Player Discussion Cole Caufield: The little man with the big future.

How many goals will Caufield score in 22-23?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I know it might be totally horse shit by Tony

But if true, you just knew that Suzuki contract was going to be such a boon for us in these caufield nego's

If we get Cole at 7x 7.8 , we're gonna be backflipping all summer boys, my god

Imo, Svechnikov & Jack Hughes contracts are good comparables for Caufield.

Svechnikov signed an 8 year, $7.75m contract two years ago. Hughes signed for 8 years, $8m last year.

He should come in between those 2 figures. Lower than Hughes / Stutzle. Similar to Svechnikov/Suzuki.

lillypad33

Sep 20, 2008
Kitchener
I think there is pretty good evidence to suggest that he'll be potting 30 goals per season for a while. This could turn out to be a steal of a contract.
If he is often injured and only putting in 20 then it could be a disaster.
I think it'll turn out well though. His ceiling is 50 goals I would think.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I think there is pretty good evidence to suggest that he'll be potting 30 goals per season for a while. This could turn out to be a steal of a contract.
If he is often injured and only putting in 20 then it could be a disaster.
I think it'll turn out well though. His ceiling is 50 goals I would think.

Why would we be worried about often injured? He's been inured once where he missed more than I think 2-3 games. Last year was he got covid and was stuck in some weird quarantine rules.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Great to see Cole committed to this franchise. If he stays healthy this will become a great deal. Hughes once again shows off his impressive skills.

Right up against the cap with this signing means KH will have to get creative quickly.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Great to see Cole committed to this franchise. If he stays healthy this will become a great deal. Hughes once again shows off his impressive skills.

Right up against the cap with this signing means KH will have to get creative quickly.

Up against the Cap including Price. We have 11.25 million in space with Price on LTIR

Reactions: Redux91

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think this will be a huge bargain for us. Him signing for that amount also reinforces the idea of Suzuki as the bar. Very good value.

Reactions: Redux91

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Well, some of us were definitely onto something in November :D
It's like I keep telling people
That amazing Suzuki contract is our secret weapon vs a potential astronomical contract for CC
CC HIMSELF knows Suzuki is the straw that stirs the drink, the best player
CC's agent has to contend with that bigtime

Itll probably end up being like 8.5M, and that's just fine too

As far as Caufield’s next contract goes I’m more concerned with the term than the AAV. I’m hoping Caufield is signed for the max length 8 year term. I don’t think he should get more than Suzuki and a 8 year $63 million contract seems fair, but if he gets a bit more whatever.

Having two impact players in Suzuki and Caufield as Habs for the foreseeable future is vital to the Habs success.
Nailed it
It comes down to the salary structure being set and players buying into the structure. Now that the bar has been set to 7.8M for Suzuki, Hughes should try and set that as somewhat of a glass ceiling.

I’m not saying that Cole shouldn’t or couldn’t get more than Suzuki did, but I think it’s important to try and keep it as close and team friendly as possible. I think the 8.5m you mentioned is fair and respectful to both parties. But I think we both agree if Caufield finishes the year more or less as he’s pacing now (45-50g and ~PPG) he could be realistically worth 9.5-10.5m based on what others have got.

How do you feel about Caufield making 2m more than Suzuki? Personally, I don’t like it.
You always really "got it" when it came to this one too
I wonder if they'll do a matching contract in terms of aav + remaining length of Suzuki as a compromise of sorts.

7 years at 7.85, it would allow Caufield another contract to he signed before the age of 30.
Pretty good estimation

Treal

Jul 6, 2007
I look forward to his meteoric rise for leafs fans where he’s going to be just as good as Cole one day
He looks like an early candidate for the Justin Pogge Memorial trophy which awards Maple Leafs prospects as being better than their approximate equivalent on the Canadiens without any merit or facts. Past Recipients include its namesake Justin Pogge, Nick Robertson, Jerry D'Amigo, Jeremy Bracco and Jonathan Bernier among many, many others. :sarcasm:

Reactions: CAUFIELD

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t think he was playing, though. I think he was there as moral support lol

But yeah, shoulder seems good

Lets just hope this is in the past and not a lingering injury. We need him to play 70+ games. The more he is a threat to score, the more the other team will focus on him and play him more physical. I'm sure he can overcome it but he's going to be targeted more as time moves forward. He does have the hockey IQ, skating, and talent around him to overcome it though. Talent surrounding him is a huge factor... that's how we get the best out of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad