Player Discussion Cole Caufield - Part XI

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by Le Tricolore, May 13, 2021.

1. FMichael Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Yes...CC was born to be a Hab...

[​IMG]

Sagikev and tooji like this.
  2. yianik Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Well I just read an article impressed with how the Habs have handled Caufield in contrast to the Rags with Lafrenierre and Kakko.

Talks about how the Habs let Caufield stay at school, then go to AHL to see how he would do, albeit a short stint, and then to NHL. And at the NHL level he was put on a good line and played in important situations.

Rags meanwhile put in their kids right away into the NHL right away, and then the coach insisted they earn their time by playing a good 200 foot game. Author likes our approach.

This is funny because typically the criticism of the Rags is what is said about the Habs, because typically its true. Just shows you how dumb we usually are with the " make the young one earn his ice time on the 4th line to round out his game" garbage

3. Archijerej Zombie Petry

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Seems like this time we've got a good one. Suzuki/Caufield is something to build upon. If Kotkaniemi pans out, we'll be in a pretty good shape at forward.

4. 26Mats #FireBergevin

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I think the puck bounced off of the player checking Suzuki's skate.

5. Archijerej Zombie Petry

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Nick Suzuki?

tooji and DAChampion like this.
  6. JustAHabFan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    There is another Jets skater behind Suzuki (PLD I think). We have to give Caufield credit to see the puck, walk around the Jets player, freeze the goalie and make a hard pass through two Jets player and their goalie to allow Toffoli to score.

7. 26Mats #FireBergevin

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    yeah it was a great play. I'm still trying to figure out if Cole intentionally banked the puck off the players skate or if he was trying to knock the puck into the corner and then side step Copp to go retrieve it...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  8. dackelljuneaubulis02 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    the move on Copp was exactly why you let him make whatever moves he wants. This isn't Galchenyuk here.

CC has superstar hands and superstar shiftiness. And hopefully he's putting to rest the 'if he's anywhere near Cammy, it'll be a win'. Cammy didn't/doesn't have CC's tools. He was a playoff beast for us but you can clearly see CC's ceiling being much higher.

He just has no right to have had the impact he's had in these playoffs at this age. 2OT winners that we're 90% all him at least in the freakin' playoffs??? Scary stuff.

9. CristianoRonaldo Repose En Paix Risitas

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Why we always have to exaggerate ?

Gravity, Andrei79 and dinodebino like this.
  10. Gally11 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000

Yeah he had like plans A through C there he was just trying to get the puck out of the scrum and he knew it was either going through them so he was going to get around them or it was going to bounce in his favour (it almost seemed intentional off the skate).. What boggles my mind is how quick he got that pass off to Toffoli, you could tell the D+Dubois had an "oh shit" moment and it was too late their fate was sealed

11. ChesterNimitz Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Sport Administrator
    A team needs players with both attributes as both contribute to a team's median speed levels and allow a team to play fast and hard.

Habs Halifax likes this.
  12. tooji Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
  13. 26Mats #FireBergevin

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    This is why I want Poehling and Brook (and Ylonen, RHP, And Teasdale) to play a full year in Laval next year. Give them one more full year of development before they're no longer eligible to be sent down. Hopefully they dominate and are ready for the NHL in 2022-2023.

montreal likes this.
  14. dackelljuneaubulis02 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    yeah both the move on Copp and the pass are great in isolation. but both together is like 'wow'. He just has such crazy offensive instincts.

If he had the shot of a 20 goal guy, he could still likely be an elite player. But he has a shot that could make him a top 5 goal scorer in the league. That's just scary. I really think top 10 forward in the league is wholly doable.

Born in 1909 likes this.
  15. JustAHabFan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    His shot is what make us win the the last game. As soon as Caufield walkout of the scrum with the puck, the Jets goalie has to put his body against the post because he was worried about Caufield's shot to sneak through. As soon as the pass went through 2 Jets player, Toffoli had half a net to shoot at. Now goalie has to figure out whether he is going to shoot or to pass.

16. dackelljuneaubulis02 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Everyone after Poehling for sure needs another year absolutely. I'm totally fine with another year for Poehling as I'd love him to develop as much offense as possible but I think he's pretty damn close. Though you might be right because he could really round out the other areas of his game with another year. I'm sure he'll be getting several cups of coffee. Very good chance when he does, he doesn't get sent back down.

Would be awesome if he could reach another gear offensively. He's too big and fast. One of the biggest question marks was whether he could shoot/score. Doesn't seem like too much of one now.

He could be a low end star like a Gally at his absolute best. Something of that kind of impact I don't think is out of the question. His skills aren't off the charts but they're damn solid when you pair it with that size/skating combo. Wish I saw more him to really get a better idea but you can't argue with that production.

17. dackelljuneaubulis02 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    very true. to have his playmaking coupled with that insane shot, goalies are going to be losing their minds. It's a truly evil combo. He could QB your PP or put em on the left high circle/dot or wherever the f*** it is and he could very possibly be equally effective at both. That's nuts. Ultimately he has to go on the left because there's Ovi/Matthews lite-ish amount of goals to be had there from him but he just gives you WAY too many options. He's a god send.

montreal and Born in 1909 like this.
  18. Gally11 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000

There's a good interview on RDS from Tony Granato on that. He said last year that play in OT where he passed it to Suzuki he shoots that every time, now he's starting to realize the more he passes the puck the more opportunities he'll have to score period because they won't know what to do when he has it on his stick. Pretty cool to watch his development the last two years, you can tell he just lives and breathes it. I don't know if we've ever had this type of player in our system since I've been a fan, we've had great players but this guy there's just something about him when he's on the ice.

19. Redux91 I do Three bullets.

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Coppin Z's In the Bush
    I've watched the replay a dozen times, I still cant get over how fast he ZIPPED that puck to Toffoli

In fact the pass AND the shot were so FAST you have a hard time seeing the puck at all in the replay, it's crazy lol

Watching Live the only way I could tell if the puck went in were all the arms raising in celebration lol

Born in 1909 and dinodebino like this.
  20. Redux91 I do Three bullets.

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Coppin Z's In the Bush
    This is also correct, theres ZERO doubt hellebuyck went "oh shit it's that lil guy that likes to shoot get ready" when he saw CC come out with the puck, EVEN WITH Morrissey in perfect shot block position the goalie was thinking shot all the way
    The huge tell is watching hellebuyck WTF throw his stick as hes turning following the pass like WHOA what just happened.. did we just lose? Lmao

Born in 1909 and dinodebino like this.
  21. yianik Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Like the man said, nobody ever said a prospect was ruined because he was brought up too slowly

22. FLHabs Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Let's not forget and give proper credit to Tony Granato for the work he did with Caufield last year. IMO, he was a very important part in his game rising to the level it is now. I'm sure Caufield would say the same.

23. Habs13 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 70,787
    Jets fans om HF were calling him Cold Coffee. And then he burned them on the series winning goal, with a beauty pass to Tofolli. Gotta love that.

Also. It's Gole Caufield, you twits. Cold coffee. Whatever.

24. Garbageyuk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Let's wait until he puts up numbers like Cammalleri did in the playoffs before we say that.

Anyway, love this kid; he's my favorite Hab already. He's got the passion and tenacity of Gallagher, but he's smarter and has twice the skill.

Born in 1909 likes this.
  25. mols47 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Tenacity of Gallagher? Let's not get carried away here.