Player Discussion Cole Caufield: The little man with the big future.

How many goals will Caufield score in 22-23?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
an ignorant anglo.
Who would know? No idea what the last line means.
BountifulFlawlessHarborporpoise-size_restricted.gif

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We'll see if this happens but it's what I said. CC shouldn't make more than Suzuki.

Caufield *should* make whatever the market dictates he should. Nick Suzuki contract isn't what drives the salary cap, league revenues do.

If Caufield is so amenable to accept a deal less than Suzuki, then more power to him.

But it shouldn't be the expectation and if that's really what the team is pushing for, then this might go on longer than it really should.

CC on a 7-8 year deal at less than 8M would be a great, great deal.
For the Montreal Canadiens.

For Caufield...not so much. (relatively speaking)

Reactions: GrandBison

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
The Boldy contract is a good comparable for Caufield's contract (though I expect Caufield to get a bit more).

Caufield and Boldy had similar PPG last year, during their careers Boldy has been slightly more productive however Caufield's stats were impacted from his time under Ducharme.

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Are they really have in mind not one players will make more than Suzuki ? For Gods sake, hes signed for a long time and soon the Mcd Matthews etc will make 15 millions lmao, so i guess Molson must be happy to not have Bedard then, i swear sometimes this teams...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Caufield *should* make whatever the market dictates he should. Nick Suzuki contract isn't what drives the salary cap, league revenues do.

If Caufield is so amenable to accept a deal less than Suzuki, then more power to him.

But it shouldn't be the expectation and if that's really what the team is pushing for, then this might go on longer than it really should.

Yeah and you aren't the GM who decides. Suzuki is the better more complete player in the eyes of management and will get paid more.

Reactions: Fandangle

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah and you aren't the GM who decides.
Thanks for the irrelevant commentary. I suppose we shouldn't ever comment on the draft or trades or signings because well, we’re not the GM and we won't decide (rolls eyes).

But to be clear, it's not only the GM who decides, the player and his agent also have a role to play here.
Suzuki is the better more complete player in the eyes of management and will get paid more.
Once again, that's all well and good...but that's not quite how the market works.

Brady Tkachuk is a more complete player than Tim Stutzle....Tkachuk cap hit is 8.2M and Stutzle is 8.3M.

Adam Henrique is a more complete player than Trevor Zegras...using your logic I suppose Zegras shouldn't expect more than the 5.8M Henrique makes?

Contract negotiations are much more nuanced then you're making it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoelWarlord

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Yeah and you aren't the GM who decides. Suzuki is the better more complete player in the eyes of management and will get paid more.

What he meant is Suzuki doesn't set the market. League revenues does (Since the PA is entitled to his slice of the revenue which come back to them in the form of cap dollar).

That said, CC getting something similar to Suzuki is mostly based on future performances, instead of what CC already accomplished, so no one can say the Habs are negotiating in bad faith here.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I'm not entirely sure about that. Caufield could certainly push for more money or adopt a strategy for more money long term, but he's also an undersized winger that hasn't fully established himself yet who just missed half a season due to injury. A guaranteed 50+ million dollars, especially one which is bonus-heavy and could be pretty tax-efficient if well structured, is something I would consider if I were him.

There should be more to these kinds of contracts than the total dollar amount and AAV. And creative front offices with the means Montreal has should be pushing for deals that are as mutually beneficial as possible.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm not entirely sure about that. Caufield could certainly push for more money or adopt a strategy for more money long term, but he's also an undersized winger that hasn't fully established himself yet who just missed half a season due to injury. A guaranteed 50+ million dollars, especially one which is bonus-heavy and could be pretty tax-efficient if well structured, is something I would consider if I were him.

There should be more to these kinds of contracts than the total dollar amount and AAV. And creative front offices with the means Montreal has should be pushing for deals that are as mutually beneficial as possible.
I'm not arguing whether or not he should make more than Suzuki, that's another debate, what I'm arguing is he shouldn't be expected to be limited to some arbitrary internal salary cap based on a salary given to a player 2 years ago m, under an entirely different financial landscape then the one we’re in today, and more importantly, heading over the length of his pending contract.

Otherwise I don't necessarily disagree with your reservations/concerns.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoelWarlord

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
We'll see if this happens but it's what I said. CC shouldn't make more than Suzuki.

I know it might be totally horse shit by Tony

But if true, you just knew that Suzuki contract was going to be such a boon for us in these caufield nego's

If we get Cole at 7x 7.8 , we're gonna be backflipping all summer boys, my god

MeanMugging91

Jan 6, 2016
He does seem to have some inside info every once in a while. Or at least he seems to think so. Hope he's right! That would be awesome news. If we can get our core to get on board taking reasonable contracts we may actually be able to build something real nice!

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Hughes wants to see him take a few slappers before forking over 60 million dollars no take back lol

Take it Cole; and since you’ll have 400+ goals by then and it’ll be 2032 sign 5x20.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
This was the setup in Boston when Hughes negotiated Bergeron’s salary and Marchand refused to take a $1 more than him.

Wondering what’s the holdup now that someone has released salary and expected term? Announcement should come soon I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad