Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TouzY

Dec 1, 2014
Quebec
Cole was a constant Threat last night, if Dom wanted to win he would of put him on the ICE alot more.
The fact this kid adapts so quick is just mindblowing.
Something will happen if the coach ever gives him a chance.
Coach is playing NOT TO LOSE instead of playing to WIN

Reactions: Tuggy

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The kid has it. He will have a great career and hopefully a management team will be in place that surrounds him with a decent core of talent.

Yeah, he’s a special talent.

Now they need to look at maximizing his utilization. I don’t care how inexperienced he is, he is the type of guy that should be playing PP1 minutes for 1:20 out of a 2min PP.

5 on 5 he needs to play with someone that can find him. I think he could be absolutely lethal playing with Suzuki and Toffoli or even with KK and Anderson.

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
Yeah, he’s a special talent.

Now they need to look at maximizing his utilization. I don’t care how inexperienced he is, he is the type of guy that should be playing PP1 minutes for 1:20 out of a 2min PP.

5 on 5 he needs to play with someone that can find him. I think he could be absolutely lethal playing with Suzuki and Toffoli or even with KK and Anderson.

I don't like the fit with Toffoli. He should play with Anderson. Both play a high tempo game and Anderson would create space for him.

Might be dynamite with Gallagher too. He would always have a guy in front of the net.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I don't like the fit with Toffoli. He should play with Anderson. Both play a high tempo game and Anderson would create space for him.

Might be dynamite with Gallagher too. He would always have a guy in front of the net.

The only problem with those guys is it forces one of them to the LW. Toffoli easily plays the left, and he’s a far better playmaker than those two.

I don’t disagree with you though. Pretty much anyone can work with Anderson & Gally.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Cole was a constant Threat last night, if Dom wanted to win he would of put him on the ICE alot more.

The guy is coaching based on reputation and stereotypes. He analyzes the game through those lenses as well. Decision-making has been done based on paper analysis, not on what happens on the ice.

This is a case when a guy tries to be "smarter than the system", but fails miserably (the word system is used in a generic way here).

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The guy is coaching based on reputation and stereotypes. He analyzes the game through those lenses as well. Decision-making has been done based on paper analysis, not on what happens on the ice.

This is a case when a guy tries to be "smarter than the system", but fails miserably (the word system is used in a generic way here).

This is really not what I expected of Ducharme.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
This is really not what I expected of Ducharme.
I agree, Ducharme to me is by far the biggest disappointment of this season. The Habs are still a decent team on paper, but he is completely unable to achieve any level of consistency. I don't understand his decisions at all. Ive seen enough, I don't want him or MB near Caufield from next season on.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The brain-dead easy shit is to put him with Kotkaniemi and put someone you trust defensively on their opposite wing, like Lehkonen.

Then you put Caufield on BOTH PP units and put him on the Ovechkin spot on both.

I can't believe professional coaches don't know enough about their players to optimize their usage.

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The brain-dead easy shit is to put him with Kotkaniemi and put someone you trust defensively on their opposite wing, like Lehkonen.

Then you put Caufield on BOTH PP units and put him on the Ovechkin spot on both.

I can't believe professional coaches don't know enough about their players to optimize their usage.

They have to make him a better person first. Come on WTK, you know this.

It’s Montreal Canadiens coaching 101.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021

They think they're smarter than the rest.

Subvert expectations.:sarcasm:

Reactions: WeThreeKings

BarracudaMtl

Apr 15, 2018
So after only 7GP, he’s already 6th in goal scoring in the NHL from his draft class.

and .... just saying

upload_2021-5-7_9-56-28.png

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I agree, Ducharme to me is by far the biggest disappointment of this season. The Habs are still a decent team on paper, but he is completely unable to achieve any level of consistency. I don't understand his decisions at all. Ive seen enough, I don't want him or MB near Caufield from next season on.

Julien wasn't able to get any level of consistency in the last few years either and he didn't have to manage a 22 games in 38 days schedule.

After how many coaches do we decided that the problem might not be the coaches but the players leadership?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Remember how Therrien wanted Eller to fail? It was absolutely ridiculous and pathetic. Therrien would undermine the team just to undermine Eller.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Julien wasn't able to get any level of consistency in the last few years either and he didn't have to manage a 22 games in 38 days schedule.

After how many coaches do we decided that the problem might not be the coaches but the players leadership?

It can be multiple factors.. but brain dead coaching decisions over the last couple of games alone aren't fatigue or schedule related:
Using Allen against the Sens then Primeau against the Leafs, on a back 2 back, with the rested Leafs waiting? Just stupid.
The Caufield usage and PP deployment.
The Staal usage and PP deployment.
Then in the Ottawa game putting the Staal line out against their rookie pairing? Why would you undermine your own advantage?

It's just stupidity, the other factors don't come in to play for that.

Reactions: DAChampion

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012

Look at all the metrics, this team has been substantially worse with Ducharme than it was with Julien, especially at 5 on 5. I'm not arguing the players are a major part of the problem here, but the constant line juggling, the lack of aggressiveness on the forecheck, the way the team plays D, that's all gotten way worse with Ducharme. I'm not a Claude fan, I usually don't give a shit about who coaches honestly, I didn't even care that much about Therrien, but what Ducharme does right now is so blatantly bad in my eyes, I want him gone, I'm done, I don't believe he has what it takes, I'm sorry. Plus, let's not forget he was here the last few years, it's not like this guy just was given a job in a totally new environment.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I like how some fans of other teams mention that Caufield's scored "easy goals" so far...The guy is a goal scorer, what the f*** do you expect him to do? If they're so easy, then why don't more of our forwards score some of these "easy" goals?

Reason 1- They don't see the play develop fast enough and put themselves in a position to score those goals.

Reason 2- Even if they DO see they play develop, they miss their shot, the puck, or the net completely.

Scoring goals consistently is a skill...if it was so easy, more players would do it.

The guy has only played 7 games in the NHL and already has 3 goals with limited TOI and new line mates every game. Give him a f***ing chance to get used to the speed. Don't worry, he will create plays soon as well.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
hopefully the whiplash of fan unrealistic expectations doesn't turn into virtiol toward the kid...

to provide impact, he needs to be used in optimal situations (PP, OT, late game when our focus/tactics shift to all out offense), the rest of the time he needs to be sheltered.

This is why Laval may have been the better option. He's clearly got the tools to score at the NHL level, but just as clearly, he doesn't have the tools to contribute outside of scoring... makes his usage and impact a struggle given our roster situation.

anyone pointing fingers or casting doubts on his ability to eventually be a regular NHL contributor at this point can GTFO... just as bad, or worse, than the relentless JKO bashing
The Habs lineup is filled with players who make contributions that don't impact scoring...Caufield has a skill that few on this team have.

There's a spot for him, to be an important contributor on this team if the coaching staff can stop focusing on D.O.B.s.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Uh, not to lose? That’s what you think his decisions are, he’s clearly playing TO LOSE and I don’t know why. There is clearly something wrong. This team is a disaster. Cole is the best player on the team and It’s not even close, Suzuki is next and still hasn’t really shown the type of skills Cole has.
Bambi ( KK ) has got to learn to skate soon or it’s over for him.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I like how some fans of other teams mention that Caufield's scored "easy goals" so far...The guy is a goal scorer, what the f*** do you expect him to do? If they're so easy, then why don't more of our forwards score some of these "easy" goals?

People are saying that? Yeah a 5’7 kid is going to the net unlike the rest of the team. You know, like Joel Armia who is 6’4 and more than happy to just cycle the puck instead of battle for goals.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Honestly, I just don’t see the hype. Cole has NO one in the Pipeline or on the team that he can play with.. Petry is on his way out and unless Suzuki can hit another gear or KK can learn to skate we once again are losing out on a top 10 pick because of covid 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad