wasn’t my question. My question was whether or not you do this as a bottom feeder. I don’t think you would, esp considering you just said you’d happily take the picks. Right?

And if that’s the case why would you expect any bottomfeedimg team to do this?

Yeah, he is. He’s been a phenom in junior and is producing already at a young age. He’s the kind of guy who could put you over the top and you’d have his whole prime.

So you’d happily take top picks for him. But at the same time you think a bottom feeder would be more likely to make an offer? I don’t think you’re looking at things from their perspective.
Honestly, are you even reading my posts? You keep asking the question that I’ve answered multiple times. I THINK A BOTTOM FEEDER IS MORE LIKELY THAN A CONTENDER TO OS CAUFIELD. I think you like being argumentative just because. This is the PK vs Weber all over again and you’re just as stubborn and just as wrong.

You’re entitled to your opinion but that doesn’t make them facts just because of your blind belief in them.

I’m bored with this circular conversation. Byeeeeeeeeee.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Honestly, are you even reading my posts? You keep asking the question that I’ve answered multiple times. I THINK A BOTTOM FEEDER IS MORE LIKELY THAN A CONTENDER TO OS CAUFIELD. I think you like being argumentative just because. This is the PK vs Weber all over again and you’re just as stubborn and just as wrong.

You’re entitled to your opinion but that doesn’t make them facts just because of your blind belief in them.

I’m bored with this circular conversation. Byeeeeeeeeee.
Im not presenting anything as fact. I’m asking you to explain your reasoning.

How on the one hand do you think it’s a no brainer to take top picks while on the other think it’s more likely that top picks would be offered?

If it’s a no brainer to take them, why on God’s Earth would a bottom feeder team offer them up?

Your position doesn’t make any sense.

Last edited:

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I’d like that too.

But caufield would get more on the open market. He knows it. His agent knows it.

It’s not what you and I want that matters, it’s what he’s going to push for.

I think Stuzle is a more valuable player (center, more production, bigger) and he’s around $8.3M, signed last year (and didn’t miss games due to injuries).

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Don’t see any bottom teams making a play on Caufield, especially at a price that is worth not matching.

Carolina, Buffalo, Columbus and Detroit are probably teams that could make an offer without giving away picks that would be at the bottom. They all have a lot of space, but they also have decisions to take.

Reactions: Andrewcoursol

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I think Caufield will get a Nylander type deal. Nylander got 10M the first year.

It's only 10M on paper, since he signed in December or something like that, he only got paid for ±110 days of work

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
It really is amazing
Just because of that idiot Bergevin and that idiot franchise firing back,
All of a sudden everyone thinks Hostile offer sheers pop up 3 times an offseason..

I understand it's an everpresent "looming threat" possibility,
But let's not act like they are always imminent lol

It doesn’t always happen, but the threat is always around. As time goes on and the difference between winning and losing is slim, teams will do anything for that competitive edge.

Yes it’s rare, and probably still taboo around the league. Some offers do happen, but they rarely are signed so we never hear about them. And with a flat cap, some teams might look at what Carolina did with KK as good way to get a player with a certain ceiling without paying much.

It probably won’t happen in the case of Caufield, but if does many will ask why Hughes didn’t expect this possibility. I believe he needs to be ready if that situation ever happens. It’s a variable that you need to consider.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
The quickest way to make Bedard a Hab would be if Chicago OS Caufield.

Do you mean by that that the Habs would get the Hawks 1st in '23? Because if CHI does Offer Sheet Cole the 1st pick would actually be in '24. So no Bedard.

I've been seeing in a few different places on Franco sites that Brisson is awaiting an OS, possibly from PHI. However my expectation if CC gets OS'd is by Carolina. They have a great team but need more goals, poaching Caufield for a couple of late 1st round picks would be smart on their part.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Do you mean by that that the Habs would get the Hawks 1st in '23? Because if CHI does Offer Sheet Cole the 1st pick would actually be in '24. So no Bedard.

I've been seeing in a few different places on Franco sites that Brisson is awaiting an OS, possibly from PHI. However my expectation if CC gets OS'd is by Carolina. They have a great team but need more goals, poaching Caufield for a couple of late 1st round picks would be smart on their part.
I don't mean that by OSing CC Habs would get Hawks 2023 pick. That would be silly. They would get their 1st in 2024-2028 and if you think Hawks will be a playoff team next year or even the year after, I have a bridge to sell.

I also don't think CC is waiting for an OS either. There are plenty of RFA's coming off their ELC with no extensions yet. Zegras among others falls into this category. I think Brisson is trying to set a new bar for players coming off their ELC's after the bar was set in the past couple of years. It only takes one desperate or dumb GM to bite at a bad contract offer and now you have a new precident. So it's a waiting game at this point so we'll have to wait and see how it develops.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Definitely not worried about Caufield.

The kid has seen what it is like playing in a a tough situation with a shitty coach like Ducharme where he had 1 goal in 30 games. He has also seen the complete opposite, where he's played with a coach who lets him play to his strengths and has put up 48 goals in 83 games as a result.

If we were in the Ducharme/Bergevin days then I'd be skeptical about him wanting to be here, but I think he knows he is in a great situation where he has a coach who wants to maximize his offensive talents.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It really is amazing
All of a sudden everyone thinks Hostile offer sheers pop up 3 times an offseason..

I don’t think it’s imminent.

But… I’d sure like to have him signed before teams can make offers.

Reactions: BLONG7 and Redux91

JohnTheBaptist

We are brothers/sisters and of the Divine Source
Nov 13, 2022
It really is amazing

Exactly. Not happening. And if it does Cole ain't gonna sign it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad