Player Discussion Cole Caufield - Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
A little harsh. It's a contact sport. So far, the team is benefitting from the beefy backline. No one is coming close to wiping out Price the way Kreider did a few years ago. Moreover, our beefy players have a lot of mobility for their size.
Not to be a contrarian, but hockey is a skating sport. If that wasn't so, then you could dress the Chicago Bears and you would never lose a game. All sports have a winning formula that usually allows victory: football it's quarterback play; baseball it's pitching and in water polo it's swimming. In hockey, success usually starts and finishes with goaltending and the comparative skating skills of the opposing teams. The former prevents you from losing and the latter provides you with an opportunity to win. In the Winnipeg series the two elite goalies largely cancelled themselves out. It then came down to the mobility differential between Montreal's forwards and the Jets' defence versus the gap between the Jets' forwards and Montreal's defence. Neither team was blessed with an overly mobile defence, but the gap between Montreal's forwards and the Jets' defence was marginally greater than the other way around. If you don't believe me, go to the Jets' board and read how their fans are collectively bemoaning their defence's comparative immobility. It was a deciding factor in this series.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Not to be a contrarian, but hockey is a skating sport. If that wasn't so, then you could dress the Chicago Bears and you would never lose a game. All sports have a winning formula that usually allows victory: football it's quarterback play; baseball it's pitching and in water polo it's swimming. In hockey, success usually starts and finishes with goaltending and the comparative skating skills of opposing teams. The former prevents you from losing and the latter provides you with an opportunity to win. In the Winnipeg series the two elite goalies largely cancelled themselves out. It then came down to the mobility differential between Montreal's forwards and the Jets' defence versus the gap between the Jets' forwards and Montreal's defence. Neither team was blessed with an overly mobile defence, but the gap between Montreal's forwards and the Jets' defence was marginally greater than the other way around. If you don't believe me, go to the Jets' board and read how their fans are collectively bemoaning their defence's comparative immobility. It was a deciding factor in this series.
Of course it's a skating sport. You simply have exaggerated the relative immobility of Habs defense. In general the strength of the point is inverse proportion to the length of the text.

Reactions: dralaf

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
The experience and confidence this kid is getting right now is unbelievable (the other young guys, too)

Obviously let’s focus on this run but next year, WOW I’M PUMPED #Calder2022
This can't be understated. I know people like to kind of shit on "experience" because it's an intangible that can't be measured, but going on a run like this with our young guys contributing can only be a good thing.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
The most impressive for me is his shiftyness. I was afraid that he would get eaten alive by the Jets big forwards but he rarely gets hit, he finds his way around players easily. You can see he is not used to rush his shot but that will come. 4 assists in 9 game with just few NHL games behind the belt. I will take this any time. Future is looking very nice.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The most impressive for me is his shiftyness. I was afraid that he would get eaten alive by the Jets big forwards but he rarely gets hit, he finds his way around players easily. You can see he is not used to rush his shot but that will come. 4 assists in 9 game with just few NHL games behind the belt. I will take this any time. Future is looking very nice.

I agree.

He's also faster than I thought he'd be. I thought he'd be more Suzuki speed wise from the reports.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Is this the best Habs rookie playoff performance since Subban in 2010?

tenor-7.gif

Reactions: dinodebino

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal
I'm just so impressed by his overall game. Last night, the OT goal starts with him stick-checking Ehlers as he attempts to leave the Jets' zone. Without that extra effort, the Jets leave their zone and Suzuki cannot work his magic on the boards. That's the sort of two-way play you don't expect from your 20 year-old rookie sniper, and it shows how great Caufield can be. I wouldn't mind seeing a Suzuki-Caufield penalty kill pairing down the line, I think Caufield could have a Byron-like effect on the kill.

The goals will come, as they have in the regular season, but the improvements to his two-way game have been the most impressive part of his game to me over his 19 NHL games so far. His active stick, quick transition decision-making and intense backchecking are very nice surprises that show that Caufield could become a much more complete player at this level than some might've expected.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
It's mind boggling that Cole Caufield was available at our 15th pick. He may be very small but he has proved he will be an impact player at every level he has played. I loves his enthusiasm for the game, his infectious smile. We are very lucky to have such a rare talent in our team.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Watching the pass again, you can see Hellybuyck committing to the shot- which opens up the cross crease pass. That’s when you get to that place of offensive synergy. Where your shot opens up passing lanes or your passes open up shooting opportunities- and the player is able to identify which is happening and exploit. Suzuki found it and now Caufields finding it.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Seriously if Kotkaniemi don't ends up a 1st line player, just reverse the year draft of both KK and Caufield. Caufield at #3 in 2018 and #15 Kotkaniemi, that would be amazing draft by Montreal Canadiens.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

koivu2k1

Oct 1, 2017
I'm prob bias, but he seems to be getting better every game, there is still that moment when he loses an edge and falls on his ass alone each game but almost everytime hes on the ice there is a scoring chance, at times I forget he's only 20. He needs to start using that one timer from the corner more on the PP

Reactions: Born in 1909

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Seriously if Kotkaniemi don't ends up a 1st line player, just reverse the year draft of both KK and Caufield. Caufield at #3 in 2018 and #15 Kotkaniemi, that would be amazing draft by Montreal Canadiens.
Yep

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Watching the pass again, you can see Hellybuyck committing to the shot- which opens up the cross crease pass. That’s when you get to that place of offensive synergy. Where your shot opens up passing lanes or your passes open up shooting opportunities- and the player is able to identify which is happening and exploit. Suzuki found it and now Caufields finding it.

You know Caufield can put it top shelf short side, and so did Hellybuck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad