Player Discussion Cole Caufield - Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
Who honestly expected this kid to be a great playmaker and produce his first NHL points mostly as assists.
In 9 playoff games so far he's got 4 assists & 0 goals.

I've enjoyed watching him play. It seems like he is gaining confidence out there and his chem with Suzuki and Tof is developing.

I'm very excited for this trio, JK, CC, Suzuki, and their near future with the team. All under 21 too.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
said many times he was our top prospect and when he got a lot of shit after both WJC's, kept saying he was the real deal, now those that doubted are starting to see what he will be. He still has work to do but f*** me is he ever going to be good. I've seen a lot of him since he was drafted and I've seen a shit ton of Hab prospects over the past 20+ years and I don't know if there's any that I'm more excited about then CC.

Last time I felt this way about a rookie was PK. And Markov before that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who honestly expected this kid to be a great playmaker and produce his first NHL points mostly as assists.
In 9 playoff games so far he's got 4 assists & 0 goals.

I've enjoyed watching him play. It seems like he is gaining confidence out there and his chem with Suzuki and Tof is developing.

I'm very excited for this trio, JK, CC, Suzuki, and their near future with the team. All under 21 too.

There was chatter on Caufield's vision and play making but it was on low radar cause his shot is so good. Kid has game and I love how he jumps on the chances. He's dangerous and his skating is much better than I expected. It's helping him create time and space and he's quickly learning how to play with men. It's impressive

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Only 4 assists, but they’ve all been huge it seems. Once he buries one they are going to start piling in.

I like how both Weber and Caufield are due. Anderson now too. When other players fail to score, other ones step up. It's a great hockey team story the way this team is winning games. It's not all Price. He's just the best piece but he can't score goals which was a problem in the past.

Reactions: Born in 1909

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
There was chatter on Caufield's vision and play making but it was on low radar cause his shot is so good. Kid has game and I love how he jumps on the chances. He's dangerous and his skating is much better than I expected. It's helping him create time and space and he's quickly learning how to play with men. It's impressive
His agility and acceleration are tremendous. He's like a Porsche Carrera in traffic.

Prendan Brust

Jul 31, 2003
Québec
I look at his puck skills, the way he handles himself on the ice generally and think about other US forwards his age and I can't help being impressed by the USNTDP's results. These kids are incredibly skilled. How will it translate to the NHL, I don't know, but it looks good!

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Some players are quick without being fast. Some are fast without being quick. Caufield is an example of the former and Anderson is an example of the latter.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
100%! He's smart cause he knows the style he has to play and being small like that is something he had to survive for many seasons now. I just love how he makes you pay for mistakes. Very direct with little hesitation
I use Porsche Carrera as a comparable, because when I bring up Lionel Messi, who dominates through superior agility, a bunch of posters go: "Woah! You can't compare a neophyte to one of the top soccer players in history."

Reactions: Habs Halifax

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Only 4 assists, but they’ve all been huge it seems. Once he buries one they are going to start piling in.

He could easily have 3-4 goals with some of the looks he’s had too, which makes it that much more impressive.

He’s been generating a lot of scoring chances, which is amazing considering he’s an undersized rookie in his first NHL games... in the playoffs.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
The real problem is when you have a lineup populated with players that have neither attribute.
A little harsh. It's a contact sport. So far, the team is benefitting from the beefy backline. No one is coming close to wiping out Price the way Kreider did a few years ago. Moreover, our beefy players have a lot of mobility for their size.

Reactions: dralaf and Walrus26

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
He could easily have 3-4 goals with some of the looks he’s had too, which makes it that much more impressive.

He’s been generating a lot of scoring chances, which is amazing considering he’s an undersized rookie in his first NHL games... in the playoffs.
What I find most impressive is Caufield's anticipation. He reads the play extremely well. A great example was on the winning goal last night. He saw the probabilities that the puck in the scrum along the boards may have worked its way to the fringe of the entanglement and he placed himself in position where he could take advantage if the puck did come loose. It did, and Caulfield cleverly chipped the puck to himself, stepped around the defender and made that skillful pass that ended the game and the series. A small, almost unnoticeable play, but it won the game. Most other players would have simply joined the melee and tried to push or kick the puck free to ... nobody. You can't teach that.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I like how both Weber and Caufield are due. Anderson now too. When other players fail to score, other ones step up. It's a great hockey team story the way this team is winning games. It's not all Price. He's just the best piece but he can't score goals which was a problem in the past.
Good point, we haven’t even hit our stride yet. Hopefully the guys you mentioned all are able to step up now that were 8 wins from a cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad