Player Discussion Cole Caufield - Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I honestly am shocked that not only he's dealing with the speed and physicality, but he's producing at a tremendous rate. The kid's brain and quickness seem to be next level from what I've seen. Very encouraging for the present and future.

Reactions: Sagikev and Gravity

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
XocIEwh.jpg

How high do you guys think he’d go in a re-draft today?

There is a considerable amount of talent on that list and while several of the drafted players may well turn out to have a more impactful career than Caufield (Zegras, Seider, Byram, etc.) I would suggest that of all of them, Caufield will prove to be the most natural scorer. And that is trait (talent) that is indeed a rare and most sought after commodity. But aside from all the talents that we are all coming to know and appreciate ( playmaking, vision, anticipation, release and quickness) the one thing that I find the most impressive is Caufield's compete level and the will to win. It was best exemplified in Game I when after he scored , the Knights came back and immediately scored, largely sealing Vegas' victory. For whatever reason the camera focused on Caufield's reaction. You could read in his eyes what he felt: defiance. His expression said everything you need to know about this special player and what he was thinking: yeah, you may have won this game, but it won't happen again, not if I can do anything about it. That attitude can't be taught or coached. It is the very fiber of a player. This kid will soon be a leader of this team. He has proven himself and dominated at every level he has ever played in. And it will soon happen at the NHL level. Maybe its already starting.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
There is a considerable amount of talent on that list and while several of the drafted players may well turn out to have a more impactful career than Caufield (Zegras, Seider, Byram, etc.) I would suggest that of all of them, Caufield will prove to be the most natural scorer. And that is trait (talent) that is indeed a rare and most sought after commodity. But aside from all the talents that we are all coming to know and appreciate ( playmaking, vision, anticipation, release and quickness) the one thing that I find the most impressive is Caufield's compete level and the will to win. It was best exemplified in Game I when after he scored , the Knights came back and immediately scored, largely sealing Vegas' victory. For whatever reason the camera focused on Caufield's reaction. You could read in his eyes what he felt: defiance. His expression said everything you need to know about this special player and what he was thinking: yeah, you may have won this game, but it won't happen again, not if I can do anything about it. That attitude can't be taught or coached. It is the very fiber of a player. This kid will soon be a leader of this team. He has proven himself and dominated at every level he has ever played in. And it will soon happen at the NHL level. Maybe its already starting.

I like everything i see of him. The energy level he brings to the table is contagious. The fact that even though he is not quite scoring goals at the pace he would probably wants, he is still very important for the team. He is a pretty strong passer and his two-way game isn't too shabby either. But the most important part i think is he is being able to play his game without being overpowered physically or bullied around the ice like everyone was afraid of.

Nice future for this kid. Very nice.

Reactions: Gravity

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I like everything i see of him. The energy level he brings to the table is contagious. The fact that even though he is not quite scoring goals at the pace he would probably wants, he is still very important for the team. He is a pretty strong passer and his two-way game isn't too shabby either. But the most important part i think is he is being able to play his game without being overpowered physically or bullied around the ice like everyone was afraid of.

Nice future for this kid. Very nice.

but muh WJC stats

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I honestly am shocked that not only he's dealing with the speed and physicality, but he's producing at a tremendous rate. The kid's brain and quickness seem to be next level from what I've seen. Very encouraging for the present and future.

Will be interesting how he does in regular season after a summer of training with NHL playoffs as his benchmark.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Will be interesting how he does in regular season after a summer of training with NHL playoffs as his benchmark.

It’s also great that he came in at the end of the season but he’s still getting 16+ playoff games of experience. NHL regular season gonna feel like easy mode compared to that.

Reactions: Sagikev and Saxon

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
Keep looking for posts saying he needs to learn the 200 ft game, but they seem to be missing.
Although people that watched him all year know that he is engaged at both ends. Love his vision. Thanks again Flyers!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'd say 6th

Hughes
Kakko
Dach
Byram
Seider

Then Cole, that could change but that's where I'd have them atm.

You'd take Byram, Kakko, or Hughes right now over Caufield if you had the choice, or could trade him for one of those players?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Byram Kakko and Hughes are insanely talented and it's way to early to call it on them.

I agree. It's more interesting to me to see how things play out over the next 5 to 10 years.

But the question is who do you take today? Would you trade Caufield for kakao, Hughes or Byram?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Keep looking for posts saying he needs to learn the 200 ft game, but they seem to be missing.
Although people that watched him all year know that he is engaged at both ends. Love his vision. Thanks again Flyers!
Those were legitimate concerns to have TBH, especially if you saw him with UW. His 5 vs 5 play has been way above even my most optimistic previsions.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I agree. It's more interesting to me to see how things play out over the next 5 to 10 years.

But the question is who do you take today? Would you trade Caufield for kakao, Hughes or Byram?

Those are different questions imo,

If I'm drafting I think I'd take the top end in virtually the same order at this time,

Hughes
Kakko
Dach
Seider
Byram/Caufield
Caufield/Byram

Hughes and Dach have to the potential to be true 1 C's Kakko's combi of size and skill again hard to pass on. I love Seider and think he'll be a 1D for a long time. Byram I'm more iffy on but still is outstanding and in a Vaccuum more valuable.

Byram at 5 or 6 in a redraft at this point is prbly the right spot.

The trading question is different cause I find this kid awesome and am kind of attached to him and his infectious attitude.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Such a mature and composed game from Caufield...shocking stuff for a rookie.

Apparently rookies JUST make mistakes. Caufield must not have gotten that memo.

cc @Habs Halifax

Not interested in this conversation with you. Boils down to you think experience don't matter and I think it does. All you are doing now is spinning and twisting.

Romanov not playing is not tied to Caufield. Experience on D matters more than wingers. You know this but now you are in a pissing contest and trying to save grace.

I'll end like how you started it. "Stop it" :laugh:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not interested in this conversation with you. Boils down to you think experience don't matter and I think it does. All you are doing now is spinning and twisting.
Nah actually...I've literally NEVER said this.

Romanov not playing is not tied to Caufield. Experience on D matters more than wingers. You know this but now you are in a pissing contest and trying to save grace.

I'll end like how you started it. "Stop it" :laugh:
But they're both rookies...

Does that rookie/inexperienced narrative get thrown out the window when it's forwards vs Dmen?

Ahhh...Ok...seems like solid logic.

P.S. not sure what grace I need to save...i'm not trying to be graceful.

Last edited:

NicRattlehead

Mar 5, 2021
Houston, TX
Cole is very quick but his top end speed is only average. He skates much like guys such as Recchi and Gallagher who have quick feet and have a good initial burst to create separation but the hunched over, inefficient stride takes over and they are not able to continue their acceleration for very long before they max out.
Unless you are a sprinter (ie 100m, 200m) I think in most cases I would value quickness over long speed in pretty much every sport.

In this particular case, I think Cole’s quickness over his top-end speed serves him well. It would be great if he was both of course but I don’t think his lack of elite top-end or long speed serves as a major detriment to his game. That’s just my unprofessional/novice opinion though lol.

Reactions: 417

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Never seen such a good rookie up front for the Habs.

You can tell that whenever he's around the puck there's so much danger for the opposing team.

Reactions: Gains
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad