Prospect Info: Cole Caufield II (Montreal 15th overall in 2019 draft) mod warning # 560

How many goals will Caufield score in the 3 development camp scrimmages?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
According to Arpon Basu of the Athletic, Cam York was Marc Bergevin's personal pick at 15, and had he been available at 15, the Habs' draft table would have had a massive debate between Caufield and York, and believes the Habs would have ultimately went with York over Caufield because that's how much Bergevin loved York.

Thank God for Timmins and the Flyers.
There is no world out there where Caufield versus York should ever be up to debate. I'm actually worried about them even entertaining the possibility and I don't even hate York. Caufield is clearly and unequivocally the pick to make in that scenario.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
There is no world out there where Caufield versus York should ever be up to debate. I'm actually worried about them even entertaining the possibility and I don't even hate York. Caufield is clearly and unequivocally the pick to make in that scenario.
York is a great prospect.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
According to Arpon Basu of the Athletic, Cam York was Marc Bergevin's personal pick at 15, and had he been available at 15, the Habs' draft table would have had a massive debate between Caufield and York, and believes the Habs would have ultimately went with York over Caufield because that's how much Bergevin loved York.

Basu is FOS.

Bergevin clearly stated that they had to pick between two players that they were not expecting to be available to them. Clearly referring to Caufield and Krebs.

Basu is a clown who is using his faulty conjecture apparatus to suggest that York was the other option due to the later stated bias towards LD's. Bergevin would not and did not tell this clown shoe anything which is why he doesn't have a quote.

Reactions: Acadien86

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Caufield vs Krebs was the only debate and a short one at that....no pun intended

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
He's good, Caufield is just a better prospect IMO, on draft day at the very least.
It's a matter of preference. The difference between them, imo, is that chances are really good that York ends up as a top-4 D, or at the very least a solid NHLer, whereas I think CC either ends up as a consistent 35+ goal guy or a bust. I don't know if there's much chance for an in between scenario with him. That risk scared a lot of teams. I'm fine with them swinging for the fences with this year's pick though.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
for those that aren't aware when watching that vid, that is his soon to be coach at Wisconsin Tony Granato that hugs him at the 1:55 mark. I've heard they are close and was one of the main reasons he and his brother chose to commit there. So for those hoping he will play in the OHL, I would say it's highly unlikely.

imagine the line of caufeil caufeild and dhougie

lol

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Just as additional anecdotal evidence, just look at how Flyer fans reacted when Fletcher passed over Caufield twice:

Check out their real time reactions as the Flyers pick came up, just before the Habs: (Part 2) The Draft is Upon Us; 11th or...wait make that 14th

And then, the rough welcome Cam York got from them on Twitter. The user comments are overwhelmingly against York, some even lambasting him for being a ginger, lol. Apparently Philly has a long history with gingers that they hate. Caufield is either mentioned or inferred repeatedly in the user comments.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Basu is FOS.

Bergevin clearly stated that they had to pick between two players that they were not expecting to be available to them. Clearly referring to Caufield and Krebs.

Basu is a clown who is using his faulty conjecture apparatus to suggest that York was the other option due to the later stated bias towards LD's. Bergevin would not and did not tell this clown shoe anything which is why he doesn't have a quote.

I think they were hesitating between Newhook and Caufield. I am pretty sure that's what was mentioned on draft day.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Imagine he grows this summer. All the size concerns go out the window and we have one of the top prospects in the world.
I'd love for him to grow a few inches just to see the back paddling some posters would have to do considering the fuss made about his size on draft night.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I'm lukewarm with this pick. Yes, it's good to pick a player that was a consensus top 10 where we were picking. However, his size is a concern considering all our other talented players/prospects @ forward are not big or very physical (maybe Poehling?).

Some will make an arguement that talent trumps size but it doesn't have to be an either/or debate. There were other talented players available. And for those pointing to McCarron, well he was a bad pick from the very beginning... most of us knew this when he was picked.

Obviously the Habs scouts have seen these players much more so I will keep an open mind but I don't want to relive another "smurfs" episode... talent > size but size is still a very important aspect even in today's NHL.

Meh, who cares. This is a the No Hit League, Cole will survive.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016

I really think this story is skewed - Bergy mentioned that the pick of the Flyers helped determine their pick / Timmins said it gave them a help - for some reason Arpon keeps saying that it meant that Berg wanted York by saying this but I didn't interpret it that way at all, but rather that Flyers DIDN'T pick York which ALLOWED Habs to have York.
Anyways, I keep hear him saying this on his podcast, radio, articles etc.. and disagree with it so had to vent.
Vent over.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Basu is FOS.

I like Basu, but just wrote the same thing - he interpreted what MB said the wrong way...they always wanted Caufield over York but just didn't expect him there.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think they were hesitating between Newhook and Caufield. I am pretty sure that's what was mentioned on draft day.

Newhook was never mentioned. He specifically said that two players that they didn't expect to be there were there to choose between. That would likely be Caufield and Krebs/Newhook but it was never confirmed nor is it likely ever to be confirmed.

This is how HF myths perpetuate themselves. It is from confabulation often due to misinterpretation, poor reading comprehension and archetypal paraphrasing.

Reactions: 417

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I like Basu, but just wrote the same thing - he interpreted what MB said the wrong way...they always wanted Caufield over York but just didn't expect him there.

It is amazing how dense people are, especially a person in his position who has a professional responsibility to interpret such statements accurately. This is why the mean IQ his higher than the mode.......

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
No, he's just one of the most dominant goal scorers to come out of the USNDP
Well numbers would say THE most dominant actually lol... But i get the other guy's point still... Let's wait and see, i honestly see no reason he can't be a dominant goalscorer as his shot and instincts have nothin to do with size so he's gonna score lots of goals in the nhl imo, he could cleanly beat most nhl goalies right now if you ask me... Maybe i don't know what i'm talkin about tho...

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I really think this story is skewed - Bergy mentioned that the pick of the Flyers helped determine their pick / Timmins said it gave them a help - for some reason Arpon keeps saying that it meant that Berg wanted York by saying this but I didn't interpret it that way at all, but rather that Flyers DIDN'T pick Caufield which ALLOWED Habs to have him.
Anyways, I keep hear him saying this on his podcast, radio, articles etc.. and disagree with it so had to vent.
Vent over.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
  • mattboldy
    Verified

“Dude I’m easily beating Auston Matthews goal record this year, No problem” - cole caufield
    70w13 likesReply

Funny exchange I thought lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad