Player Discussion Cole Caufield - Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Do you find that Caufield has relatively missed his shots (fendre l'air) often, much more than other players ? Comment on dit 'fendre l'air' en anglais ?

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
He's a great offensive player. But man, his defensive zone positioning leaves to be desired. A lot.

He can cut passes because he has a high hockey IQ and is quick/agile on his feet. But as far as defensive assignments go... Let's just say his line can't get hemmed in their own zone too often.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Yes, he will have to be unorthodox, but he can't be a puff of smoke on the forecheck.

Last night that line didn't generate many clean entries and they just couldn't retrieve the puck after dump ins the whole night.

that's why i don't love the toffoli-suzuki-caufield line... they lack an element of physicality/puck retrieval. It may be a "live with it" situation given the playoffs and the relatively consistent offense that has come from them, but looking next year, i hope/think we'll seen Toffoli/Caufield split up (or the two of them playing with JKO and Anderson moving back to Suzuki's wing along with Drouin's replacement).

Reactions: Archijerej

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
that's why i don't love the toffoli-suzuki-caufield line... they lack an element of physicality/puck retrieval. It may be a "live with it" situation given the playoffs and the relatively consistent offense that has come from them, but looking next year, i hope/think we'll seen Toffoli/Caufield split up (or the two of them playing with JKO and Anderson moving back to Suzuki's wing along with Drouin's replacement).

That’s why I’m pushing for Saad. I think he’s a great veteran and physical LW that fits perfectly with Nick and Cole.

Reactions: Saxon

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
That’s why I’m pushing for Saad. I think he’s a great veteran and physical LW that fits perfectly with Nick and Cole.

could be, if the price is right... wouldn't want to add him if his focus is taking the highest bidder (unless it's a Hoffman type situation where we are the "highest bidder" late in the offseason). Something similar to Toffoli's deal could work, assuming Drouin is gone without us taking cap back.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Killorn wouldn't be too bad either.

I just wonder where does it leave Kotkaniemi. He's clearly not able to create any cycle play with Anderson. I'm not sure how Toffoli helps in that regard, especially since he's the guy you would ideally have lurking in the slot instead of grinding along the boards.

Last edited:

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
I love the kid but anybody even mentioning him and Messi in the same sentence is absurd. Messi is the best player of all time. I'm thrilled if Cole pans out as a top line winger.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Do you find that Caufield has relatively missed his shots (fendre l'air) often, much more than other players ? Comment on dit 'fendre l'air' en anglais ?

Not sure, I don't see it. If anything, he was shooting much more in his first few games and was whiffing on some of them but that comes with the territory of trying to shoot a lot.

MisterDodu

Jun 16, 2021

Yes, was thinking the same.

They probably could switch Caufield and Perry/Armia for a shift here and there to put some pressure on Vegas defence and to create some space for Toffoli/Suzuki. It would mix things up and keep everyone on their toes as Vegas seems to know how to handle that line (unless there’s a breakaway).

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I very much hope part of the off season plan is to find a good match for Suzuki and Caufield, idealy with a bigger left shooting player with enough skill to keep up. KK would fit the bill pretty well when you think about it, if he were to embrace the LW role and give it his best shot. I really think we could have something there. Guys like Saad and Kilhorn are obvious candidates as well, if we go the UFA route . Saad has the old blackhawks connection, Bergy was there when he was drafted.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Those who have seen him play at his prime will agree:

By far the best player ever on breakaway was:

Mario Lemieux

Unstoppable for a goaltender.
..Hasek, Roy name it ...Lemieux with his hands, moves, his long reach or..... his shot at the top right corner he was simply amazing

Caufield yesterday reminded me Lemieux with his perfect top right shot on Fleury...

Caufield is the real deal

Pavel Bure too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad