Player Discussion Cole Caufield - Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Unless you are a sprinter (ie 100m, 200m) I think in most cases I would value quickness over long speed in pretty much every sport.

In this particular case, I think Cole’s quickness over his top-end speed serves him well. It would be great if he was both of course but I don’t think his lack of elite top-end or long speed serves as a major detriment to his game. That’s just my unprofessional/novice opinion though lol.

I agree with this. Quick acceleration, hockey sense and a willingness to be constantly on the move are far more important than top speed.

If Suzuki had some more explosiveness he'd be a sure fire star player. He might still get there due to his brains, but that's basically the only question mark about his game.

Reactions: NicRattlehead

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
So a couple of things.

I never said experience is NOT a factor.

Clearly experience is a big factor when you're talking about Shea Weber vs Alexander Romanov.

But it is not as much of a factor when you're talking about Jon Merrill vs Alexander Romanov.

I took issue with someone suggesting that experience was the driving factor as to why Merrill played over Romanov and how because Romanov is a rookie, he's going to be mistake-prone like Sandim/Dermott were against the Habs in the 1st round and that somehow, playing Merrill eliminates the fear of mistakes happening.

That's great and all...except I never argued this.

Of course...I totally get why Gustafsson and Merrill are playing and Romanov isn't.

If this was regular season, i'd probably have different thoughts, but right now...makes complete sense.

No doubt...that's also what i'm thinking.

Right now, Ducharme's job is to win games and to be prepared for all eventualities.

our typical PK D-unit is Weber/Chiarot...Petry/Edmunson.

With Petry banged up, Ducharme has to dress another Dman who he can rely on on the PK - correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think Romanov has played much PK at all this year.

Merrill has...

Same with Gustafsson being dressed for the PP.

Trust me...I get it.

I'm glad we can agree on the bolded. Seems like we're mostly on the same page here, but you kind of indicated otherwise in your earlier post :huh:

All players are mistake prone, mistakes happen all over the ice, all the time.

Doesn't matter if you're a 16 year veteran like Shea Weber or a fresh faced rookie like Alexander Romanov.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm glad we can agree on the bolded. Seems like we're mostly on the same page here, but you kind of indicated otherwise in your earlier post :huh:
I meant that more in a general sense that all players make mistakes, young or old.

Of course, you have to drill down to determine circumstances.

A player like Weber is going to play more difficult minutes and the chances for mistakes is higher, obviously.

But the original talking point I had was in reference to Romanov vs Merrill or Gustafson

Reactions: lamp9post

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Kind of funny to scroll back and read all those posts by people suggesting he needed to spend the rest of the season in the AHL and not play any games with the Habs in order to not ruin his development.

Lol good times
Guilty as charged. I thought the team was a tire fire and bringing Caufield was a desperation move that carried more risk than reward.

I was wrong. The kid is a gamer.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Kind of funny to scroll back and read all those posts by people suggesting he needed to spend the rest of the season in the AHL and not play any games with the Habs in order to not ruin his development.

Lol good times

It was pretty clear in those few Laval games how good he was. Not playing him on the Habs after how good that short stint with Laval was would've been asinine.

Reactions: Born in 1909

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
What I like about Caufield:
- Great skater/Elusive/Agile
- Great shot/ability to get his shot through
- Offensive Awareness!! He knows when to pass or shoot and adapt very easily to situations
- Hands and ability to retain possession when pressured or in tight space
- Defensive responsible (don't take useless risk)

What he needs to improve (he is only 20 years old)
- Get stronger and use his feet to get him out of larger/stronger opponents
- Use more the middle of the ice to help him exploit more his incredible shooting ability.

Overall he is a treat to watch. So much talent and he is just starting. I also like how his presence helped tremendiously improve our PP. You can feel his confidence with the puck on his stick.
- So hyped to see him continue developping (hopefully) with Suzuki.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
Yeah, watching that line-Toffoli & Suzuki are in deep fore-checking, & Caufield is the forward back with the defence in the neutral zone. And I am like, shouldn't the kid be in fore-checking & one of those guys back? But, I guess they trust him back there & he is quick enough to jump in if he sees a potential scoring opportunity.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Never seen such a good rookie up front for the Habs.

You can tell that whenever he's around the puck there's so much danger for the opposing team.
They already cheat on him and he just makes the pass. He knows damn right this will eventually open the shooting for him.

Teams wont know what the f*** to do and he's just gonna make them look silly.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
I am expecting Caufield to score or set up a big goal in game 3. He has done it in game 1 and 2. Hopefully, it will continue in game 3.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Most pleasant for me is how elusive he's been.

He's so smart with his positioning, doesn't get involved in physical contests he knows he won't win.
Yes, and he has a good sense when to go for it and when to just get in position in the NZ. Rare stuff for a rookie and even moreso for a guy who's defensive game is in doubt.

Reactions: lamp9post and 417

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He has potential to be #1 in redraft. Emphasis on potential. If he continues to play like this and contribute, good things will come. I've said it before, he is the most natural goal scorer behind Alex Ovechkin. Talent and skillset wise. Not proven, but this kid was born to shoot the puck in the net. It's insane.

the way I look at when posters talk about a re-draft is if I was MB and each one of the GMs from the teams of the players picked before him called and offered their guy for CC 1 for 1, would I do the deal. I would have a real hard time trading CC for any of them. Dach is one I would have to think hard about, I liked Zegras before the draft and like him even more now I would think about it but in the end I wouldn't do it. I haven't seen Seider but his SHL stats were very impressive, he's another one I would think hard about but with us having so many D prospects and so little at forward I wouldn't do it. I don't know Byram that well, wasn't impressed with him at the WJC's, but wouldn't do it as the thought of CC on the Avs would make me ill as he would kill it there playing for that offense.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I am expecting Caufield to score or set up a big goal in game 3. He has done it in game 1 and 2. Hopefully, it will continue in game 3.

Hopefully we actually get on the pp in game 3 - and leave that first unit out there for one and a half minutes.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
To hear people in february or march be like "man itll be great to have this kid for the playoffs possibly" was like LOL you guys are NUTS, ill believe it when I see it

I never in a million years thought he'd be playing for us this fast and 6 points in 11 playoff games? Cant even believe it.

The kid is a total GAMER man, round 3 and hes producing and not hurting the team and even doing the little things right? Still cant even believe it, he looks like he can handle the big moments already

In a redraft he goes top 5 EASILY. i think people would even take him over Kaako, not hughes and dach tho, not over zegras, byram debatable.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They already cheat on him and he just makes the pass. He knows damn right this will eventually open the shooting for him.

Teams wont know what the f*** to do and he's just gonna make them look silly.

Toffoli, Suzuki, Perry and Gus/Petry are all threats to score or set up a play, so cheating on Caufield will cost teams.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Definitely. Series saving primary assist in OT in game 5 vs Toronto. Series winning primary assist in OT in game 4 vs Winnipeg. Now 2 pts in 2 games in the semifinals. It doesn't get much more clutch than that!

I dont even want to think about where we'd be if this guy wasnt brought to the team and instead sent back to College for 1 more year...

I keep thinking of all those shots of him in the stands during the regular season AND the first 2 games of the playoffs and it was like...bewildering to just see him SITTING there knowing how much he could potentially help us and lo and behold HAS been helping tremendously to boot

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
To hear people in february or march be like "man itll be great to have this kid for the playoffs possibly" was like LOL you guys are NUTS, ill believe it when I see it

I never in a million years thought he'd be playing for us this fast and 6 points in 11 playoff games? Cant even believe it.

The kid is a total GAMER man, round 3 and hes producing and not hurting the team and even doing the little things right? Still cant even believe it, he looks like he can handle the big moments already

In a redraft he goes top 5 EASILY. i think people would even take him over Kaako, not hughes and dach tho, not over zegras, byram debatable.

I remember being MAD they called him up from AHL at all... thought they were rushing him and he may end up getting hurt and/or losing confidence, etc.

Boy was I wrong

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
the way I look at when posters talk about a re-draft is if I was MB and each one of the GMs from the teams of the players picked before him called and offered their guy for CC 1 for 1, would I do the deal. I would have a real hard time trading CC for any of them. Dach is one I would have to think hard about, I liked Zegras before the draft and like him even more now I would think about it but in the end I wouldn't do it. I haven't seen Seider but his SHL stats were very impressive, he's another one I would think hard about but with us having so many D prospects and so little at forward I wouldn't do it. I don't know Byram that well, wasn't impressed with him at the WJC's, but wouldn't do it as the thought of CC on the Avs would make me ill as he would kill it there playing for that offense.
I think Hughes, Seider and Zegras are the only players I’d take a gamble and trade Caufield for. That said, we have not had any shooter like Caufield on our team since Cammy and even then I feel Caufield has the better shot. So basically I don’t think he’s #1 in a redraft but I would take him over any of the others. That’s why getting a first over all pick in some drafts is actually counter productive. You’re forced to take the consensus first overall pick and can’t take any gambles like we did with Caufield.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Love that his brain is always so ahead of the play. Hopefully he always plays with a center that can read what he's up to maximize his potential.

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
Offensive abilities translate quickly from the juniors to the NHL. In a span of a year or two, offensive players bring you a good amount of what they possess, and of course they will continue to improve, but at a slower pace.

Caufield looks like the steal of his draft. KK will be a disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad