Player Discussion Cole Caufield: The little man with the big future.

How many goals will Caufield score in 22-23?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Great news if true. Does he have this kind of access?
No, he’s been saying all kind of things about Caufield for months lol first he supposedly had infos about the habs announcing Cole’s contract the last game of the season. He ‘’heard’’ Brisson and Hughes were exchanging calls non-stop (lol) so his contract was coming, etc, etc.

Let’s hope it’s true this time though. Would be a big win for the habs.

Last edited:

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I think between 7-8 is reasonable on both side. Would make sense they were already close to a deal before he decided to get his surgery. We know what he could do bring right now, but he still have to produce over a complete season...

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Andrewcoursol

May 13, 2018
ontario
I’m saying a bottom feeder would be crazy to do it. Hence it’s highly unlikely to happen.

Could it happen? Sure. There could be a team crazy enough to try it. But it would be a mistake.

I can only follow the rule of common sense. If you’re a bottom feeder, would you do it? Does it make sense from that standpoint? I don’t think you would… So no, I don’t see it happening.

I can see a contender wanna-be doing it. Adding a young sniper for that kind of club makes sense. A contender? Sure. Bottom feeder? Why?
would love to see dumbass in pittsburgh give up 4 first rounders for caufield

Andrewcoursol

May 13, 2018
ontario
During Crosby and Malkin's ages 37-38-39-40 seasons too eh..

Hmmmmmmm lol
But no!
pens missed the playoffs this year and that team is not suddenly going to get better. pens will soon be a lottery team, maybe ownership believes that getting caufield gives crosby and malkin some hope that they can win once more before reality kicks in and the rebuild has to begin.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He does seem to have some inside info every once in a while. Or at least he seems to think so. Hope he's right! That would be awesome news. If we can get our core to get on board taking reasonable contracts we may actually be able to build something real nice!
You don't have to be an insider to reveal what Tony revealed.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Wouldn't 8x8 instead of 7x7.8 be kind of a wash tho and Tony would technically be in the right lol? (as would most of us)
As long as I don't see any number 9's anywhere, I'll be a very happy man
I just think Tony is full of shit and is just speculating, I think everyone is expecting it to be between 7.5-8.5. If he ends up being right, I don't think it's because he got the inside scoop, it was merely a guess but the fact that he's presenting it like he's someone trustworthy is not right.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I just think Tony is full of shit and is just speculating, I think everyone is expecting it to be between 7.5-8.5. If he ends up being right, I don't think it's because he got the inside scoop, it was merely a guess but the fact that he's presenting it like he's someone trustworthy is not right.
He's too established to do guess-work and play it off as if he was informed of something. The language in that tweet is rather unambiguous. If CC's next contract strays too far from those terms he will have this thrown in his face. If he's willing to risk that, given his platform and reputation at this point (unearned, imo...) then we have to shrug and accept it until proven wrong or proven right.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
What he meant is Suzuki doesn't set the market. League revenues does (Since the PA is entitled to his slice of the revenue which come back to them in the form of cap dollar).

That said, CC getting something similar to Suzuki is mostly based on future performances, instead of what CC already accomplished, so no one can say the Habs are negotiating in bad faith here.
I know what he meant and understand what I mean. HuGo sets the market here in Montreal nobody else. Caufield is worth what we will pay him if that is a problem then we move him.

Thanks for the irrelevant commentary. I suppose we shouldn't ever comment on the draft or trades or signings because well, we’re not the GM and we won't decide (rolls eyes).

But to be clear, it's not only the GM who decides, the player and his agent also have a role to play here.

Once again, that's all well and good...but that's not quite how the market works.

Brady Tkachuk is a more complete player than Tim Stutzle....Tkachuk cap hit is 8.2M and Stutzle is 8.3M.

Adam Henrique is a more complete player than Trevor Zegras...using your logic I suppose Zegras shouldn't expect more than the 5.8M Henrique makes?

Contract negotiations are much more nuanced then you're making it.
The market works exactly like our management decides it works. One player will not dictate what HuGo deems best for our long term.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I know what he meant and understand what I mean. HuGo sets the market here in Montreal nobody else. Caufield is worth what we will pay him if that is a problem then we move him.

Not sure if we are in semantic loop or not but anyway... And it apply to more than just Caufield.

The GM doesn't set the market. He is free to draw a line in the sand to determine how much he is willing to pay for player X, Y or Z, but if that line is too far below market value this isn't going to work that well for him going forward and he know that as a former agent himself. GM/agent/player/PA/cap all have a role to play in that dance to determine "value".
And yeah, the GM could decide to trade away everyone and anyone who doesn't unilaterally bend to his will, but this team is going to be mess before long if we go down that path.

The salary cap is dynamic, so salaries are also dynamics. Maintaining a static position on salary isn't something you can do for a very long time (unless the cap become flat because of ... a pandemic), it just stop to make sense value wise because players ask for a % of the cap and not a static number, so someone will overshoot at some point by simple virtue of cap inflation.

Reactions: Hickflyer and 417

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I don't think that Marinaro would make up something like that, he's probably right.
I hate to say it but he was the FIRST person I EVER heard say "the habs might trade PK btw" and I'll never forget it because I thought he was completely off his ROCKER, I legitimately thought something was wrong with him mentally and then a month and a half later bam it happens and shatters my world lol

So I dont know man.. I know a lot of people absolutely despise him, I'm pretty lukewarm myself, but all that does not mean he's not plugged into this stuff in some form
It's his God damn livelihood for crissakes lol

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The market works exactly like our management decides it works. One player will not dictate what HuGo deems best for our long term.
Yeah not quite, otherwise the contract would be done already.

Clearly, you're just looking at this from the teams perspective, and that's fine, but he certainly has a case to ask for more whether we agree with that or not.

Not sure if we are in semantic loop or not but anyway... And it apply to more than just Caufield.

The GM doesn't set the market. He is free to draw a line in the sand to determine how much he is willing to pay for player X, Y or Z, but if that line is too far below market value this isn't going to work that well for him going forward and he know that as a former agent himself. GM/agent/player/PA/cap all have a role to play in that dance to determine "value".
And yeah, the GM could decide to trade away everyone and anyone who doesn't unilaterally bend to his will, but this team is going to be mess before long if we go down that path.

The salary cap is dynamic, so salaries are also dynamics. Maintaining a static position on salary isn't something you can do for a very long time (unless the cap become flat because of ... a pandemic), it just stop to make sense value wise because players ask for a % of the cap and not a static number, so someone will overshoot at some point by simple virtue of cap inflation.
This

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Marinaro has way too much credibility to make up something like that, he's probably runner up after Renaud Lavoie when it comes to the habs.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Drawing a line in the sand is our market. I haven't heard one report or rumor that has Caufield earning more than Suzuki but to the contrary everything indicates he will be paid less and obviously the percentage of cap will be less. Caufield could ask for more but he likely won't get it here. We are already dealing with overpaid assets and that is where the real mess can be found. When we sign a player who proves to be worth more to the team than Nick Suzuki we will obviously pay them more.

Reactions: Ozmodiar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad