Prospect Info: Cole Caufield II (Montreal 15th overall in 2019 draft) mod warning # 560

How many goals will Caufield score in the 3 development camp scrimmages?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It is rare that an obvious mainstream comparison is accurate. But yes he does play similarly to Debrincat.

I think it is a valid comparison.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
What is it with these kids smiling these days? That's so unprofessional.

sans_t11.jpg

981601980.jpg.1529712146.jpg

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Adding a couple of inches in the next year or two is actually sort of possible, it can happen but I won't get my hopes up for it

I was joking.........that being said, adding an inch after 18 is not common but it does happen

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I'm still not sure about the pick (would have taken Newhook), but at least we finally have an intriguing, exciting prospect. I'd rather have this than going the usual boring defenseman, or grinder type forward route the Habs usually go for outside the top of the draft - it's like they had something against drafting skill in recent years. I think he's a risky pick, but when was the last time we drafted a guy with this much obvious skill?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'm still not sure about the pick (would have taken Newhook), but at least we finally have an intriguing, exciting prospect. I'd rather have this than going the usual boring defenseman, or grinder type forward route the Habs usually go for outside the top of the draft - it's like they had something against drafting skill in recent years. I think he's a risky pick, but when was the last time we drafted a guy with this much obvious skill?

I feel like recent years is when we've finally gotten away from picking those boring types. The last 4 drafts have been varying degrees of sexy

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I feel like recent years is when we've finally gotten away from picking those boring types. The last 4 drafts have been varying degrees of sexy
Idk, I think Kotkaniemi is pretty vanilla for a top 3 pick, and aside from his debut, I wouldn't really call Poehling exciting. That's not to say they won't be good players, I just don't think they are "dynamic" stylistically. Sergachev yeah, I was kind of shocked when the Habs picked him. Hopefully this is a sign Timmins is checking his biases now, and it results in some better drafting.

Reactions: endo519

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a Habs draft pick. The whole size thing is so overblown, and not just in today's NHL. For every guy who's 6'3" and doesn't play to his size, there's a guy that's 5'8" that does.

It's not just current players like Gallagher, DeBrincat and Gaudreau who are opening people's eyes. Players like Richard, Cournoyer and St. Louis have 2 things in common: They're all 5'7" or under, and they're all in the Hall of Fame. I'd also argue that Theo Fleury should join them there. Being small isn't ideal in the NHL but for guys with true talent, it also really doesn't matter.

Reactions: endo519

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Idk, I think Kotkaniemi is pretty vanilla for a top 3 pick, and aside from his debut, I wouldn't really call Poehling exciting. That's not to say they won't be good players, I just don't think they are "dynamic" stylistically. Sergachev yeah, I was kind of shocked when the Habs picked him. Hopefully this is a sign Timmins is checking his biases now, and it results in some better drafting.

Everyone loved the Bitten and Mete picks in '16. People lost their minds over Ikonen and to a slightly lesser degree for Brook. Ylonen, Hillis, McShane and Fonstad were all 'sexy' picks.

Calling KK vanilla makes him sound like he's the Cam York of centers lol. He's just not super flashy but he has the tools to be a #1C and the early returns have been phenomenal.

Poehling wasn't a sexy pick but again so far he's been very very good. Despite the production this year being a bit off he's most definitely improved imo. Skates faster and makes plays at higher speeds.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a Habs draft pick. The whole size thing is so overblown, and not just in today's NHL. For every guy who's 6'3" and doesn't play to his size, there's a guy that's 5'8" that does.

It's not just current players like Gallagher, DeBrincat and Gaudreau who are opening people's eyes. Players like Richard, Cournoyer and St. Louis have 2 things in common: They're all 5'7" or under, and they're all in the Hall of Fame. I'd also argue that Theo Fleury should join them there. Being small isn't ideal in the NHL but for guys with true talent, it also really doesn't matter.

I agree with the overall point that small players are underrated, but those examples are not fair.

Cournoyer was insanely strong and fast.St. Louis had abnormal lower-body strenght.

H.Richard was a Richard with the fire that comes with that; also, he happened to be one of the greatest two-way players of all-time, and one of the greatest skaters of all-time.He was also tough and had no fear.

Caufield is none of these things, and I like the pick a lot.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I agree with the overall point that small players are underrated, but those examples are not fair.

Cournoyer was insanely strong and fast.St. Louis had abnormal lower-body strenght.

H.Richard was a Richard with the fire that comes with that; also, he happened to be one of the greatest two-way players of all-time, and one of the greatest skaters of all-time.He was also tough and had no fear.

Caufield is none of these things, and I like the pick a lot.

No, he's just one of the most dominant goal scorers to come out of the USNDP

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Yeah and that's why I like the pick.But you cannot compare him to the other guys mentioned.

Yet. He's 17. He could very well be an HOF, or a bust. People are not comparing him to H. Richard or the Roadrunner for his actual career projection, they are naming examples of small players that succeed. But let me tell you, at 17 none of those guys were considered future HoFer, obviously, and none of them had the shot/release this guy got. So that's one thing he has over them. Not saying he's better but he could. Like any good prospect with elite attributes. Is Dahlin a future HoFer? Who knows? Anything could happen. But he's so much talented that it's clear he has a safer bet than any b-level prospect. Caufield has an almost Laine/Ovie caliber shot.

Edit : And St-Louis didnt have such tree trunks at 17. Maybe Caufield works out super hard and focuses a lot on his legs and can approach this level of fitness. Again who knows? Dont think its impossible. Ask @Kriss E he's the fitness guru here IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad