Player Discussion Cole Caufield - Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
I think Hughes, Seider and Zegras are the only players I’d take a gamble and trade Caufield for. That said, we have not had any shooter like Caufield on our team since Cammy and even then I feel Caufield has the better shot. So basically I don’t think he’s #1 in a redraft but I would take him over any of the others. That’s why getting a first over all pick in some drafts is actually counter productive. You’re forced to take the consensus first overall pick and can’t take any gambles like we did with Caufield.

He wasn't a friggin gamble, he was 15. It was a gift. I was so happy to see him still there at 15.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Maybe in the past i'm hyped for young players who never pans out to being a star player... like Galchenyuk, Collberg, Drouin and more... but Suzuki and Caufield are pretty sure to be dominant players.

I really like Kotkaniemi tools... but i'm going to relax the hype with him. I'd still think he is not Galchenyuk or Eller. Better hockey IQ than both.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
He wasn't a friggin gamble, he was 15. It was a gift. I was so happy to see him still there at 15.

Gamble in the sense that speed and size were big question marks that people were citing for the reason that he was skipped on by 14 teams. We took him hoping he reaches his upside but there was still some concern about whether he can translate his game at the Pro level. Whereas, this past draft we took Guhle, a safe pick who I strongly feel will at least be a top 4D, at 16.

So I disagree with the notion that you can’t gamble at the 15th pick. Any pick can be a gamble, just that some can be more costly than others.

I think the message is "I'd take gamble to trade Caufield for Hughes, Zegras or Seider, but not the rest".
Yeah first use of gamble was that

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Gamble in the sense that speed and size were big question marks that people were citing for the reason that he was skipped on by 14 teams. We took him hoping he reaches his upside but there was still some concern about whether he can translate his game at the Pro level. Whereas, this past draft we took Guhle, a safe pick who I strongly feel will at least be a top 4D, at 16.

So I disagree with the notion that you can’t gamble at the 15th pick. Any pick can be a gamble, just that some can be more costly than others.

Ooops. I don't read all the message, my bad lol

Reactions: Doc5

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business

Ok, I replied before reading this..

I realize the reason he was skipped was in part due to size. The other was the question as to whether his production was a function of Hughes feeding him. Anybody that had watched him for the 2 years at the NTDP knew that wasn't the case. So, the only reason for him to fall was size. Even given the size issue, at 15 I don't think there's anyway a team could pass him up.

Anyway..... I see what you're saying.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I think Hughes, Seider and Zegras are the only players I’d take a gamble and trade Caufield for. That said, we have not had any shooter like Caufield on our team since Cammy and even then I feel Caufield has the better shot. So basically I don’t think he’s #1 in a redraft but I would take him over any of the others. That’s why getting a first over all pick in some drafts is actually counter productive. You’re forced to take the consensus first overall pick and can’t take any gambles like we did with Caufield.
Perhaps, but in some years, having the first overall pick can be transformational: Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid, etc. I’ll take the risk of such counter -productivity . Let us all hope that Montreal has to face the challenge of not drafting Bedard in 2023.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc5 and montreal

Clipitar

Aug 20, 2010
Anybody noticed that (maybe it's already posted in this thread)? It's a pretty amazing anecdote.. the whole article is also great for anyone following the NFL and knowing how big of a star JJ Watt is.

The brothers do everything together. That includes their decision in middle school to take French as a foreign language, when the rest of their friends had all signed up for Spanish.

Their reasoning?

"There was a coaching change in Montreal at the time, and it was a big deal that the coach of the Canadiens had to speak French," Brock recalled. "So we took French so we could become the coach of the Montreal Canadiens one day. It was kind of a joke, but pretty funny now. It's good because he knows a little bit of French."

How J.J. Watt became one of the biggest Cole Caufield superfans

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc
Been telling people he will be special since day 1, the eyes test is just too much with him. You don't even need to have a clue about hockey to understand he is just different. First time in my life that I can watch good offensive team and tell myself : they are good but they have no caufield. How f***ing great is that, right ?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

In some funny way that article actually kind of sums of the Habs under MB. CC sits in the stands for the first 2 games of the playoffs and a NFL player is telling the Habs he should be playing and once he does play he has been among our best players at times.

"I turned on the games and I was trying to find Cole l because I wanted to watch, and he wasn't in the first two lineups," Watt told ESPN. "And they were down at the time and I'm not saying that I'm like some sort of magic-eight-ball predictor, but they've been pretty good since. So it worked out well to put Cole in there."

so it's kind of funny that an NFLer saw what our management/coaching staff couldn't see. Of course there's more to it then that and Watt likely wouldn't care if the two weren't former Wisconsin badgers but still kind of funny. I was ok with them not wanting to rush him into things too quickly since we all know how badly it's backfired when they have rushed prospects to the NHL too quickly.

Reactions: Clipitar

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
In some funny way that article actually kind of sums of the Habs under MB. CC sits in the stands for the first 2 games of the playoffs and a NFL player is telling the Habs he should be playing and once he does play he has been among our best players at times.

so it's kind of funny that an NFLer saw what our management/coaching staff couldn't see. Of course there's more to it then that and Watt likely wouldn't care if the two weren't former Wisconsin badgers but still kind of funny. I was ok with them not wanting to rush him into things too quickly since we all know how badly it's backfired when they have rushed prospects to the NHL too quickly.

I would be interested to hear JJ Watt's take when he turns on the TV and sees that Romanov is not in the lineup :huh:

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think the message is "I'd take gamble to trade Caufield for Hughes, Zegras or Seider, but not the rest".

Wouldn't do it. Not with the way this kid has showed up. You never know which players are going to be playoff no shows and this kid ain't that so f*** trading him for anyone. He's on par at worst with all of them.

Reactions: CoupeStanley

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Hobbitfield

upload_2021-6-18_21-33-31.png

Reactions: tooji and Kojo

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I hate picking midgets and was ecstatic with the pick. The guy has a proven track record at every level.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
If you have good scouts and you know #3 is a big drop off, then you trade the pick and create assets elsewhere.
Personally, i dont mind KK at #3. While slow progression, he is coming in to his own and I predict a solid 60 point season next year.

Reactions: Saxon and Doc5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad