Player Discussion Cole Caufield: The little man with the big future.

How many goals will Caufield score in 22-23?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'll be happy with a 30 goal season

We seem to get trapped into taking a certain snapshot, and extrapolating from that an expectation.

Caufield was so down under ducharme, and so up under st Louis. We still don't have a grasp of how consistent he will be over 82 games so it difficult to make a reasonable expectation.

In the big picture, a 30 goal season as a sophmore has to be considered a success, but somehow I feel like the expectation is even higher for the kid already.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
With the exception of injury issues the expectation should absolutely be higher than 30. I can promise you Cole Caufield will not feel pressured because some nerds on a hockey forum think he should score 40 goals next year.

Kid is the real deal and the coach both believes in him and will use him in the best situations to score goals. It's OK to be excited about a player instead of hedging emotionally so you won't' be disappointed.

Reactions: Toene and cphabs

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Based on what he's shown during his entire career both before the NHL and during, I'd say 40+. He'll be an utter weapon for Montreal for years to come.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
With the exception of injury issues the expectation should absolutely be higher than 30. I can promise you Cole Caufield will not feel pressured because some nerds on a hockey forum think he should score 40 goals next year.

Kid is the real deal and the coach both believes in him and will use him in the best situations to score goals. It's OK to be excited about a player instead of hedging emotionally so you won't' be disappointed.
Well I'm saying 30 just because I think that's realistic, not because i'm trying to hedge.

It's not easy to score 40 goals and circumstances have to be great to allow that to happen.

16 NHL players scored 40 goals or more last year, all but 1 of them (DeBrincat) were on teams that made the playoffs.

I think 40 goals is going to be attainable, and certainly the expectation from Caufield at some point in his career...but i'm not ready to say that quite yet.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
1656420506310.png
1656420525474.png
1656420538387.png

1656420624838.png
One down, two more to go!!

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
We seem to get trapped into taking a certain snapshot, and extrapolating from that an expectation.

Caufield was so down under ducharme, and so up under st Louis. We still don't have a grasp of how consistent he will be over 82 games so it difficult to make a reasonable expectation.

In the big picture, a 30 goal season as a sophmore has to be considered a success, but somehow I feel like the expectation is even higher for the kid already.

I get the holdback, still, it's how he scored those goals. The great majority of his goals were not easy goals and were almost all top titty, but most of all, I've seen him use goalie displacement so often, the kid is just a natural scorer and incredibly versatile when scoring. Wrist shot, slap shot, one-timer, tap-in, rebound from his own shot, goalie deked out, backhand shot up close, screen shot, through traffic, and mostly, very often making a cross-side shot to the goalie displacement and on top of that, doing it while skating in the opposite direction of his stance, which only great goalscorers know how to do often.

What I mean by this: so CC is a righty, when he skates from left to right carrying the puck, the goalie will displace himself in the same manner (right to left in his case), leaving the opposing corner open (the goalie's righthand side), CC's lefthand side. This is a kinda of goal I've often seen Brett Hull make. It's how I beat most goalies when I played, and won most shootouts in EA's NHL instead of trying intricate dipsy-doodles. It works more often than anything else. I learned it from watching Hull play.

Anyway, CC even does it going from right to left, opening his righthand corner. And he did it a few times. He's friggin masterful at scoring goals:

At 2:42, he uses the goalie displacement's opposing corner on a one-timer. That one might not have been intentional, but seeing the other ones, I think it might've been.

At 4:43, he displaces the goalie by going right to left and shoots the opposing opened corner (his right side).

At 6:25, again, only takes a second to displace goalie right to left and shoots in his right corner

At 7:37, this time he uses a very small displacement, right to left to open his righthand corner.

10:10 and 10:50, small displacements going right to left, shoots opposing corner

Thing is, he doesn't even need goalie displacement as he can also score top titty by using the inside corner instead. He mostly always beats the goalie cleanly and top shelf.

This is not Chucky getting lucky for a month or two and scoring most of his goals from the open slot. Or Higgins getting fed off the rush by Koivu and Markov. Nor Pac getting the same from Markov and Subban.

I'll be extremely surprised if he doesn't hit at least 35 next year.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I get the holdback, still, it's how he scored those goals. The great majority of his goals were not easy goals and were almost all top titty, but most of all, I've seen him use goalie displacement so often, the kid is just a natural scorer and incredibly versatile when scoring. Wrist shot, slap shot, one-timer, tap-in, rebound from his own shot, goalie deked out, backhand shot up close, screen shot, through traffic, and mostly, very often making a cross-side shot to the goalie displacement and on top of that, doing it while skating in the opposite direction of his stance, which only great goalscorers know how to do often.

What I mean by this: so CC is a righty, when he skates from left to right carrying the puck, the goalie will displace himself in the same manner (right to left in his case), leaving the opposing corner open (the goalie's righthand side), CC's lefthand side. This is a kinda of goal I've often seen Brett Hull make. It's how I beat most goalies when I played, and won most shootouts in EA's NHL instead of trying intricate dipsy-doodles. It works more often than anything else. I learned it from watching Hull play.

Anyway, CC even does it going from right to left, opening his righthand corner. And he did it a few times. He's friggin masterful at scoring goals:

At 2:42, he uses the goalie displacement's opposing corner on a one-timer. That one might not have been intentional, but seeing the other ones, I think it might've been.

At 4:43, he displaces the goalie by going right to left and shoots the opposing opened corner (his right side).

At 6:25, again, only takes a second to displace goalie right to left and shoots in his right corner

At 7:37, this time he uses a very small displacement, right to left to open his righthand corner.

10:10 and 10:50, small displacements going right to left, shoots opposing corner

Thing is, he doesn't even need goalie displacement as he can also score top titty by using the inside corner instead. He mostly always beats the goalie cleanly and top shelf.

This is not Chucky getting lucky for a month or two and scoring most of his goals from the open slot. Or Higgins getting fed off the rush by Koivu and Markov. Nor Pac getting the same from Markov and Subban.

I'll be extremely surprised if he doesn't hit at least 35 next year.

Stats watching gets a bad wrap. Sometimes, you really do just need to look at the numbers, and in Caufield's case it was just one number: the goals column. He's been so good at scoring goals going back as far as the Brick Invitational, that if he were to not be able to score at the NHL level, it would harm the predictiveness of goals lol. He would be a ''lever point'' if that means anything to you.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
He can score 30 in his sleep with MSL
That much is evident
Fully expect at LEAST 35 goals

40-50 goals is completely up to HIM

I still cant even believe of ALL people to get as coach we go get MSL
I always would of secretly wished Cole could ask leg day pointers from him somehow to get to the next level
Now as coach he's probably gonna STUFF quad exercises down Cole's throat lol
Couldnt be happier how this is working out right now

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Depends on usage and it appears MSL will play him with Suzuki and a loose structure again. So I say 30+.

Not sure if he can sustain that level of production with MSL as our coach for a full season but he he does, it's easily 30+.

1 goal every 2.75 games but has to play a full season and not get injured.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
He can score 30 in his sleep with MSL
That much is evident
Fully expect at LEAST 35 goals

40-50 goals is completely up to HIM

I always would of secretly wished Cole would ask leg day pointers from him somehowto get to the next level
If Cole gets gargantuan thighs like Marty, he'll be a superstar.

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
I always would of secretly wished Cole would ask leg day pointers from him somehowto get to the next level
1656529372890.png

MSL Legs 👆👆👆👆

:laugh:

Reactions: Sagikev and Redux91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad